Been To See Consultant @ Wrightington

Options
elainebadknee
elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
edited 23. Jan 2013, 06:31 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi

I have been to snowy Wrightington this morning as been having pain in my TKR which is 12 weeks old....I had been getting the pain down the lateral side of the knee...
I saw the registrar who said that within the mechanism of my new knee there is the 2 bits of the knee and it has a plastic sleeve type bit between which allows it to slide and move fully...He explained that as they had to peel away layers to do the operation and stitch it all back together...What it was was the ligament that knits togteher...he felt my leg and had me up on the couch and said because my knee was still hot at the siides but not on top, that the ligament is still healing but the top of the scar has healed...He said there was no wobbling of the joint which indicated it was all in place as it should be...He also felt me as i tried to get my leg straight down on ground, still got a bit of work to do there but my bend is over 90 degrees...
So overall it is still early days, i keep getting told, but then people ask me when im going back to work too? But I still have healing to do and if the pain was to persist for over a year they would be worried...I didnt feel as if i had wasted anyone's time as this is new ground for me, new knee...
Im just going to have to be patient i guess...

Elainexx

Comments

• kentishlady
    kentishlady Member Posts: 809
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello. Glad your appointment went well. Well done for braving the snowy conditions.Take care. Beryl
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    So, all is going to plan. That's good and it's always good to have the right people say so :)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Beryl

Yes first snow we have seen but afraid Sol the Beany Frog didn't like it, was terrified!..All did go well and it's nice for someone to tell you it is all normal...

Elainexx
    Hello. Glad your appointment went well. Well done for braving the snowy conditions.Take care. Beryl
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Sticky

Yes it is nice and I didn't know about that plastic sleeve thing...It all makes sense now and although I do worry a bit it's good that they understand I am not sure what to expect...

Elainexx
    So, all is going to plan. That's good and it's always good to have the right people say so :)
  • pegleg
    pegleg Member Posts: 139
    Options
    Glad all's well and your mind has been put to rest :) , my consultant let me have an xray at 12 weeks because my silly PT kept saying she thought it was a faulty joint ! , he completly put my mind at rest and sent the PT dept a very stiff letter ! lol , onward and upward we go :D x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Elaine
    That is such good news, I was wondering if you would be able to get there today...had they gritted the hospital grounds, I am glad what your going through is normal....must have put your mind at rest.
    You take care xxx
    PSI have just got back from my injections....
    Love
    Barbara
  • ShulaArcher
    ShulaArcher Member Posts: 174
    Options
    Hello

Your Registrar sounds excellent. Nice to hear about Wrightington; I used to live near Ormskirk and my father spent a long time in Wrightington Hospital. I can't imagine going up and over Parbold Hill in the snow though!

Best wishes
    Shula
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Options
    So pleased that you have had you're mind pus to rest. You now know that everything is healing as it should do.

It must be a relief for you. And managing to get to the hospital as well.
    Karen xx
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Pegleg

That must have been a bit frightening, sounds like the PT was scaremongering a bit?

Elainexx
    pegleg wrote:
    Glad all's well and your mind has been put to rest :) , my consultant let me have an xray at 12 weeks because my silly PT kept saying she thought it was a faulty joint ! , he completly put my mind at rest and sent the PT dept a very stiff letter ! lol , onward and upward we go :D x
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Barbara

Yes they had snow shovels out and grit too..Car park wasn't so bad, like I said its first snow we have seen and they couldn't get over cumbria, well my bit hasn't had any....
    It was nice to be treated and not made to feel silly...

Elainexx
    barbara12 wrote:
    Hello Elaine
    That is such good news, I was wondering if you would be able to get there today...had they gritted the hospital grounds, I am glad what your going through is normal....must have put your mind at rest.
    You take care xxx
    PSI have just got back from my injections....
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Shula

He was nice in fact i recognised him from my stay in hospital when he came to my bed to talk to me and i had to take him to one side and tell him his zip were undone! I didn't remind him!....I dont know where Parbold Hill is but maybe that is near my consultant's home as he was late!

