Worried about daughter

Options
shandy4greenday
shandy4greenday Member Posts: 344
edited 22. Jan 2013, 06:05 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have been worrying about my 16 year old daughter for a while now she has shown signs of also having Arthritis like myself but at the top of her leg and cramps everyday especially been worse in this cold weather,at first I thought maybe it will pass but as time has gone on I am now wondering if she has got it too ,like myself I want her to go to see the GP which she was happy to do at first but as soon as I mentioned she may have to have a blood test that was the end of it ,as she is petrified of needles and I didn't want to lie to her or not say anything,I have even mentioned about the anaesthetic cream which is good as my 6 year old had that and didn't feel a thing.Please can anyone suggest an ideas as I can't force her and would rather she gets it checked out why she is still young.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'm sorry I can't remember what sort of arthritis you have Shandy4Greenday. I don't think the top of the leg is a usual place for any to start but then I'm not a doc. If she's so needle-phobic and can't be persuaded down there, I can only think of three possibilities.
    1. Ask the doc's opinion yourself, without taking her down.
    2. Ask NHS Direct.
    3. Wait until she has to go down for something else then slip the question in. However, I realise that could be 12 months or more.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • shandy4greenday
    Options
    Mine is in my hands and wrists I have my hospital appointment in the morning,well it's in her leg anyway she keeps complaining about it and been getting cramp everyday,It may well be nothing which is what I do hope but I just wish she would at least just get it checked out she don't go to doc often enough to mention it maybe when im there next i could try mentioning it.
  • wall1409
    wall1409 Member Posts: 294
    Options
    I keep telling my 21 yr old to go to doc as she seems to have some of my symptoms. Will wait and see what rheumi and neuro decide my diagnosis, then she might have to go. Its so horrible the guilt you feel passing this on and very unfair....Wendy xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Shandy sorry I cant offer any advice, but I do wish your daughter well..and please let us know how she gets on x
    Love
    Barbara
  • shandy4greenday
    Options
    Thankyou I also wanted to see how mine goes too as I might get some idea tomorrow at my hospital visit,she has shown signs even before I was diagnosed I just didn't realise or think anything in it till when I looked back and thought about it all. I will just have to keep an eye on her ,I ask her often how her pain is etc so hopefully eventually I can get her to see the doc if it gets worse I just hope I'm wrong and she is fine.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,471
    Options
    Oh dear

My youngest daughter(15) is a needle and everything phobe too :roll: she has epilepsy so has some reason. When she had 4 teeth out for her brace she had to have gas and air!!

I suspect she wont go until she HAS to because she is too scared :? .

An idea - thinking out of the box - what about her seeing the doc for a referral to a psychologist for some cognitive behavioural therapy re the needle phobia BEFORE it's vital??

love

Toni xx
  • shandy4greenday
    Options
    thankyou for that it all started I think when she had to be put asleep at the dentist and had to have a needle in her hand and when it had to happen again another time she remembered and no matter what the dentist could not treat her they sent her away cause they couldn't hold her down she was too strong and wouldn't treat her and ever since then she has been petrified thankyou for that advise it is worth a try anything is worth a try as I would like to see if it is nothing or not.
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    When you said 'she has cramps in the top of her leg' 1st thing that came to my mind was a muscle problem rather than joint. I would get as much advice from different people and internet before sending her for blood tests. Call NHS Direct & Arthritis Care helpline. Talk with medical people and read up about muscle cramps in teenagers. Even go and see your G.P with her so she has support, she doesn't have to have any blood tests that same day, she may not even need a blood test. Make sure she understands she doesn't have to go through anything she doesn't want to. I'm still needle phobic after all these years of having to have different injections!! My worse fear is epidual needles anything with a long needle!! And of course dentist injections after my anaphylactic Shock that caused my heart to stop beating! I hope she see's a doctor and gets a reason for the cramps sorted and that she hasn't got the start of Arthritis.