Sorry I have been away

Options
arfaitis
arfaitis Member Posts: 155
edited 3. Apr 2013, 08:29 in Community Chit-chat archive
Please remember we are all different and can react differently to the same drugs we all take.
I have been unwell since Christmas, I had a very bad chest infection so went to the doctors on Christmas Eve, had to go to hospital immediately for a chest x-ray, my GP said he had to consider lung cancer as the symptoms pointed to it. The x-ray was clear.
I had an appointment with a chest consultant a week later, he sent me for a
CT scan and once again clear, then I had to go for lung function tests, now this is where it got bad for me, my lung capacity was barely 50%, now it is not good.
I saw the consultant again and he said it could be one of three things, he didn't rule out cancer, but he said in my favour was it was early and not showing, however it could be pulmonary fibrosis, which is not curable, but it can be treated and it is not galloping, I have probably had it for years already.
The other thing he mentioned was asbestos, one of the possibility was caused by my RA. caused by medication.
I am staying positive about it, no point in worrying at my age of 74.
I have had a perpetual cough for over 7 years, believed to be caused by Methotrexate and heart meds.
I am to have a brochoscopy on the 20th. the result of that will determine whether I need another later to take a biopsy, following that if more is needed I will go in for a general anesthetic and a big piece will be taken then they should get a final diagnosis as to the problem.
Hopefully it is just a very bad chest infection I have had, I am keeping my fingers crossed.
I will keep you posted.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello again, arfaitis. It’s good to see you back but I’m so sorry about the reason for your absence. It seems that you’ve been undergoing a very worrying health problem and you’re not out of the woods yet. I’m glad you felt able to tell us about it and it was thoughtful of you to remind us all, at the outset, that we’re all different and that what is happening to you will not necessarily happen to any of us. It can’t be easy for you though and it will be a while yet before you can know what’s really going on. I hope we can provide a bit of support in that time. A problem shared isn’t necessarily a problem halved but it is much easier to handle. My fingers are crossed too and, yes, please do keep us posted.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    Hi arfaitis, I'm sorry to hear all you've been through/are going through.
    You seem positive, that is good. I hope things improve very soon.
    Thinking of you and wishing you well,
    Numpty
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,457
    Options
    Oh Arfar

I do hope that you are right and it IS just a very very nasty infection which is taking time to go :?

I hope you are still on pretty strong antibiotics for it?

Anyway good to see you back :)

Toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Oh dear, I am so sorry, what a tough time you have had and I hope you soon start to improve. Take care. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello arfaitis
    Its good to have you back with us, only I am sorry you are poorly, but I do hope you get good news..and they can get you sorted very soon...
    You take care x
    Love
    Barbara
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    That sounds like a terrible time. I hope things get more positive for you. We're all here if you need us. Love LV xx
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • arfaitis
    Options
    Well I have had my bronchoscopy this morning, and they took two biopsies from the bottom of my right lung, I have to wait till the third of April to the result.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Ouch. I hope things aren't too uncomfy for you now. That seems a long wait but the time will come around. Let's hope it's good news, yes? How are you feeling in yourself now? Any better? DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    It sounds, at the very least, an uncomfortable process, Arfaitis. I think a spot of R & R is in order now. I hope the news is good.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • arfaitis
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Ouch. I hope things aren't too uncomfy for you now. That seems a long wait but the time will come around. Let's hope it's good news, yes? How are you feeling in yourself now? Any better? DD

Thanks guys, I am a lot better thank you.

Arthur
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,457
    Options
    Fingers crossed Arfur that the results are good.

Love

Toni xx
  • arfaitis
    Options
    I thank you very much for your thoughts and good wishes, I hadn't forgot you all, I was looking in from time to time, I have a lot to catch up on all forums now
    Well I have just had the good news today, I haven't cancer as first thought, nor have I pulmonary fibrosis, my lung investigation showed that I had had a severe infection, and if my cough and breathlessness persist, to see my own GP for another course of antibiotics.
    You don't know what a big relief it is unless you have been through 3 months of torture, but I truly believe the good thoughts from friends has helped me immensely.
    I must start slimming again now, I deliberately put on weight in case I had to fight after effects of Chemotherapy.
    Thank you all once again!

Arthur
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Oh Arthur...bless I am so very pleased for you , it must have been so worrying....so that was your excuse putting on weight...well I am glad you dont have to have chemo..now you keep recovering from the infection...and keep popping in to let us know how you are doing xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    That's good news indeed. I am currently taking anti-bios as I have corker of a chest infection (no voice at all, wheezing, sneezing and coughing fit to bust) and I can understand your relief that it's nowt sinister. Keep as well as you can, yes? Good luck. DD