Elainexx
    Hello

Your Registrar sounds excellent. Nice to hear about Wrightington; I used to live near Ormskirk and my father spent a long time in Wrightington Hospital. I can't imagine going up and over Parbold Hill in the snow though!

Best wishes
    Shula
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Karen

Yes its amazing how the body does heal considering what its gone through isn't it? Im glad he didn't think it was any cause for concern, I did apologise, said sorry if was worrying unnecesary but he told me not to worry and that they would rather hear from me than wonder in silence...

Elainexx
    constable wrote:
    So pleased that you have had you're mind pus to rest. You now know that everything is healing as it should do.

It must be a relief for you. And managing to get to the hospital as well.
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Options
    Hi Elaine
    I am pleased that you got some reassurance from the Registrar. It helps when you can have things explained, or your mind can run away with itself (well mine does!!)
    I hope that the snow is less by Thursday as I am there then, and there is a lot of snow here before I try to reach Wrightington!
    Take care
    NB
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi NB

How the heck are you because last week you were having a hellish time weren't you with the pain and lack of sleep?
    My mind is exactly like yours, it runs away and all i have to ask and compare with it my dad and sometimes he tells me he had the same pains or sometimes he just cant remember. I did like that big fella I saw today, he has a nice demeanour about him and I think that helps....
    Im not sure how much snow will fall down at Wigan...Do you have to travel far? We still haven't had any up here in mint cake city....

Good Luck on Thursday...We keep missing each other - intentional lol?

Elainexx
    Hi Elaine
    I am pleased that you got some reassurance from the Registrar. It helps when you can have things explained, or your mind can run away with itself (well mine does!!)
    I hope that the snow is less by Thursday as I am there then, and there is a lot of snow here before I try to reach Wrightington!
    Take care
    NB
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    That's good Elaine he sounds a lovely big chap, did he have the grace to :oops: when you told him about his fly :lol:, pleased it went well for you and everything seems to be on track we are all different and some take longer than others to heal, glad the snow wasn't to bad and you got to your appoinment ok, snow was lying here this morning and has now disappeared.........Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Marie

When I told him about his fly on the ward he just zipped and laughed...As a gay woman it didn't bother me but thought he would want to know...
    He told me and people keep telling me this - its early days...It doesn't feel like early days, operation seems an age ago....

I hope you are doing okay with that appeal me dear?

Elainexx
    villier wrote:
    That's good Elaine he sounds a lovely big chap, did he have the grace to :oops: when you told him about his fly :lol:, pleased it went well for you and everything seems to be on track we are all different and some take longer than others to heal, glad the snow wasn't to bad and you got to your appoinment ok, snow was lying here this morning and has now disappeared.........Marie xx
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Options
    Hi Elaine
    I am still having a lot of pain and problems walking. I am sleeping a little better now using the 2 x Dihydrocodeine. I have about 20 miles each way to get there on Thursday, mainly motorway. Mr NB will drive me as it is not comfortable driving at the moment, and I want moral support too.
    Yes we keep missing each other! definately not intentional!! My clinics are always Thursday afternoons.
    NB
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi

Well that's good Mr NB will drive you, have to admit dad drove today as I haven't driven for longer than 15 mins so was glad of that...20 miles away could be tricky as that's where there is more snow isn't it? Im glad your'e getting a wee bit more sleep, that can make a difference sometimes!
    Okay next till I'll catch you, lol! Good luck on thursday!

