medication prescribed

Options
eileend
eileend Member Posts: 19
edited 6. Feb 2013, 17:28 in Community Chit-chat archive
Afternoon all

Just a little catch up after the shock of the diagnosis of o/a in knees, last week I have been seen by my gp whom has put me on 500mls daily of nyproxin and now awaiting till next week for the start of injections :shock: :( I said yes I would give it a go as they are really against operating as they say because of my age (43) is there any advice that I can take on board with the jab, also awaiting a care assessment and social services its been manic if I say so myself Take care everyone looking forward to any support xxx

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Eileend

I do totally understand how shocked you are - it IS shocking!

As far as your jabs are conerned the best peice of advice I was given is to rest properly afterwards. I was told 48 hours (moving for the loo only :wink: ), to keep the steroids in the area you want them as long as possible I think.

Naproxen is an effective anti-inflam for many folks. So that's good.

Take care

love

Toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, naproxen is an anti-inflammatory and usually comes as tablets - is this what you have? I hope he has also prescribed a stomach protector to go with these (usually either lansaprozole or omeprazole). I take it you mean a steroid injection? They can work but will only be given infrequently as steroids are generally not good for the body. Over the years I've had quite a few in my knees and not gained anything but others do well with them and I hope you will be in that number. What pain relief do you use? I probably should remember but I'm afraid I don't. :oops: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • eileend
    Options
    Thank you both DD i am on naproxyn as of now and i already take omeprazole as i suffer with heartburn drastically and yes sorry its the steroid injections I had them years ago in my spine as i have a crumbling spine didn't work but i am a tad uneasy in my knees but i will guve anything a go to try and help with the pain xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello
    I do hope they bring you some relief, has for the shock I do understand, even now when they xray another area I am still sacred that it may be arthur.
    Just to say we are always here and you are not on your own x
    Love
    Barbara
  • katekelly
    katekelly Member Posts: 975
    Options
    Had my knees injected a couple of weeks ago and if it's any comfort it has helped a bit - I can now bend them and weight bear for short time which I couldn't do the previous week. Hope you get some relief x
  • eileend
    Options
    Thank you all going to try and keep positive xx
  • deedeeitsme
    deedeeitsme Member Posts: 321
    Options
    I'm having my first ever injection in my hit on 4th march and hoping it brings some relief. Are you not on any pain meds? If not I would asked your gp about getting some pain relief sorted and also amatriptilyne(sp?) in small doses helps with sleep as it relaxes the muscles so maybe ask about those too.

Good luck with the injections and I hope they give you some relief. Take care Dee x