So I went to rheumatology.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 24. Jan 2013, 23:55 in Living with Arthritis archive
It was a routine appointment, no more no less, but it did have its lighter side.

Before I saw the clinic nurse I was taken in to have my BP done and my weight measured. The plastic-covered pillow appeared, was wiped over, placed under my left arm, the cuff was wiped and attached to the upper left arm and the button pressed. Cue the tightening, releasing, further tightening, more releasing, and no reading. So we switched to the other arm. Cue the same again. Now I have two sore arms and two very throbby CT scars.

'I'll try another machine,' she said.

We went through the same palaver, this time the cuff tightening even further and my hands turning purple. Still no reading. As my right arm was being strapped in I questioned why the old-fashioned doctor-powered sphyg-thingy was no longer used. The reply?

'This is more efficient, we get through more patients using these,' she said as the FOURTH test began. By this time I was laughing so hard at the notion of efficiency meaning doing the same thing four times that, when we did achieve a reading it was immediately discounted (it was 200 over 180).

Ye gods. :roll: My pain, however, had only just begun. The nurse decided to do the joints count, lots lof lovely squeezing resulting in 13 painful but none inflamed. I am still gently twanging now. I am to have an ultra-sound done on my lumpy left ankle and maybe some physio.

My hips are hurting thanks to the inflamed sacro-iliacs so that will now be a constant companion until I get the knees sorted. Ah yes, the knees. I have at least another 1.5 stones to go and I know what that is going to entail. No matter, it's not deprivation it's necessary, I know that losing the weight is not going to affect the pain levels but if I do get knew knees then that might. Knowing my luck by the time I do qualify they will have upped the age limit again 'cos we're all living longer but as I'm probably going to die ten years earlier than my alloted span will it be worth having them done? As Airwave would say, it's a grin honest! 8) DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Flipping 'eck, DD, it's no wonder the NHS is running out of money when people like you routinely break several BP monitors per visit :o:lol:

I think it's a fact that the electronic ones aren't as accurate as the old hand-pump and stethoscope jobs. I do hope you're feeling OK though. I know the key factor is the difference between the readings but I think that presumes you are still breathing for both.

Please twang from the comfort of the armchair this afternoon.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • wall1409
    wall1409 Member Posts: 294
    Options
    I'm glad I want in the queue after you, lol

Wendy xx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Oh DD
    What a carry-on :lol:
    The old sphygmomanometers {what a mouthful} were more accurate
    Thats the type I used to use. I felt sorry for the poor patients when I was training....I'm sure I did it too tight :oops:
    Are you surviving after all that??
    Twang quietly please :lol:

Love
    Hileena
  • ShulaArcher
    ShulaArcher Member Posts: 174
    Options
    Hi

Crikey! That was an appointment and a half.

Keep smiling
    Shula
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    well was begining to think you were the living dead with no blood pressure mine always up when got to docs as get worked up but at hospital has been spot on that i do not understand at all as i am more worked up than anything then why do the tend to press sore places just so they can tell us they sore we know we live with them hey chemo kicks it into touch but bit ott way to get the meds lol good luck have knees done for sure got to be good and you will get weight down it will come off much easyer in summer and it just around the corner honest val
    val
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    After all that I hope there is no stair climbing to be done today and lots of rest instead. LV xx
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Options
    Hi DD
    That sounds like an eventful appointment! You never like to do things by halves!
    Glad they found your BP eventually. I hope your scan date comes round soon.
    I am with you on the losing weight thing. Hmmpphh. I have lost over 2 stones since October and hope to get some recognition of thus when I see the Consultant on Thursday! I still have a bit more to go, but it is going to have to diet based as exercise is a no no. We can try to drop the 1 and a half together if you want. Boring, smaller portions, no (well little) alcohol, and limiting bread which for me has to have cheese with it :roll: .........yum, cheese......ahem sorry got carried away there!
    Take care
    NB
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Oh god DD what a blinking palaver it could only happen to you, you don't do things by halves do you?, hope you have been sitting with the feet up since you came home and the twanging is at least giving out a decent tune :lol: hope OH pampers you well tonight...............Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    DD hope you are now taking things easy, these appointment take it out of us...especially the ones you have.....talk about not doing things by halves...you take care....xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    There's a new young nurse at my gps she prefers the old way says the new ones are rubbish. Mig
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I went back to work today, just the one lesson but ye gods that was enough on top of this morning's 'adventures'. I have another tomorrow and believe me, I can wait.

The hurty joints were in my fingers, my right wrist, both elbows and my shoulders but I'm not really surprised about that because I haven't been able to use my usual walking aids; I've had to revert to the pine walking sticks and they ain't cutting the mustard. I did use my ice-gripped crutches today and don't I know it. :roll: I've also added weight thanks to the combined 'efforts' of immobility and Christmas. I care not. It will be shifted. End of.

Now I have to go and cook, does the fun ever end? No. Dammit. DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    Take things easy, on the hands front, tomorrow. Remember today :) and that you have a lesson later. Getting back into the old routine is not easy after a double op and a long lay off. Try to sidle in gently so that your joints don't notice :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    Oh DD, is nothing ever straightforward :lol:
    I hope you have the chance to rest this evening, and stuff stops twanging.
    All the best,
    Numpty
  • shandy4greenday
    shandy4greenday Member Posts: 344
    Options
    I have my first hospital appointment in the morning after reading this it's enough to make e run a mile now :lol: Well I hope I have better luck than you tomorrow :D
  • Nasic
    Nasic Member Posts: 16
    Options
    DD, destroyer of BP machines!
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hmmmm, a new name for yours truly. DD = Dark Destroyer. I like. 8)

Life is feeling deeply unpleasant today. :( I'm wandering about (or rather tottering, lurching and staggering) quietly singing D-ream's glorious song: Things . . . . can only get worser . . . . can only get worser . . . . 'cos that's my life (repeat ad nauseam). He's working at hime AGAIN - 200 stairs already this morning thanks to his telephonic umbilical cord. :x Thank gawd he's going out this afternoon.

I have some ironing to do, I'm sitting here waiting for the co-cos to dull me to some extent so that is feasible. Onwards and sideways! :D
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    dd who was just telling to to take it easy on the other side and you talking about ironing what are you like by way morf much better than co cods lol must start getting off it lol but need pain to **** off first val
    val
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I think DD means (Dangerous Destroyer!) How many BP machines did you break in the end? I wonder if it's a record? When they can't get a reading of my BP at the hospital I just say 'didn't you I'm a vampire?' it does break the ice and we have a laugh! I do know most of the nurses at the orthopedic centre at the Alex hospital now!!
    You take it easy today if your creaking and hurting! And (in my police voice!) ' put down the iron and move away from it' Give yourself a rest and let yourself recover from poking and prodding!
  • kathe
    kathe Member Posts: 183
    Options
    Off , all they put you true. Hope you get some rest and feel better soon.
    Thinking of you.
    Kathe :-)
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Options
    DD, after what you've been through. I do hope you are still resting up (hopefully still in bed at this time) and try not to do the ironing etc.

I got a good telling off yesterday from hubby. Trying to do to much and he sent me to bed.

I do hope you will feel a bit better today, at least it's friday. yey.
    Karen xx