What is sero negative inflammatory arthritis

shandy4greenday
shandy4greenday Member Posts: 344
edited 1. Feb 2013, 03:30 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi just received the letter from the hospital this morning from my visit over a week ago and at the moment they think I have Sero Negative Inflammatory Arthritis can anyone please explain what that means I know inflammatory means one of the group is it just the name they call it or more thankyou.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I think I'm right in saying that sero-positive means that rheumatoid factor is present in the bloods, sero-negative means it isn't. My psoriatic arthritis is a sero-negative inflammatory arthritis (for a good while I was classed as that) i.e. I had inflammation in my joints (my markers proved that repeatedly) but my RF factor was negative, ergo I didn't have RA.

There are many forms of inflammatory arthritis, sero-negative is one of them. Even though my label changed when my skin had a bout of psoriasis the meds did not. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • shandy4greenday
    Thankyou but it could change waiting on test results they also think I have 16 tender and 11 swollen joints no wonder so much pain.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I agree with DD's definition but, in what way would this change the waiting for test results?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • shandy4greenday
    Well I might get a proper type out of the group still will be infammatory but least I might get to know which ,we will just see as sometimes I understand they are unable to get a proper type.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    As DD pointed out - the definition may change but the meds are the same so, whatever label they pin on it, you'll get the treatment.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • shandy4greenday
    Yeah that's the main thing I'm just glad I carried on with my Naproxen at the moment and went back for more till my next appointment when I will get my other new meds as they said I probs wont need Naproxen as they gave me a steroid injection and it hasn't worked for me ,like I have been informed it only seems to work for some so at least I'm getting some pain relief for now till my next appointment in a few weeks.
  • lizzy100
    lizzy100 Member Posts: 235
    seroneg means that your negative for rheumatoid factor so it isnt rheumatoid arthritis but its still an inflammatory arthritis. There are different types http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/seronegative-arthropathies
    including Juvenile arthritis, enteropathic arthritis, and anyklosing spondilitis, and reactive arthritis.

I have seroneg enteropathic arthritis.i also found the steroid injection didnt work, and had to have oral steroids which seemed to be only thing that aced it. im on methotrx and sulfasalazine now.
    antiinflammatories are worth a good go in the first instance. there are different type ie naproxen, celebrix etc.
  • shandy4greenday
    I am hoping I can eventually get a name of a type even though I know it will still come under the inflammatory.The original tests I had were back in October so were a bit old and since then more symptoms and pain has developed and had more blood tests for 5 different things and my chest,hands and feet x-rays have been taken which I should get results when I go back maybe more will show from them to get a more definite type but either way least I will soon get some treatment i've been in agony today with pain below my shoulder top of back area I think it seems worse when sitting may even have to be in touch with my doc again if it gets any worse just want to get on my new medication as this pain is getting worse all the time and is starting to wear me down now.
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    Arthritis can be generally divided into seropositive and seronegative – this refers to the presence in the blood of an antibody called rheumatoid factor. About 70 per cent of people with rheumatoid arthritis are seropositive

seronegative rheumatoid arthritis tends to take longer to diagnose but the treatment is the same & you need to be put on some strong drugs & try get refered to a rheumatologist
  • shandy4greenday
    I am now under a rheumatologist and waiting for my next appointment to get my new medication thats why they gave me the injection hoping i will get some relief but as it has not worked all im taking on top of my naproxen at the moment is Co-Codamol that seems to take forever to even help a bit if needed I will ring my doc again for now.