SNOW - can't get in - DO I GET PAID...?

Options
freesia
freesia Member Posts: 409
edited 28. Jan 2013, 19:44 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi "guys & girls" - Hope you are all keeping well & warm.....x

With this dreadful snowy & icey weather, and the simple fact I cannot walk far, I simply cannot get into work. I can't drive in and taxi's can't get to the house..... does any one know the situation whether or not one gets paid for not working on snowy day's....

Or are you expected to take sickleave / holiday or unpaid leave...??

I would be very grateful for any advice or similar situations & solutions...

Many thanks...
hugs freesia xxx

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Freesia

I am sorry that you cannot get into work although you would like to do so.

I have no idea what kind of work you do, part time or full time or if you could work remotely from home. Surely the only way to find out is to contact where you work and explain the situation and ask the question will you be paid if they cannot think of a way to get you to work.

Some places of work are much more lenient than others, depending on how long you have worked, can they cover for you, what you do at work, for example and what type of company makes a difference too.

If you work part time could you make the hours up?

I hope you get this problem resolved soon.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I guess it all comes down to one's contract and the small print therein. Has your workplace remained open? Are you the only member of the workforce who can't get in? Maybe your boss is the best person to ask about this, he should have the answer because he surely he knows the terms and conditions of your employment. I hope the answer is a positive one. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • wall1409
    wall1409 Member Posts: 294
    Options
    I work for a county council and if we try to get to work but fail due to conditions then we get paid, so worth checking with HR.

Wendy x
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Hi,
    I work for a Local Authority. If we can't get to our usual place of work we can either work from home (if set up to do so) or go to the next nearest base and work from there. If you can't do that you have to take it as unpaid, flexi (toil) or annual leave. If our workplace is closed and an alternative isn't available then we are at home on normal pay.

Whatever we chose to do has to be sanctioned by line management - rightfully so in my view. However, we are told that we should not take risks or endanger ourselves getting to/from work.

I'd speak to your Line Manager if I were you. As others have said if you are part-time you could probably make the hours up. If you don't want to use your annual leave up then you may need to have a day's unpaid leave.

Whatever you do stay safe.
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    They spoke about this on tv today. They said that employers are under no obligation to pay you if you can't get in to work. You would have to have a day off unpaid unless they were willing to pay you or let you put in a day's holiday. You would need to ask your employer about it.
    Christine
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    Hi

I remember working for cumbria county council in penrith, I live in kendal...Anywhow when it was bad snow couple years back I couldn't get to work they had closed Shap so I had to call off...I did so again in the floods as again my car couldn't get on the road..
    They were horrible about it and reckoned I hadn't made an effort enough and the manager claimed she had no problem gettting from a rural location...Difference being she had 4x4 I had sloda fabia... Could not beleive it and thought them total ****holes for telling me off

Elainexx

quote="freesia"]Hi "guys & girls" - Hope you are all keeping well & warm.....x

With this dreadful snowy & icey weather, and the simple fact I cannot walk far, I simply cannot get into work. I can't drive in and taxi's can't get to the house..... does any one know the situation whether or not one gets paid for not working on snowy day's....

Or are you expected to take sickleave / holiday or unpaid leave...??

I would be very grateful for any advice or similar situations & solutions...

Many thanks...[/quote]
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    Hi
    I worked for the NHS and it was 20miles to get to work
    We had to take annual leave or unpaid leave I used to save some of my A/L for such days
    I have a friend who is a teacher she gets a snow day but not sure if its paid
    Keep warm in this cold cold weather
    Maria
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi freesia
    I do hope the weather is much better for you, hopefully they will pay you but like DD says its all down to contracts..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello Freesia, have you been able to find out what your position is regarding your pay? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • freesia
    freesia Member Posts: 409
    Options
    Thanks peeps....

I gotta take unpaid leave / holiday or work extra at another time.....

Don't know when I'm suppose to fit extra hours in as I work 5 days a week as it is.... :?

I do know that "they" cannot discriminate or discipline me for not being able to get into work "if" I have taken all reasonable steps to attend...

The nature of my work, does not allow me to work from home or another place....

Thankfully the snow is subsiding, and back to work....

PS... there is nothing in my contract to cover this matter / and I don't believe it has ever arisen in our workplace before... :|
    hugs freesia xxx
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    Hi
    In the past Ive had dreadful time getting to work because of the snow
    We now have a policy added to our sickness 1 saying If we cant get in then we need to either take A/L or unpaid leave & we are not allowed to ring in sick as this increases the % of sickness we have
    Keep warm
    Maria
  • Sparkys6887
    Sparkys6887 Member Posts: 58
    Options
    Are you in a trade union? I vaguely remember a few years ago my dad helped a member of staff who didn't have this written into their contract. Under European law if the employer has omitted to put it in the contract then the contract is deemed favorable to the employee. In this instance the employee was paid. It was a few years ago but might be worth checking??