zumba chair workout

christinac47
christinac47 Member Posts: 102
edited 27. Jun 2014, 10:59 in Living with Arthritis archive
is it good for someone with athrutis in the tail end of spine to do this kind of workout on a chir or gym ball

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,764
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    We are really not the right people to be asking as it's not just whether or not it's suitable for someone with arthritis in the spine but whether or not it's suitable for you personally.

I always thought zumba was quite energetic (though I've no real idea) and, if so, could you balance on a gym ball while doing it? Are other parts of you affected by arthritis? That would complicate matters.

Best thing would be to check with your GP or physio but, if you want to go ahead, use a sturdy dining chair and practise very gently and slowly at first. You can build up to the high energy stuff once you know it's not doing any harm.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • christinac47
    We are really not the right people to be asking as it's not just whether or not it's suitable for someone with arthritis in the spine but whether or not it's suitable for you personally.

I always thought zumba was quite energetic (though I've no real idea) and, if so, could you balance on a gym ball while doing it? Are other parts of you affected by arthritis? That would complicate matters.

Best thing would be to check with your GP or physio but, if you want to go ahead, use a sturdy dining chair and practise very gently and slowly at first. You can build up to the high energy stuff once you know it's not doing any harm.
    thankyou for that i am going to use a chair as i think your right i have saw the workouts and they look easy not alot of really hard ones just simple
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,764
    Remember to start very gently and stop as soon as you notice anything feeling uncomfortable. It doesn't necessarily mean you have to give it up but you do need to listen to your body and be aware of what you can and can't do with it.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVgW6CCb3Wk

Something like this, Christine? Looks suitable and gives one a feeling of happiness watching it and also wanting to join in :)

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • elnafinn
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eUmRwRyWD8

With my gammy left shoulder and arm some movements are difficult for me but it still makes me want to join in ;):)

Thank you Christine for drawing my attention to Chair Zumba. :)

Do I need to add the legal disclaimer about checking with your Doctor before beginning any exercise program? Hopefully, you'll do this gradually, stop if it hurts, modify if need be, and have fun!

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    I've never heard of chair zumba ??? Zumba yes......and ignored it :lol:
    I must investigate it.
    Its true....we aren't the people to say whether you should do it or not.
    Your physio of GP maybe??

Love
    Hileena
  • elnafinn
    :lol::wink: You must check it out, Hileena! I am so grateful that Christina asked the question that she did because I had kind of dismissed Zumba as not being for me. A zumba chair workout is much more down my alley, that is if I can remember what to do next as I have a poor memory especially when the arms and legs are being exercised at the same time. All good fun, I say. :)

Elna x

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    elnafinn wrote:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eUmRwRyWD8

With my gammy left shoulder and arm some movements are difficult for me but it still makes me want to join in ;):)

Thank you Christine for drawing my attention to Chair Zumba. :)

Do I need to add the legal disclaimer about checking with your Doctor before beginning any exercise program? Hopefully, you'll do this gradually, stop if it hurts, modify if need be, and have fun!

Elna x
    I like this Elna...we could sit together and I will do my right shoulder and you do the left.....has for the rest of me... well I would love to give it a go.. :D
    Love
    Barbara
  • hileena111
    Hi
    It looks very interesting.....I watched it with no sound. I'm in the living room and Peter is watching something on TV....I'll have a proper look tomorrow with the sound on :wink:
    Thanks for the link

Love
    Hileena
  • elnafinn
    :lol: It is much better with the sound on! :D

Elna x

• hileena111
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • christinac47
    hi there am glad this is a good link for you i just want to lose weight as am going in for an operation and i have to wait a few mouths to see a phsio to show me a work out to burn of calaeries here is the information i found on thisi have just found out i can do zumba and other kinds os fitness workout on a chair read more could help other athurtis suffers Photo Credit John Foxx/Stockbyte/Getty Images i

The benefits of regular exercise are well-established, but begi...See More
    Evidence Based Chair Exercises
    www.livestrong.com
    Evidence Based Chair Exercises. The benefits of regular exercise are well-established, but beginning and committing to a fitness program is one of the biggest challenges faced by many. Older adults, people with arthritis, or those with physical impairments affecting mobility or balance often have di.
    i have this link to and i am waiting for some DVD comming from this person looks good and i will listen to what my body tell me if it gets to much keep intouch as it would be good to see how other people enjoy it and also if its suitable for your own needs ,

Chair Fitness Workout
    This is a 10 minute segment of a Chair Aerobics Workout I did on my cable fitness TV show. You be sit and be fit, burn calories and lose and manage your weig... you will find this on utube good luck and enjoy without caseing any pain to your self xxxxxxits very very hard not to try it as noone wants to help you
  • christinac47
    elnafinn wrote:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVgW6CCb3Wk

Something like this, Christine? Looks suitable and gives one a feeling of happiness watching it and also wanting to join in :)

Elna x
    yes just like this plus you can try diffrent ones like salsa chair workout arobics chair
  • elnafinn
    Just perfect Christina and I wish you well with it. :D Please do let us know how you get on. :D

I wonder if AC have thought about putting something like this together in addition to their exercise booklet. It would definitely give the exercise more "zazz" ie colourful, vivid; stylish, striking which would, more than likely be more appealing to a wider market. :lol: It would interest me and I am a 62 year old gran, not quite at the end of the road yet! :lol::lol:

Hugs to you
    Elna x

• christinac47
    elnafinn wrote:
    Just perfect Christina and I wish you well with it. :D Please do let us know how you get on. :D

I wonder if AC have thought about putting something like this together in addition to their exercise booklet. It would definitely give the exercise more "zazz" ie colourful, vivid; stylish, striking which would, more than likely be more appealing to a wider market. :lol: It would interest me and I am a 62 year old gran, not quite at the end of the road yet! :lol::lol:

Hugs to you
    Elna x
    i am 44 but remember only do what your body said it can do there is just so many of them on utube its great kinda makes you feel good
  • elnafinn
    :wink: So you are a youngster then, Christina? :D

No worries, I do look after myself and will not overdo it. You are right, it does make you feel good, the happy music makes you join in and puts you in a good mood.

On one of the links there are so many people taking part that two people are sharing a chair. I love it! :)

Elna x

• christinac47
    Hi guys not been on for a long while from Zumba chair to doing the gym five days a week lost five stone for a stomach operation but had also slip my l5and l4 disc now they want me to use the spine injection anyone had this before and how are you all hope your all well xxx love Christina
  • hileena111
    Hi Christina
    No never had that before but good going with the weight loss :wink: You are the only other one I've heard of doing Zumba Chair
    I do seated Zumba as well.
    Keep going
    Love
    Hileena
  • lynnoot
    lynnoot Member Posts: 52
    This is very similar to Rosemary Conley chairobics. I used to do that, but now I haven't got the stamina, and would start to struggle after a few moments. I really don't know how to get my stamina up. I know I wouldn't be able to swim at the moment, the most I could do would be just paddling around. I can't do breast stroke because of my neck and I don't like backstroke, when the water gets in my ears.

I really need to lose half a stone, but it's really difficult when you can't move around very much. I don't generally eat sweets and cakes, but seem just lately to have gone out for coffee and cake a lot more than usual! Am meeting friends tomorrow, but will try and be good and not have cake with my coffee.
  • jen9432
    jen9432 Bots Posts: 37
    I have heard of chair aerobics, chair yoga, chair zoomba. As with anything new to you, I would clear it with either your GP or physio before starting. When starting, start slow and easy. It looks and seems easy but this type of exercise still uses your core and spine to hold you upright. You may feel that later. Go slow and try it out first, if your symptoms and body can handle it, then continue. I believe exercise is great for you if you can handle it.
  • hileena111
    Hi
    Our seated yoga and seated zumba is run by our Arthritis care branch. 2 girls came and gave a demonstration and there were so many people interested they said if they could get a hall they would start up seated zumba. The fact that we are all from Arthritis Care means you do what you can.....don't do what you cant {if you know what I mean :lol: } no one bats an eyelid because we are all in the same situation. Crutches piled in the corner LOL
    Some {very few} people stand most of the time....others do a mixture of sitting and standing and others sit all the time.
    Some people have shoulder problems so ignore anything that would aggravate that, with me its hips, if I think its going to hurt I don't do it.
    I had my 2nd hip replacement at the end of Jan and 4weeks later I fractured a bone Greater Trochanter Bone doing an NHS exercise. Was told there was nothing they could do it would heal itself. I saw my consultant about 4 weeks after that and he said exercise exercise exercise. Then he said....You used to do seated zumba? Yes....do you still do it? No I was having a THR....Oh you are well past that...get back to it...it will do you good. Just Listen to your body.
    So...that's me.....I agree you should check before starting a new exercise

Love
    Hileena
  • christinac47
    We'll done ladys for even getting on the chairs and keeping active I had lost five stone going to the gym it was Zumba chair then swimming then line dancing then standing Zumba , legs bums and tums then eao tone then weight lifting I felt great but one day the weather was bad and I did not listen to my body and it got worse slip my L5L4 discs so a hard lesson learned so once god willing it gets fixed out I will listen to my body everyone is different I just did not listen to my own body good luck lady's love reading your story's keep in touch xx
  • christinac47
    lynnoot wrote:
    This is very similar to Rosemary Conley chairobics. I used to do that, but now I haven't got the stamina, and would start to struggle after a few moments. I really don't know how to get my stamina up. I know I wouldn't be able to swim at the moment, the most I could do would be just paddling around. I can't do breast stroke because of my neck and I don't like backstroke, when the water gets in my ears.

I really need to lose half a stone, but it's really difficult when you can't move around very much. I don't generally eat sweets and cakes, but seem just lately to have gone out for coffee and cake a lot more than usual! Am meeting friends tomorrow, but will try and be good and not have cake with my coffee.
    hi if you go into the swimming just walk up and down the pool that's if you can do that this will help your weight loss I have doing in very bad pain with my discs slipping and have acute sitareca in my left leg but it loses the weight set a goal that you are able to do good luck and keep in touch xxx
  • lynnoot
    lynnoot Member Posts: 52
    Hi Christina

That's a very good idea about walking up and down the pool. the only problem is you get in other people's way and they get cross and tut at you! I could probably stay in the baby pool area, they wouldn't mind a mad lady going up and down.

Good luck to everyone trying to exercise and lose weight.