hip supports

newbygran
newbygran Member Posts: 96
edited 27. Jan 2013, 05:52 in Living with Arthritis archive
hi, need advice don't want to waste money, does anyone use a hip support, saw one and wondered if they helped, I have thought of leggy control pants, I am at that stage when my leg is wobbling in out of place and bone rubs :? with an electric shock jolt now and then, and my skin feels bruised, :? does this ever get better

Comments

• hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Newbygran
    Cant say I've come across a hip support :|
    I've had a THR and my other hip is going now and I'm putting off the op
    Sorry I cant help.
    Bumping this up incase someone else knows about it

Love
    Hileena
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    I'm the same as Hileena, had one HRT and now arthur in other hip. But never heard of a hip support. Would be really interested though if you find out more about it. If you do, please let us know wont you.
    Karen xx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    I have just googled hip supports and they are out there. I have no idea how well they would work though. Yes, there would be some support but not sure if enough for your needs. Like the others I had not heard of them before. I can see why you would not like to spend that kind of money on the chance that it may help you.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • Sparkys6887
    Sparkys6887 Member Posts: 58
    Could you ask a Physio Therapist at your local hospital there views? I'm going to ask for Physio next Tim I see my Dr as I'm getting similar symptoms as you. It feels as though my lg is falling out of its joint and ai can't put weight on it. I wondered if my RA was effecting the tendons and weakening the muscles around the joint?
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I think Sparky's given you some good advice there, newbygran. I'd never heard of these either. They might be relatively new. I do know that with knee and ankle supports we re advised not to wear them for too long as it encourages the muscles to go slack and strong muscles are needed to support the joint. Have you tried AC's 'exercises' booklet?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • newbygran
    Thank you for your replys, have down loaded excersizes booklet, as Stickywicket suggested, I am going to try muscle power to help myself, I have decided not to invest in a hip support for now I don't want to lose muscles power, wish me luck , and thanks :roll:
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi newbygran
    I have tried the elasticated hip support,it a bit like a back one you put it on and your joint feels more secure, but once you get use to wearing them they don't really help.
    So you save your money , but please be careful with the exercises your hip joint is a very big one, and the wrong exercises can soon throw it out, there are some good ones to do on the net. x
    Love
    Barbara
  • newbygran
    thanks Barbara,I fancied trying one just in case it helped, not good for the long term, just going to do the floor excersizes to build up muscle, I have other health problems (vertigo)that knock me back and then I cant do much, so slow and steady, other half said he would help, take me walking more now he's retired. let you all know how it goes.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    That sounds like a good, sensible plan. The walking will be lovely, too, once the weather warms up. We always drive to somewhere nice and walk there. Let's know how it goes, newbygran.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright