feeling so emotional right now

Options
joannen
joannen Member Posts: 2
hi every one new to this,i have signed up to this forum hoping people may help me with my R/A i first had signs in dec 2011 was diagonised in aug 2012 on medication now but feel reall emotional keep getting flare ups on and off and find it really frustrating when i get it in my hands i get so frustrated i can not pick up my grandaughter as the pain is constant and i have not been able to ride my horse in the last year as iam new to this can any of you good people give me any tips thank you for reading jo

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello joannen. It's nice to meet you but I'm sorry about the RA.

I'm not a member of the Helpline team, just an ordinary forum member but, reading your post, I wonder if it was intended for all of us rather than just the Helpline team.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I have RA too and it started in my hands many years ago so I understand the difficulties involved though, at the time, I'd no children let alone grandchildren. It was very hard picking my kids up once I did have them and I found all sorts of different methods which scared some people :roll: but worked for me.

Flares are unfortunately a normal part of RA but, if you're getting a lot, it might be worth asking your rheumatology people to tweak your meds. I presume you have a Rheumatology Helpline? As for feeling emotional, well who wouldn't? It's a big deal and you haven't been coping with it for long. You'll learn coping strategies as you go along but it gets us all down at times so do feel free to come on here and talk about it. We do understand.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,495
    Options
    Dear Jo,

Thank you for your post to Helplines. I can really appreciate that you are dealing with lot at the moment. As Stickywicket has shown, there are a lot of people on here who are good listeners who can share coping strategies.

I hope that 'naming' the upset and frustration will help. There are no special answers, and it's difficult to predict what you will find helpful. If you feel like talking things though we are here for an electronic chat or a phone one - you pick.

Having constant pain sounds tough enough, but there are things that you need and want to do. You might want to think about what the most important things are that you are finding hard and going into ways round them.

For example many people have found ways of not quite picking up kids but still being there for cuddles and helping them, never the less. But I can see that having to think of ways around things can feel frustrating. Have you seen the 'Living with arthritis' forum yet?

I hope we can help some more.

Kind regards

Guy
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, I just spotted that today is your birthday - well, I don't remember another joannen. :wink: May I wish you many happy returns and I hope you have managed to have a pleasant day despite your current trials and tribulations. Please post again on the Living with Arthritis part of the foprum as more people wil be able to answer you there - this bit is really for the Helpliners, not forum members. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben