what type of arthritis do i av

Options
kellie1981
kellie1981 Member Posts: 4
edited 23. Jan 2013, 08:40 in Living with Arthritis archive
I av arthetis but dont no wot type my symptons are severe pain in my knees when i rest im findin it difficult to get in and out of the bath really hard to walk upstairs .i only have flair ups now and again but the pain gets worse each time my knee also swells and makes grindin noises when i bend or move ive also been told i av varicoise veins due to my knees and my painkillers dont work and i cant.have the injections plz help im so confussed

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Only your doctor can tell you which type of arthritis you have, Kellie, but, if it's just in your knees and if you've not been referred to a rheumatologist, my guess would be he thinks it's osteo. The treatment for that is pain relief and exercise. Physio might help and/or a Pain Clinic.

If your pain relief doesn't work there are probably different tablets that could be prescribed. What are you taking?

I haven't heard of arthritis causing varicose veins though it's possible to have both and I believe they, too, can be very painful.

There is equipment that would make getting in and out of the bath easier. Have you ever seen an Occupational Therapist?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi kellie
    And a warm welcome from me, only I am sorry you had to look for us in the first place...
    Lots of us strive for a proper diagnosis, it can take a while...x rays blood test....xrays can shows if there is damaged to the joints blood test show up inflammation...you do need to see a consultant and only your GP can refer you...so you keep on at them x
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello kellie, you need to see your GP about this, and repeatedly if necessary. Does your knee (or knees) feel hot when they are swollen? Do they feel hot to the touch when they're not? Grinding noises are common even with those who don't have arthritis, painkillers don't kill the pain, they only soften the sharper edges. What sort of injections can't you have? The only ones I know of for knees are steroid injections which are usually done after fluid has been removed.

Osteo arthritis is the most common form and it sounds as this is what you may have but your GP is the one to advise you and treat you if this proves to be the case. Xrays can be done and maybe a blood test to rule out an auto-immune form. Have you ever taken anti-inflammatory tablets? They can ease the swelling and make life a little more comfortable. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Kellie
    The same as everyone else.....you need to go and see your GP and if he cant tell you get hime to refer you to a hospital. Rheumy or Ortho. and they will soon tell you

Love
    Hileena