Yoga

Options
shandy4greenday
shandy4greenday Member Posts: 344
edited 29. Jan 2013, 16:02 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi i was thinking of trying yoga as was told it is good for your joints can anyone tell me if this is safe to do please as I really would like to give it a go if it is safe enough thank you :)

Comments

• Nicchick
    Nicchick Member Posts: 191
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    It is good for your joints but do go to a good class with a qualified teacher in order to make sure you are doing the poses correctly and not damaging yourself.

OH is starting this week and his teacher is a friend of mine who is aware of his joint problems, he also has an ankle fusion which will limit him a bit. He's starting gently with some breathing workshops as the type of yoga that he'll be doing is Hatha Yoga - a gentle one.

Hope you enjoy it! My friend said that it's important to have an awareness of what you can and can't do and that men in her class were often tempted to do too much...have warned OH that he must not!

Nic x
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    I found it aggravated my joints.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    AC do recommend yoga. Enter it into the search engine and click on the first article on the left. However, I'd take the two earlier replies into consideration and ease yourself into it very gently. Good luck!
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • shandy4greenday
    Options
    Thankyou I was given 2 Geri Halliwell yoga DVD's and watched them to see what they like and they do start with beginners might practice on the breathing and get some proper advice on them before I do them proper first I think or just take it slowly for now till I ask on my next appointment at the hospital Ill give yoga a search also on the site thankyou all.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    A friend of mine has very mild OA in her right hip (but nowhere else lucky thing) and she is finding it very helpful, not immediately after a session but on the second, third and fourth days after. She is in a class but also has the occasional one-to-one session with the tutor. This is not something to try on one's own in front of the telly, you need to have a qualified person to monitor you, check and adjust your body so that you don't cause yourself further troubles. I tried it my early arthritic days, the only thing I do now is the breathing, it helps me ride the worst of the pain waves. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • shandy4greenday
    Options
    Thankyou I think I will just wait for my appointment then and see if they can suggest a class to help as also after reading on this site it says the recommend but some moves shouldn't be done so best to find out what I can or cannot do thankyou.
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    Hatha yoga is supposed to be the most gentle form.
  • Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    Options
    I've done yoga for over 20 years, and I think it's part of the reason for my having been very flexible even with severe OA of my knees, and also having such a good recovery from my eventual bilateral TKR. I went back to it within a few weeks of my op, and it's good for recovery too.

It is to a large extent about listening to your own body, and when you do that, you won't overdo things. However, that needs to be learned, and as others have said, a good teacher is essential, especially in the beginning. Hatha yoga isn't particularly gentle; there are gentler forms and more intense ones - and you can certainly overdo things with hatha if you try too hard!

One thing to always remember - yoga is about doing what is right for YOU. It doesn't matter what anyone else is doing. If you get competitive, you just stopped doing yoga, even if you're doing a form of physical exercise which looks like yoga. Lots of people who think they do yoga need to be reminded of that.