Cancelled op

Options
Milly8
Milly8 Member Posts: 114
edited 24. Feb 2013, 07:56 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have just got back from the hospital where a very lovely nurse told me my op had been cancelled due to the bed crisis and was very sorry no one had phoned me.told me I was the third person this morning who has not been told.i had to phone my doctors pa .she told me the bed manger phoned her yesterday to see who they could cancel but my name was not one of them.she told me they are trying to get people's rearranged but can't say when.they are taking it on a daily basis.the op I can wait for ,I can cope with that but it's staying off my humira that's worrying me more .have not had a jab since 3 jan and now not sure when I will be able to take it.
Bye for now
Milly

Comments

• kentishlady
    kentishlady Member Posts: 809
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Milly. Am so sorry to hear that your op has been cancelled at the last minute, that is so annoying and frustrating but has happened to several people I know and seems to happen far too frequently. Do hope you will get a new date sorted soon. Take care. Beryl
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    Hi Milly,
    I'm sorry that your operation was cancelled.
    They should have informed you first
    It's the bed manager or ward manager that should have informed you
    If a patients op was cancelled on the ward I worked on then the patient would be informed the day before the op. we also ask the patients to ring before they set off if the bed was still available. It might be worth checking with your gp if you can go back on your meds. Did they give you a time scale of when your next appointment would be. It used to be less than 3 months but that's probably all changed as I haven't been there for abt a year and I know other trusts can vary in their policies
    Keep strong
    Maria
  • wall1409
    wall1409 Member Posts: 294
    Options
    So sorry to hear this Milly. I cant really comment as I dont have the same condition but I know how it feels to be waiting for something. Ypu rest and keep warm hun.

Wendy x
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Milly,

In my view the time for gritting your teeth and waiting patiently has gone. Ring the Hospital and lodge a complaint with PALS, and also ask to speak to the bed manager and complain to that person as well. Then ring the appointments line for your hospital and ask when is your operation; ring your consultant's secretary and ask the same question. Ring the appts line and the secretary daily until they get so annoyed with you they get you back in sooner rather than later. Use 'pester power'.

As for the meds - tell the secretary that you will be going back on them unless you get a date within the next week.

This sort of thing annoys me intensely as it's downright rude. Where's the customer service?

Good luck with the pushing - please let us know how you get on.
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Milly
    This is disgraceful, I know emergency's can arise but not to let you know is awful.
    You poor thing having to stay off your meds I would get your GP on the case,or pals like someone else said.
    If only people would communicate properly things would run much smoother, I do hope things get sorted for you very soon xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • maria09
    Options
    Good advice about contacting PALS and yes it's true the more you hassle them the quicker they will get you in! As you have been cancelled they should not be cancelled again. It's a sad fact but the Nhs is like everywhere else stretched to the limit trying to cut services to save money when really they should be getting rid of staff in carpet land it's a top heavy service with the ones on the shop floor have to deal with the nitty gritty. The ones at the top have a lot to answer to I'm in the process of writing to the chairman and telling him exactly what I think and most of all the patients are the ones that suffer the most! It's sad to think that I've had to wait till I no longer worked there to do this
    Keep at them and don't let it stress you out
    Maria
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Milly
    Thast must have been sop upsetting to have it cancelled at the last minute.
    I can only imagine what I would have felt like if they had cancelled mine
    Hope its not long before you get another date
    Love
    Hileena
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Milly I am so angry and upset for you,some one somewhere has slipped up not letting you know,I hope you can get something sorted soon so you can get back on humira.mega hugs (((()))) x Mig
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Options
    Oh, that is terrible. Talk about bad communication. You must have felt awful managing to get to the hopsital to be told no. I really hope that they dont leave you for long before you're next date.
    Karen xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    I'm sorry, Milly. This must be very upsetting and worrying. I think I'd want to find out some sort of likely date so that you can make an informed decision about the humira. Better still, ring your rheumatology helpline and ask them what to do about it. With luck they might be willing to pull a few strings for you and get an earlier op that might otherwise happen.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    That's a shame Milly if I was you I would make a few phone calls that's terrible getting told at the last minute, hope things get sorted out soon............Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Ye gods, how discourteous and what appalling admin. I am so sorry, I don't know what to say apart from I hope you will soon be given an indication of when it might take place so that you can decide what do do viz. the humira. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Milly8
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your kind words and advice.i have spoken to my surgeon's Secretary she just told me how sorry she was and the only thing she can do is get me in on short notice but she did say she has a few people in the same boat as me and they are checking the bed situation every day.they may have a bed on one day but the surgeon is not operating that day.rang rheumy helpline when I got in for some advice and left message on answer phone .so let's see what the coming days have to hold.
    Bye for now
    Milly
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I hope it's good news, Milly. I really do.
    Steven Wright
  • maria09
    Options
    Hi Milly
    Any more news today?
    Maria
  • Milly8
    Options
    None today .i am waiting for rheumy nurse to ring me back .they say will answer within 24/48 hours.will phone them again tomorrow.my hubby is seeing my doctor soon so will have a word with her then about it to.she so lovely she will not mind thats it's his appointment not mine.lovely to have a doctor like that.
    Bye for now
    Milly
  • mig
    Options
    Hope hubby can get you some help from your doc. (((()))) Mig
  • Milly8
    Options
    Thank you mig.i am going with hubby as he is registered blind so can talk to her about it after we have talked about him.doctor thinks he has Myofascial pain syndrome .upped his pills so have to see if they are working .he says no but she says there's other pills he can have and he's on the waiting list to see the rheumy doctor as his hand and feet swell up badly .i swear we live down the hospital.daugther has Myofascial pain syndrome as she has one foot shorter than the other and it only took them 4 years to find that out as they said it was all in her head.she has learned to live with it and copes really well for the most part.will keep all updated
    Bye for now
    Milly
  • Milly8
    Options
    Spoke to the rheumy nurse and she told me to give them two weeks to see what happens.if no joy then ring them and tell them you need to go back on your humira and see if they can give you two weeks notice again if not to ring them so I can have a steroid jab to keep me going.last time I had one of them it never worked but worth a try but let's hope it does not came down to that.
    Bye for now
    Milly
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Hm, well, you know where you stand with rheumatology but I think, in your shoes, I'd now be ringing the surgeon's secretary to let them know you'll need to go back on the humira in 2 weeks so can they fit you in before then.
    Steven Wright
  • maria09
    Options
    Hi Milly
    Hope you are ok
    Would it help if your rheumy could email your surgeon & explained you condition
    I dont know if its possible but worth a try
    Keep strong
    Maria
  • Milly8
    Options
    Thank you Maria all sorted now .been phoning surgeons secretary and she has booked me in for the 21 st feb as long as bed situation is ok.so I got to take my humira yesterday.posted a little update yesterday as every is so kind on the forum.thank you again that would have been a good idea .maybe try it if I get cancelled again.(fingers crossed it will not happen)
    Bye for now
    Milly
  • maria09
    Options
    Hi Milly
    That's great news
    Got my fingers crossed
    They should not cancel you again
    You can get in touch with PALS although its got a new name can't remember
    They are there to support you as the patient not the hospital especially if you have a complaint against the hospital. My friend is going through them at min and is getting answers she wasn't getting from the hospital and consultant
    Take care and good luck with your future op
    Maria
  • mig
    Options
    Hi Milly,fingers crossed for the 21st,hope all goes well,will be with you in spirit .Mig (((())))
  • mig
    Options
    Millys op is due tomorrow,lets hope it doesn't get cancelled again,good luck Milly. Mig