viewers but not users

Options
Airwave!
Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
edited 7. Feb 2013, 09:30 in Community Chit-chat archive
If you look at the viewing figures for each topic they are often many times what the replies are, where do all the viewers go to or do they never get up the courage to post?

Or is it a modern thing, an almost voyeuristic quirk of being on-line, look but don't touch? Come on all you viewers, come and join in, the waters fine!

Comments

• daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'm one of the people you refer to, so here's my side of it.
    Firstly never having used forums and being afraid of getting it wrong. Really not happy with the idea of having my thoughts and comments out there in front of thousands of people I don't know and can't see (don't do social media). Having a lot to deal with, and finding that the information I could access as just a visitor was answering a lot of my questions without needing to ask directly.
    I have taken the step now after several months of looking in(voyeur I refute), but it will take a while before it comes easily to be part of this as is is all new and rather uncomfortable. I hasten to add that is no reflection on the lovely people here - it is my problem!
    As time goes by(I liked that series...) I hope I can start putting something back in return for the help I have had already.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I found the forum and read for a couple of days and then knew I had to join. I thought I was on my own (none of our social circle have arthritis or, actually, anything) and then to see others in very similar boats was breathtaking in its wonder. I spend waaaay to much time on here (and care far too much about it) but it gave me a lifeline and hope that I can do the same for those in need. For a fair few arthritis is a very lonely battle. Posting is daunting because it is a permanent record of what you've said at a certain time on a certain day.

There are downsides, they crop up from time to time but you learn to get on with them (if not downright ignore them). We are reliant on the kindness of strangers but it's amazing how many don't appreciate the time and effort it may take us to reply. Of course people get things wrong - there is nothing like than a perfect human being or (even worse) those who think they are. I've made mistakes in the past and no doubt will in the future, but I have learned when to walk away and not reply. If it irks you ignore it. It's not that hard. (I know I irk a fair few! :lol: ) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Airwave!
    Options
    Welcome daffy2, we all have our public and private personas and admitting to an illness on a public forum may be a taboo too far, some are happy to use an online name to remain masked. arther is no respecter of privacy and we all fight to maintain our personalities despite arthers intrusion into our lives. Together we are all stronger by learning to deal with it.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,457
    Options
    Airwave

I always put it at about 10% postings to peekings.

Sometimes you have to look to see if you have anything useful to add :oops:

Daffy2 GOOD to see you braving joining in :wink:

Love

Toni xx

PS also if you view your own post back doesn't that add one??
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    It does, and those who aren't registered reading a post also adds another view. People need the forum in different ways and use it in different ways. DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I often read up on threads only to discover I've nothing further to contribute. (It doesn't always stop me though :wink:)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    I'm a ridiculously shy person :oops: It took months of looking in on the forum to pluck up the courage to post. I'm so glad I did. It's a lot easier to write things, than to say them face to face. I'm afraid if I was face to face with someone I'd just clam up, my mind would go blank! (blanker :lol: )
    It could be, some of the people viewing, just don't feel up to posting. If reading the posts helps them, I think that's a good thing.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    I'm just nosey.... :lol:
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,457
    Options
    barbara12 wrote:
    I'm just nosey.... :lol:

Hah!!!!

Zee meestery eez solved!!!!!
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    Options
    Often, as SW says, I have nothing useful/further to add. Sometimes I check to see how someone's getting on after I have replied. Sometimes my brain is in too much of a fog to type coherently! Or sometimes the topic turns out to be one I know nothing about so I take my nose out!!

Incidently, no one on here has ever offended me. I know that I sometimes come across as brusque or short, espescially when typing, so I try to remember that other people are just like me and find it hard to write things too. I am a scientist and not so good at expressing myself - that's my story and I'm sticking to it! To be fair, I am fairly "to the point" in real life too. It doesn't mean I don't care - just a woman of few words!
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    Some people view but dont comment and I am guilty as charged..>Sometimes i read a topic but then it goes into a lot of terminology Im not familiar with and can't answer objectively or helpfully...The title doesnt always say what its all about...
    Thats my reason..

Elainexx
    Airwave! wrote:
    If you look at the viewing figures for each topic they are often many times what the replies are, where do all the viewers go to or do they never get up the courage to post?

Or is it a modern thing, an almost voyeuristic quirk of being on-line, look but don't touch? Come on all you viewers, come and join in, the waters fine!
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    I sometimes look just to see how people are getting on,I don't always comment as I find most useful comments have already been made.Mig
  • katekelly
    katekelly Member Posts: 975
    Options
    I find it's a bit like being by the pool on holiday - sometimes you plunge right in there at the deep end and other times you just want to dip your toes! I can go months without posting then it all comes tumbling out! Xx
  • janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    Options
    I do read a lot of posts, but unfortunately, my typing ability due to my poorly hands severly restricts me. I do have to be careful typing, as it can affect me doing other things for the day. Daughter switches computer on, gets the site up then I can press with a finger. Today is a better day!

Maybe there are others who do this as well, I like readingall the posts, join in word association as that requires less typing (one word)! :D

Janie
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Time is my excuse for looking and not posting. I can read through posts quickly but writing a reply takes time and thought. Usually others have covered the topic so well so I move on but other times I like to put my point across.

Elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • Airwave!
    Options
    I'm no different, no time to read them all, the figures for viewing go into nearly 200,000 on one topic, incredible. It does show a need for everyone to be involved at some level.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I think that if you want to be involved you will. Some may take time to pluck up the courage to join and perhaps post whilst others have no trouble but it is an individual choice. Everyone has something to say but whether they want to say it is another matter altogether. DD