Flat feet

Options
blueknees
blueknees Member Posts: 90
edited 27. Jan 2013, 05:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
I went to see a Pediatrist this afternoon, this following a referral from the Physio following referral from GP, etc. etc.

I have always had "fallen arches" (flat feet) and the Pediatrist told me that the flat feet were partly the cause of my knee problems. (TKR in June 2013).

He showed me what the feet do on contact with the ground, turning my ankles inward, that turns my knees inward and causing wear and tear on the joint.

He put two insoles in my shoes that give me an arch, turning my my feet outward and in turn making my knees feel bowed. This has actually straightened my legs and although uncomfortable I can see I will benefit.

Part of my pains are in the inside of the knees - sharp needle like, and caused by my feet.

I just thought I'd put this up here on case anyone else has similar issues.

By the way the insoles make me feel taller as well, about an inch.

(I also have one leg longer than the other and this is due to the new knee) :)

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello, I too have flat feet thanks to my on-going knee troubles. I was given my first pair of orthotics last year and then a second pair (higher and firmer) last November. They make a visible difference in that my knee caps face forwards and an invisible one to how my knees and ankles feel, viz worse. :wink: I'm battling on with them but I reckon it's far too late for them to make any true improvement to matters. Maybe when I get new knees however . . . . . . Good luck with yours and I hope they help. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,428
    Options
    Hi Blueknees

very interesting to read.

I hope the insoles do do the job - it makes sense they will help a lot, though I expect not for existing damage

I also hope you 'get used' to them quickly. :)

love

Toni xxx
  • PowerOn
    PowerOn Member Posts: 200
    Options
    Hello Blueknees.
    I got insoles a few years ago as it was discovered after being told there was nothing wrong with me for years (about 48, I'm 50 now) that I have bent leg bones which cause me to walk wrong putting stress on my knees which has caused OA in both knees and other problems.
    A word of caution.
    You may need to wear the insoles part time for a while until your joints and muscles get used to the new way of working.
    I found that I got a lot of pain the first few months wearing them, to me it felt as if my joints etc had settled facing inwards and now with the insoles were forced into a different position so everthing moved and that was painfull!
    You have a new knee so maybe on that fioot always wear the insole but do take it easy until the joints and muscles get the message!
    Sounds like you are getting good treatment.
    Best joke I ever read, "With that information and a diagnosis of spondylosis, your doctor can develop a treatment plan‏" or back in reality totally ignore you. Is ok I have a sense of humour and a boxing glove, not defeated yet.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello blueknee and welcome to the forum
    This is a big thing in America, if you have insurance that is...you go with knee or hip pain and the first thing they do is watch you walk...and map it out has you walk on a machine....apparently it solves loads of knee probs.
    I do hope it all works out for you, please et us know how you get on.
    Love
    Barbara
  • TeaBag
    TeaBag Member Posts: 101
    Options
    I too have flat feet and never knew i had them untill a Dr asked me what treatment i was getting for them :lol:
  • PowerOn
    PowerOn Member Posts: 200
    Options
    Teabag you made me laugh, that is how I found out I have IBS. maybe it's a NI thing? The locum could not get over that in my notes I had IBS but no one had told me!
    Best joke I ever read, "With that information and a diagnosis of spondylosis, your doctor can develop a treatment plan‏" or back in reality totally ignore you. Is ok I have a sense of humour and a boxing glove, not defeated yet.
  • TeaBag
    TeaBag Member Posts: 101
    Options
    :mrgreen: It could very well be an ni thing nice but dim i think a lot of my health professionals are :lol:
  • blueknees
    blueknees Member Posts: 90
    Options
    I have been looked at by many so called experts over the years, I knew I had fallen arches but only ever had insoles issued once, a few years ago.

When I was at school I had to take my shoes to Alder Hey hospital for the heels to be built up however.

This time the insoles are so high, at least one inch, that they make me feel I am walking bandy legged.

I hope they work :)
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,934
    Options
    Hello Blueknees
    i was born with flat feet i have c palsy i have insoles mine are an inch i also have one leg shorter than the other.
    good luck with the insoles.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • numptynora
    numptynora Member Posts: 782
    Options
    Part of my pains are in the inside of the knees - sharp needle like, and caused by my feet

That could be what is happening to my knee. My arches are fallen, always have been, I will ask my rheumy when I see him again.

Numps x
    Numps x
    Pets come into our lives, and then leave paw-prints on our hearts.
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    I was told by my GP that I had fallen arches. I hadn't noticed this happening. I was referred to orthotics for insoles. Both he and my rheumie said it wasn't actually fallen arches but my toes had curled up with RA making the joints and bones move. The insoles have a bump in the middle of my foot, rather than at the arch, to push the bones up making the rest fall in to place. I was told to start wearing them for about 10 minutes a day and build up till I was wearing them all day. It was fine at first but became so painful I couldn't walk so gave up. I am thinking about giving them another go though.
    Christine