Anyone lived/ traveled abroad with arthritis?

Options
FindingPureJoy
FindingPureJoy Member Posts: 4
edited 23. Jan 2013, 14:17 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hey all-- I'm a 20 year old who was recently re-diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis after being told that I had outgrown it. Original Diagnosis at 4, remission at 13, and re-diagnosed at 20.
My whole life I've wanted to work/ live in Africa for at least a few years. When I was re-diagnosed with Arthritis, that dream kinda crashed and burned and is currently smoldering in a heap under my bed.
Has anyone lived overseas or in a 3rd world country whilst living with Arthritis? And if so... how did you do it? I wouldn't fly back to the States very often, so doctors appointments would be rare. And they don't really have Walgreens Pharmacy on every corner in Uganda.
Is there a way to do this?

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello FindingPureJoy. It’s good to meet you. Well, you’ve had quite an ‘arthritic journey’ already, haven’t you? What a mean beast this disease can be!

First off, I’m wondering if you’ve ever been to Africa as that would give you some idea of how well you could cope there. If not, a short visit to the country of your choice might be a good start before you contemplate living there. You’d need to check if the required vaccinations are compatible with your meds.

Although I’d guess that, in say S.Africa, medical access would be very good, if you’re actually thinking of living in a third world country it’d probably be a whole different ball game. Presumably you’re on DMARDS or anti-tnfs so you’d need access to regular blood tests and meds plus a rheumatologist. I don’t know how thick on the ground they’d be. I imagine medical insurance for you would be sky high.

I think, in your situation, I’d start by talking to my rheumatologist and also contacting the embassy of the country of your choice. I’m pretty sure I’d still want a holiday there first, though. (Mind you, I wasn’t so cautious when I was 20 :) )
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • FindingPureJoy
    FindingPureJoy Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Stickeywicket-- Thanks for your reply! I have traveled out of the country... I spent a month in Uganda about 2 months before I was re-diagnosed, so I don't know what it would be like with the arthritis. I know drugs (at least the kind I need) are in rather short supply there, especially for those in more rural areas. And I don't think rhematologists are commonplace there-- they've got some bigger issues on the ground.
    I hadn't thought about S. Africa, though that's something I should look into. Maybe I'll just have to settle somewhere with a higher population of non-Africans, or close by!
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,428
    Options
    I have no useful information to give you

BUT I would love to know what you decide to do in the end and how you get on there :)

Take care

love

Toni xx

Go YOU!!