hi folks

Options
billywhizz666
billywhizz666 Member Posts: 2
edited 6. Feb 2013, 03:55 in Say Hello Archive
i am a miserable scouser livin in south wales swansea to be exact,,im only miserable because of my bleedin knee!!!

however im due in hospital for an assessment on the 19th of this month feb2013,,,can anyone tell me wot happens in an assessment and roughly how long will my op be after that??

im a 59 year old guy about to be sixty and i have deferred this op for 4 years,,but still worried to death about it

anyone who has had one full left knee replacement,,can you talk me thro the op the length of stay your in dry dock,,how you manage havin a jimmy?/ when can i drive a lorry again or to start how long before i walk again and how hard is it,, finally for fellers only cos all you ladies are so much better at handlin pain ,,,does it hurt??

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi there you miserable scouser :lol: Of course it hurts when you’ve had a bit of leg removed and another bit shoved in. Sorry, BillyWhizz666. I am female and I just couldn’t resist that :lol:

I can’t really tell you what happens in an assessment as I guess it depends what you are being assessed for and by whom. Assuming it’s the orthopaedic surgeon who’ll be assessing you for a new knee (TKR), he’ll probably take some x-rays and decide on the basis of them whether or not to go ahead. If it’s a yes, the waiting time will depend on where you are. All trusts are different. I’d guess 6-12 weeks. However, if the boss man has already decided to go ahead and you’re talking about a pre-op assessment, it’s just blood tests, BP, heart etc and medical details – nothing too painful – and then the op within about, I think, six weeks.

I haven’t only had one ‘full left knee replacement’ but two – also one right knee and two hips. (I just love surgery :lol: ) Seriously, my OA is a result of many years of RA and I’d do every one again. My first left TKR lasted 27 years. It’s mate, on the right, is now 31. Normally, nowadays the length of stay in hospital is short. You’ll probably be up and walking the day after the op and home within the week. That doesn’t mean to say it doesn’t hurt. It does. But then, so does your current knee. To maximize success, do the pre and post op exercises very conscientiously. Other than that, rest as much as possible at first.

You will ‘have a jimmy’ in hospital like all you blokes do, using a ‘bottle’. We mere females get hoisted onto an uncomfortable cold bedpan but then, as you say, we handle pain better :wink: As I recall, you will not be insured to drive a car for 6 weeks after the op. I’ve no idea how it pans out for lorries.

Why not join us on Living With Arthritis, BillyWhizz666? That’s the best place to ask any questions you may have. I hope it all goes well for you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Billywhizz666 (how very devilish!)

Lovely to meet you.

Lots and lots of folk on here have had brand new shiny knees, but the best place to find them is on the Living with Arthritis forum. In fact I think there is a chap on there due to have one imminently (or is it a hip :? )

Sorry - short on brain cells :wink:

These days time in hospital after having new joints tends to be minimal. In some areas just 3 days :shock: The wearing of the 'ted stockings' (stretchy things put on your kegs to prevent DVTs!) though isn't short-term :wink:

Hope to see you over on LWA soon?

Toni x