Any ideas on how to ease or rest inflamed elbow and shoulder

suzygirl
suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
edited 4. Feb 2013, 11:07 in Living with Arthritis archive
I am suffering from an inflamed elbow and shoulder on my right side and I am right handed :roll: It hurts :cry: and to hold anything isn't worth doing, let alone trying to move it. How can I ease it?

Am full of pain pills, rubbed gel into it which helps with the swelling for a little. I have a hospital appt in a couple of hours and am dreading have to go out with my arm so bad. Now isn't that silly!!! :oops:

Has anyone any good ideas? I have had injections into both joints before, the elbow a couple of months ago. Not sure how soon you are allowed another one? Never had both joints come up so badly together before. Was using my crutch on holiday as couldn't take my roller, which aggravated them.

Suffering with some sort of lergy at the moment, so it won't help. It has been bad for a couple of weeks now and is getting worse. :cry:

Any ideas?

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Suzygirl, I'm so sorry I've only just found this :oops: Anything I have to say now will be of no use to you for your hospital appt.

The shoulders/elbows/wrists are sods to rest, probably because the shoulders and wrists are complex joints. The most I ever managed was to improvise a sling, usually by knotting a scarf and chucking it over my head. You have to work out the best position. The other thing is just not to use that hand. I know it's incredibly difficult, especially if you're right-handed, and it's a big re-learning process. Straws help with drinking. Single mugs of water can be microwaved for a cuppa. Eating is different. Does heat or cold help? Oh dear! I'm not much good at this :roll:

How was the appointment?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • suzygirl
    Thanks SW. My 5.30 appt went well and I was home by 5.50!! :shock: It was ENT and he is referring me to a balance clinic. As it was a short time, it wasn't too much problem for my arm.

I am resting it, its ok until you forget and go to lift the arm!!! :shock: Thanks for the tips.
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Sorry Suzy, just on and saw your post been getting treament today, glad you are managing to get some peace when you are resting, hope you get your app soon let us know how you go............Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • stickywicket
    How are you today, Suzygirl?

If lifting it is the main problem, I can only suggest you add a large weight into that sling :wink: (Sorry, you didn't need that :oops: ) (())
    Steven Wright
  • kentishlady
    kentishlady Member Posts: 809
    Hello Suzy. Do hope your arm is feeling a little bit easier today and less painful. I find that warmth helps the most. I had a problem with a Frozen Shoulder last year and when it was at its worst, the only thing that helped a tiny bit was warmth. Admittedly that was my left shoulder, but then 2 months ago I had a fall and injured my right wrist and was not able to do anything with it for 2 weeks so I know the problems you are facing. Heating just 1 cup of water or milk in microwave for drinks is a good idea as it skips the necessity for lifting kettles etc. I lived on microwaveable foods as couldn't manage to do any preparation or cooking.

Hope things improve for you soon. Do take care.

Beryl ((()))
  • suzygirl
    Thanks, my shoulder is slightly better, but my elbow is much worse. Moving my hand or fingers trigger pain. Annoying to say the least. I wonder if it is a tendon inflamed as well as the joint? I have dupuytrens contracture in that hand.

Trying to rest and not move is impossible :roll: Its getting old quickly!
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Can you strap a bag of frozen peas into the sling and around the elbow? Mr LV smashed the end off his elbow (by forgetting there was a lip to the door) a few months back and spent quite a lot of time with a bag of peas so strapped. He said it felt wonderful.

Hope it clears up soon, it sounds horrid to be coping with so here is a big (((()))) to help. LV xx
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • suzygirl
    Thanks LV, have got a hot water bottle on it at the moment. My other joints are joining in, knees and hips most annoying. Although unusually knee pain is at the back of the knees.

My lergy is making my asthma bad and any movement brings shortness of breath. Fever still present. Right now I am cursing arthritis and bugs. I have had to up my pain meds but it isn't enough.

Decided to have a small glass of medicinal whiskey. :D Also hating the fact I am dieting and was good last week whilst away, but now want all bad items :oops: May have to shelve the guilt for a few days, sugar levels are all over the place anyway due to bug. :roll:
  • chookgate
    chookgate Member Posts: 146
    I know it sounds contradictive, but I have found if my shoulder and elbow are playing up, that circling the shoulder backwards a few times, a couple of times a day, and also slowly turning my head to the left and then the right as far as it will go, again a few times a couple of times a day helps to ease and release everything. Your pains may have a different cause from mine, but the symptoms sound similar, so it might be worth trying the movements gently.
  • stickywicket
    You sound to be both ill and flaring, Suzygirl, and I know what you're like :) Please take a bit of time out to let your body heal. It can be a slow business and it doesn't work if you're also trying to do as many normal tasks as possible which, I suspect, you might be. I hope you'll be back to normal asap. ((()))
    Steven Wright
  • suzygirl
    Chookgate, thanks for the tip. Its easy to forget range of movememnt exercises when in pain.

SW, thank you. I am really trying to rest, but its difficult. Hugs appreciated.
  • stickywicket
    How are you today? All I can say is, if hugs help, here are a few more. ((()))
    Steven Wright
  • Catie
    Catie Member Posts: 362
    Sorry to hear you're feeling so poorly Suzygirl and hope you feel a little better with each and every day :).

Catie
  • suzygirl
    I have been wandering around like Napoleon :lol: and it has helped, complete rest has eased it somewhat. Hoping to feel better for the weekend as it is back to the cold field again on Sunday, for my sons footie.

Just trying not to overdo it, although some books I ordered have arrived so am looking forward to some light entertainment.

Thanks for the best wishes everyone.
  • CJHunter
    CJHunter Member Posts: 1,038
    Hiya Suzy Girl, hope things have eased for ya.

If anythings have helped give us the nod n let me know will ya, cheers.

Hope you taking good care of you xx
    Clare xxeyeore-1.jpg
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Oh Suzygirl

I am sorry I am so late on :oops:

You have ben really suffering :(

I am so glad to hear that proper rest has helped a bit because I know you will be doing your supportive Mum bit :D

Glad the books have come....l still think you need a kindle :wink: .

Lots of love and ((()))

Toni xxx
  • suzygirl
    Warning, am going to moan!! :oops: Had a terrible night, fever, burning joints and my hand and elbow and shoulder kept locking and stiffening up in awkward positions that really hurt.

Blocked up nose and sore throat back with a vengeance. Going to try and take it easy today. Why do these things drag around for ages :cry: Had a bit of an upset yesterday so I am sure that won't have helped. :roll:

Thanks for support. Toni, I do need a kindle. Just kids need stuff first as usual!!
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Oh Suzygirl :(

I do hope that you had a better night last night :?

(re kindle - of course our kids will always come first - only me being silly as usual :oops: )

I also hope you managed/will manage to cheer your son on yesterday/today.

Some v gentle ((())) form me

Toni xxx
  • stickywicket
    I hope you're managing to take things easy, Suzygirl. This thing doesn't seem inclined to leave you without a struggle.
    Steven Wright
  • suzygirl
    Didn't make it to my sons match today, yes, that poorly!! Had a slightly better night, but still struggling.
  • suzygirl
    Feel so awful today, flu like and in pain. Now getting all stupidly emotional over things. Going to try really hard to get my bloods done then call the rheumy nurse. I am thinking its a flare.

Sometimes having this beast to deal with, gets old and very tired quickly. It just seems endless. I do take one day at a time, and make the best of things but. . . . .