newly diagnosed

Options
Anniebro
Anniebro Member Posts: 2
edited 29. Jan 2013, 12:02 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
its my first time on this forum and im not sure how it all works so please forgive me if write things as i think them ! :D
Ive recently been told by my GP that i have possibly got arthritus in 5 joints in my neck. many years ago, probably 20, i suffered with what the doctor said was wear n tear pain but now in the last year i have had constant pain and stiffness that really is getting to me :cry:
i started taking herbal remedies 3 months ago and they did help til this cold snap in weather arrived.. now im in so much pain again.. its scary..
is there anyone out there in a similar position that could offer some welcome advice and comfort :D Thankyou

Comments

• LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Anniebro

Welcome to the forum, shame you need us but we're a good bunch so you've come to the right place for some support!

Arthritis comes in many forms and does many things but like you, we all get scared by it at times. Its horrible to feel things change and not know what to do. I can't comment on herbal remedies, they aren't something I've used. Has your doctor prescribed anything? It might be worth asking for a course of physio to see if they can help with the stiffness. In the mean time, maybe a heat pack could help? I'm sure others will be along soon with some better suggestions. As for comfort, here's a big hug (((()))) and as I say, we're here with support by the bucket load. LV
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Hi Anniebro and a big welcome from me you have come to a great forum, I have only been around a few months and the advice and support I have been given has been second to none, being the weekend things can go a bit quiet but I'm sure some of the troopers will be along soon. I take it is osteo arthritis you have in your neck? there are a few that have the same problem although mine has been groaning and creaking for a while now as well, it looks as though you need to get back to your GP and get prescibed some anti-inflamms to see if that helps and maybe some physio as well....................nice to meet you and hope to see you around..........tc...................Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Hello and welcome from me too, Anniebro. 'Wear and tear' is just osteo arthritis by another name. It sounds as if it started off mild but is now getting worse. Some herbal remedies can help some people in the early stages but, when things get bad, stronger stuff is needed.

I think you should go back to your GP. He'll give you some pain relief - or, change it if you're already taking some - and may, if you ask nicely :wink: refer you to a physio. Physio can help a lot but DIY stuff isn't recommended in the neck area as it's too easy to do damage. You need someone in the know telling you what to do.

Other than that, I can only suggest heat (as LV has said) maybe a change of pillow (I swear by my shaped memory foam one though others dislike them) and never ever to go out in the cold, or wind, without having your neck well wrapped up.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Options
    And a big welcome from me too. I think really it has all been said. I have arthur in the neck now. I know how painful it can be. I must admit to taking the stronger stuff for it. Being in that part of the body, I find it affected your arm and shoulder as well. I agree with everyone else, you should go back to the doctor and ask for some pain killers. You shouldn't have to accept the pain.

This is a lovely forum with people with all types and as much as we all suffer, advise and comfort is always to be found here.

Shall look forward to seeing you post around.
    Karen xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hi anniebro, it's nice to meet you and I am glad you have found us. I agree with all the other replies, it may well be time to get some proper medication sorted out as this needs tackling. I have osteo-arthritis in my knees and ankles and it's now beginning in my neck - talk about crunch and grind!

Please go and see your GP and talk over the options with him. GPs are the ones who treat OA and he can refer you to physio for an assessment. The usual treatment is pain relief and possibly an anti-inflammatory medication, heat is good (a wheat bag is ideal as it can drape far better than a hottie!) and I hope you can soon be a little more comfortable in yourself. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    Hello anniebro, and welcome from me too.
    The others have given you some good advice, and I have nothing to add to that.
    You have come to the best place, you will find the people here most helpful and caring.
    Wishing you well,
    Numpty
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    hello and welcome Anniebro
    Like the others have said go back to your GP,he may send you for physio, at the min I am using heat on my neck... its a wheat cushion that you warm in the microwave.
    And there are lots of exercises on the net you could do.
    I do hope you get some joy off your GP, you could ask to be refered to a physio..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • kentishlady
    kentishlady Member Posts: 809
    Options
    Hi Anniebro and welcome to the forum. As the others have said heat is very helpful and I'm currently sitting typing this with my back attached to one! It really does help, in fact any warmth does. I've also recently discovered a pain-relieving gel (Pernaton) which helps me, but might not help everyone. I have 2 other gels which my GP prescribes but am afraid they don't do much to alleviate the pain.

Do hope you can get some pain relief sorted out as soon as possible. You've come to the right place for advice and support as everyone understands what it's like to be suffering with OA or RA and it really does help to be able to 'chat' to people.

Take care and see you around.

Beryl
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi anniebro, welcome to Arthritis Care Forum, the site where we all support each other as we all have some sort of Arthritis. We like to be a shoulder to cry on, an ear when someone needs to just talk, and a friend for when you just need to rant or better celebrate good news! You made the right choice joining us, hope you enjoy it! The others gave you some good advice I hope it helps you.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello again, how are things going for you now? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben