hello from a forum novice

Options
daffy2
daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
edited 6. Feb 2013, 03:46 in Say Hello Archive
I've never done anything like this before so apologies if I get it wrong.
A bit about me healthwise. Years ago a couple of knobbly slightly sore fingers gave a diagnosis of OA, rather as expected and not a particular problem. At the beginning of 2012 that all changed, and I went straight into hands and feet not always working properly, often sore, awful fatigue.More and more bits have joined in and I have had more GP appointments and painkillers in the last year than the previous 20, and don't seem any further forward.Matters were complicated in October by a Dexxa scan showing severe lumbar osteoporosis. It has been very hard going at times especially as I no longer have family at home, and I quickly realised that it was up to me to do my research as expecting the GP to provide answers, suggest solutions etc was a non-starter. Having to wait at least 4 weeks for appointments doesn't help either when things are changing so quickly.
I also have scoliosis and IBS - which bring their own problems in trying to find a way forward.Enough for now - this is depressing me!
I know things can be slow at the weekend, but I needed to make this first step.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello daffy2. It’s lovely to meet you and you’ll be relieved to know you’ve got everything right :) Most people introduce themselves here first before diving into the other forums but there are no hard and fast rules so it varies. Well done on taking the first step. It sounds as if it took some effort.

You have quite a lot to contend with there in addition to the arthritis. I think taking charge of one’s health is always a good idea but it works better if we work with our health professionals. It sounds as if your GP isn’t a great deal of help and, as for a four week waiting list for appointments, that’s just nowhere near good enough and, I think, not even legal. You might want to consider a change of doc, or of practice. It has helped several people on here.

Having said that, there’s not a great deal to be done for OA other than pain relief and physio though Pain Clinics have helped quite a few to manage their pain better. I do wonder, though, if you’ve ever seen a rheumatologist. The multiplicity of joints involved plus the fatigue would suggest you should at least be checked out for one of the auto-immune varieties of arthritis. Have you been? If not, it might be worth asking for a referral.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello daffy2, that was a cracking start, you've done well! It's lovely to meet you and I hope we can help with information and support.

I have two sorts of arthritis, an auto-immune form (psoriatic) and the joint damage from that has led to OA in both ankles, both knees and now my right hip has joined in. :roll: Arthritis of any sort is degenerative and progressive but what is impossible to calculate is the rate of those two horrors for each individual. It is a truth (universally acknowledged :wink: ) that there is really not much to be done for OA apart from pain relief, maybe anti-inflammatory medication and exercise. GPs do appear dismissive sometimes probably because it is such a widespread problem with no easy fix - they may feel as frustrated as we do. Having a foot in both camps I have to say I prefer my OA as it is much more straightforward and 'in my face' compared to the other. I freely admit I am not coping too well with it at the moment but I have other stuff going on at the moment so that's my excuse.

A quick guide to the forum: chit-chat is supposed to be an arthritis-free zone, livign with arthritis is the part where we deal with questions about meds, docs, appointments, operations and generally moan, the other titiles are self-explanatory. Don't be shy about joining in - if there's a thread which is relelvant to you then chip in because all new voices and experiences are welcome and I am sure you will find some others who are in a similar boat to yourself. I wish you well and look forward to seeing your name here and there in the coming days. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • rockchick
    rockchick Member Posts: 58
    Options
    Sorry to read you're struggling at the moment. I agree that a change of GP practice might be a good idea, and often a pair of fresh eyes can see things quite differently.

Have you looked on websites such as Arthritis Research UK, and Arthritis Care's main website? If so, you'll realise that there is in fact more to be done to help OA than simply pain relief. With your IBS I imagine you will have to be careful which medications you can safely use. Perhaps topical medications might help. Acupuncture, and other complementary treatments can also be helpful for many people. Sadly there is no cure at the moment, but that shouldn't stop us trying to manage our arthritis as best we can.

More and more we are realising the benefits of exercise too, for arthritis. But do make sure you find out what level and type is suitable for you. Have you had a referral to a physiotherapist?

Try not to be too disheartened. Perhaps, if you are able to find a new doctor, that might be a positive first step. Believe it or not, there are doctors who will try and provide answers and offer help if they can. You will read several threads here about the better treatment, or simply a more positive attitude people receive after finding a new GP.

You may also be aware that AC has a confidential, free telephone helpline you can use.

Good luck with everything.
    RC
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    Thank you for your kind welcome. I've been looking in for some time now, but not taken the plunge, as you can probably guess from the join date.
    The GP situation doesn't allow much change.Waiting times have never been that good and they are a GP short at present, but they meet their emergency appt obligations.I have spoken to the practice manager and have now worked out a strategy.Changing practice wouldn't improve matters, I've looked into that. The GP I see isn't unpleasant, or unhelpful as such, but he is young, foreign, and male, and things outside of what he finds on his flickering screen, or prescription printing, are rather a challenge for him!. Some progress is being made( he's agreed that my ankle and knee should be x-rayed) and for now I don't have the energy or inclination to go beyond 'better the devil you know'...
    I've never really had to use the GP service very much before - to give you some idea,didn't know my usual GP had retired in 2010!, so this has been a steep learning curve.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    Hi daffy

It's lovely to meet you!

Please do come on in and join us you will be very welcome and we can support you while you truck along on the diagnosis-ride :wink:

It can be a bumpy and frustraton one, but most of us have been there already so can help.

Love

Toni xx