Hi, Welcome!

The community is a safe space for people living with and connected to arthritis to ask questions and share experiences. Get started by registering here and posting your first comment or question!

Sign In with a Versus Arthritis account

Hair loss with drugs!!

lizzy100lizzy100 Posts: 235
edited 2. Feb 2013, 11:43 in Living with Arthritis archive
My hair is falling out so badly with oral methotrexate. its getting really thin. I know its that because my iron levels and all bloods are ok now. any ideas on what I can do to help manage it? theres hair everywhere, its literally coming out in clumps when i touch it.!

Comments

• salamandersalamander Posts: 2,028
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I wrote a reply but lost it. The gist of it was have similar problem so just had a short,blunt cut. Looks so much better. Not sure this is much help but do know how horrible it is to lose hair.
  • trepolpentrepolpen Posts: 500
    hi lizzy

I am on 25mg of Mtx & been on it for 15 years , had the same until they increased my folic acid to 5mg six das a week , my hair has thicken up since , had problems with liver blood test & thats why they increased the Folic Acid
  • maria09maria09 Posts: 1,905
    Hi Lizzy
    I'm having the same problem mine started about time I started sulphasalazine & now just started mtx so hope it doesn't get any worse
    Maria
  • stickywicketstickywicket Posts: 26,000 ✭✭✭
    It might be worth asking for more Folic Acid.
    “There is always a well-known solution to every human problem - neat, plausible, and wrong.” H.L. Mencken
  • maria09maria09 Posts: 1,905
    I didn't think of that going to see rheumy nurse in two weeks will ask her
  • lizzy100lizzy100 Posts: 235
    great, il try that thanks.
  • kathekathe Posts: 183
    I have The same problem, had to reduse My metex dose to 15mg but still I got mutch tinner hear than before. Took 25 mg before and lost alot of hair.
    I take folid acid everyday I don't take metex , I take 2mg a day( 2 tablets) . 6 days of The week. ( Before I took 1mg a day, but I got too low folid acid counts).
  • jillyb1jillyb1 Posts: 1,725
    Virtually lost all my hair when on it and coupled with crippling stomach pains and sickness , couldn't continue with it . Same with any medication though , suits some people and disagrees with others . Jillyb