Elainexx

Hi Elaine
    I am still having a lot of pain and problems walking. I am sleeping a little better now using the 2 x Dihydrocodeine. I have about 20 miles each way to get there on Thursday, mainly motorway. Mr NB will drive me as it is not comfortable driving at the moment, and I want moral support too.
    Yes we keep missing each other! definately not intentional!! My clinics are always Thursday afternoons.
    NB
  • jilly
    jilly Member Posts: 503
    Options
    Hi Elaine , Glad to hear all went well today it is worrying when you have pain and dont know if it is normal. I have had 2 TKR and found it as taken me 12 months both times for everything to settle down and feel like they are my knees lol.
    I went to Wrightington today , so that is twice we have been there at the same time , I was there on the day you went in to have the op. I only live about 8 miles away and worried about parbold hill with the snow. Do you have a brew in the little cafe when you go , i missed it being open today we normally have a current teacake and a brew .
    Hope you have less pain and it all goes well for you now ,,,,,,jilly x
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Sounds like he put your mind at rest.You just need time for healing now,

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • Mutley1964
    Mutley1964 Member Posts: 19
    Options
    Hi Elaine,
    So glad you've got the answers you were looking for! Have you got total peace of mind now that everything is ok and recovering as it should be? Did you mention about the knee giving way when you went shopping? How did he explain that one or is it still early days and like me, a lack of stability due to not being able to straighten the leg properly? Really hope you feel happier now you've spoken to the man who 'hopefully' know's what's what!
    I had a call from my surgeons secretary 1st thing today & I'm now booked in for the manipulation a week Thursday :-)
    Big hugs and lets keep in touch :-)
    Jaki x
  • Mutley1964
    Mutley1964 Member Posts: 19
    Options
    ....does this now mean your gonna change your forum name to, "Elainegettingbetterknee"??!!!
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Jilly

Ah so you were there today too? My appointment was 09.15 and I got taken at 10.30 VR's registrar..Me and my dad actually had teacakes and hot drinks today but she was on her own, run ragged, she had no change either so maybe she ran out of suppplies...I only had £2 in change on me and it should have been £2.30 she let me off with the 30p defecit....
    I have now accepted that my knee will take a while to settle down and I will have to keep asking questions, not feeling guilty for doing so...The registrar said eventually my knees will feel normal but it will be a new adjusted normal if you get what I mean...
    Another person ive dodged meeting then, will do one day!lol!

Elainexx
    jilly wrote:
    Hi Elaine , Glad to hear all went well today it is worrying when you have pain and dont know if it is normal. I have had 2 TKR and found it as taken me 12 months both times for everything to settle down and feel like they are my knees lol.
    I went to Wrightington today , so that is twice we have been there at the same time , I was there on the day you went in to have the op. I only live about 8 miles away and worried about parbold hill with the snow. Do you have a brew in the little cafe when you go , i missed it being open today we normally have a current teacake and a brew .
    Hope you have less pain and it all goes well for you now ,,,,,,jilly x
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth

Yes that's right and my mind does feel at ease now...I asked him today was there something I could take with me, something printed to know what's normal and what's not so I wouldn't have to bother them again but the registrar didn't seem to be bothered....He was more than happy for me to satisfy my curiosity..

Elainexx
    tkachev wrote:
    Sounds like he put your mind at rest.You just need time for healing now,

Elizabeth
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Jaki

I forgot to ask about my leg giving way, I always have a mental list in my head and always forget to ask something when i have come out...I am satisfied that the ligament is the thing that's causing the problem, it all makes sense...God knows how many layers they cut through, don't bear thinking about...I am happier now that have seen him today and like have said to the others, felt a bit beforehand that i was worrying too much but he didn't make me feel like that one bit..
    Great new your'e booked in for 2 weeks time for your manipulation...It sounds a horrible procedure just the name of it doesn't it? I will try me best to make a mental note to post on here night/day before for good luck for you...

Elainexx

Ps...I wouldn't know how to change my username on here, think I would have to register again and they don't like multiple monika's on here!lol
    Mutley1964 wrote:
    Hi Elaine,
    So glad you've got the answers you were looking for! Have you got total peace of mind now that everything is ok and recovering as it should be? Did you mention about the knee giving way when you went shopping? How did he explain that one or is it still early days and like me, a lack of stability due to not being able to straighten the leg properly? Really hope you feel happier now you've spoken to the man who 'hopefully' know's what's what!
    I had a call from my surgeons secretary 1st thing today & I'm now booked in for the manipulation a week Thursday :-)
    Big hugs and lets keep in touch :-)
    Jaki x