A big decision for me.

Options
Littlejem
Littlejem Member Posts: 12
I've just turned 60 and been diagnosed with moderate to severe arthritis in both my hips and moderate in my knees. I'd had problems with leg pain which was put down to a colapsed disc in my spine and had a spinal fusion to cure the problem. When I continued to have pain around my knees I had scans on my knees and hips which showed up the arthritis. Some days I cope, with prescription pain killers and anti inflamatories but some days I have a lot of pain, hips, groin and just below my knees which the consultant thinks is refered from my hips. I work full time, sat at a desk, and can't afford to give up until I get my pension but some days I struggle to get up and going in the mornings and these days are becoming more. I've been told that the only thing they can do for me is a hip replacement but even though I had a mastectomy the thought of this operation really scares me. My mum had 2 hips and a knee replaced because of arthritis. I have private health insurance at the moment but it will cease later this year and wonder if I should just bite the bullet and have the operation while I can get it done privately? What do you think?

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,495
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Dear Littlejem,

Thank you for your post to Helplines. It sounds as though you've got some important decisions to make. If you feel as though you'd like to talk things over with someone medically qualified while you explore your options a good person is a physiotherapist. Your doctor can refer you (and at that stage you may chose to use your health cover).
    If you'd like to think things through informally, you have the option of ringing us - we are not medically qualified - but can support you while you are considering your priorities.

If you'd like some information just email helplines@arthritiscare.org.uk and (mention your forum name so we can see what you'd like information upon) with your full name and postal address.

I hope we can help further.

Guy
  • Littlejem
    Littlejem Member Posts: 12
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Ok thanks, I have been seeing a physio who did suggest I spoke to someone about surgery so I've made an appt for next week. I might call and speak to someone there after my appointment - thanks