Richard lll

Options
Mumof1
Mumof1 Member Posts: 42
edited 7. Feb 2013, 17:06 in Community Chit-chat archive
As a complete History nerd, I am so excited that the University of Leicester have confirmed that the bones in the carpark are those of Richard lll.

There is a programme on television tonight all about the discovery, so excited, I cant wait.

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I saw this on the news must say I do love history, but I don't know much about our Richard...so I will be watching tonight....tel you what I cant get over all the teeth he still had...and I bet they didn't brush um... :lol:
    Love
    Barbara
  • Mumof1
    Options
    I know, it's amazing isn't it.
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    He was a bad boy was our Richard,I am really looking forward to the programme. Mig
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    Its impossible for it to be Richard 111 use your common sence people DEERRRR cars wernt invented so no car parks in those days
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • numptynora
    numptynora Member Posts: 782
    Options
    I love history too, trouble is I can't seem to retain information, I've always had an empty head, I don't know how I've lasted this long!!!

Numps x
    Numps x
    Pets come into our lives, and then leave paw-prints on our hearts.
  • barbara12
    Options
    Colin1 wrote:
    Its impossible for it to be Richard 111 use your common sence people DEERRRR cars wernt invented so no car parks in those days
    Hee Colin nice to see you...i never thought of that :lol::lol:
    Love
    Barbara
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Now! ...is ....the winter....of our discontent (said with an accctorrs voice :mrgreen: )

Sorry, had to get that one in, times don't change much?
  • PollySid
    PollySid Member Posts: 343
    Options
    Even I find it quite exciting, and I used to hate History at school. I only ever picked up the basics as there was far too much information for my little brain to remember.
    I will look for the programmed on BT Vision catch up and watch it today.
    Wow, they will be digging the car park up next to try to find his treasure.
    It's supposed to be in The Wash (Lincolnshire/Norfolk) isn't it? I come from Lincolnshire originally so I do know that bit of information. It depends on how much land was reclaimed from the sea though, it could be quite a way inland now.
  • Mumof1
    Options
    numptynora wrote:
    I love history too, trouble is I can't seem to retain information, I've always had an empty head, I don't know how I've lasted this long!!!

Numps x

I'm usually quite good with the facts, it's dates which I cant retain.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Sadly its not on catch up as I planned to rewatch it today because my daughter asked me questions all the way through the programme.

I love history too.

I wonder what he did with the so-called Princes in the Tower? That is a mystery that still remains.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • mig
    Options
    And will never be solved.fascinating programme. Mig
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    What? Is he dead, then? They'll be digging up Henry IV Part One next :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    I always thought he was just part of the degree classification - Richard III (a 3rd), Desmond Tutu ( a 2:2), Simon LeBon (2:1) and Geoff Hirst (1st).

Seriously, I was really pleased it turned out to be him and they can put him somewhere better than a car park now. It did make me wonder what other secrets and treasures and down there and what else the Victorians just rode rough shod over in the name of progress ...and they reckon we are too hasty in developing and getting rid of the past!

SW - So long as Falstaff stays down there SW, we should have an acceptably(ish) behaving monarchy.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • PollySid
    PollySid Member Posts: 343
    Options
    We found the programme on catchup and it was very interesting.
    I was a bit surprised by the emotional responses the lady who was in charge showed. She seemed to be in tears for the man, not because she was overwhelmed by the actual finding of the remains.
    I found the face reconstruction interesting, he looked a much gentler young man than the paintings showed, although they said that Henry's people had changed the paintings to make him look nastier.
  • mig
    Options
    Where should he be buried ? Leicester or York,I opt for York. Mig
  • stickywicket
    Options
    York is logical but it seems that the condition of digging him up was that he'd be re-buried in Leicester so York really should have got their act together at that point rather than now.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    Options
    I think they should stick him back...I would be mortified if someone came along a few hundred years later and dug me up.....I hate not to look my best... :lol:
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    Options
    :lol::lol::lol: Barbara, you're priceless - and very good-looking :)
    Steven Wright
  • newbygran
    newbygran Member Posts: 96
    Options
    the lady in charge of the dig was upset that the bones had a hump, I would have the hump, if I was dug up from a car park and had my DNA probed, his teeth were better than mine.