i hope anyone on here has not had what i have

Options
dachshund
dachshund Member Posts: 8,927
edited 12. Feb 2013, 10:58 in Community Chit-chat archive
sickness and diarrhoea.
i hope every is as well as can be. i have had it for a fortnight or more with pinckey sharp tummy pains i have had antibiotics
but they made it worse i have a nother lot but have to wait for
the diarrhoea to stop first.
sorry to go on all i'm having is dry crackers and water. i just wondered if any of the helpfull people on here can give me any advice. thank you.
take care everyone
joan xx
take care
joan xx

Comments

• Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I am sorry Joan, that sounds awful! I think you are doing the right things, eating plain food and drinking plenty of water, but 2 weeks is a long time, can't the doctor give you something to stop it?
    I do hope you feel better soon,
    ((((()))))
    Numpty
  • dachshund
    Options
    Thank you Numpty.
    i for got i'm taking imodium.
    thank you joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Hi Joan,
    A fortnight is too long to have diarrhoea and sickness, you must feel drained. I would go back to your doctor and get help first thing on Monday. If you can get some re-hydration powders from your chemist as they contain salts and minerals that you need when you are suffering like this. Please drink and then drink some more. Your chemist should be able to give you some advice when you go.
    I had something similar a few months ago and nearly ended up in hospital with de hydration I am not sure what caused it but I did have a water infection and had AB’s which suspect did not agree with me. I was not allowed any food and only stomach protectors and boiled water with the powders. This of course was carefully monitored by my GP. My doctor gave me some anti-sickness tables which help enormously.
    I hope you start to feel better soon.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Oh Joan I am sorry, you have enough on without this...there are all sorts of bugs going round.....I do hope you feel better very soon ...make sure you have plenty of fluids to replace the ones you are losing....and take care of yourself...((((((()))) xx just for you ...
    Love
    Barbara
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Dear Joan

I truly feel for you. I have lost two days last week with an awful sickness and
    diarrhoea bug and felt so unwell. It took me 4 more days to feel "back to normal" again, which is today.

You have been having this for far too long, Joan. You should see your gp again and keep drinking lots of fluids and you can get these rehydration sachets from the chemists as someone else has suggested.

I am not sure why your gp prescribed antibiotics. Imodium was prescribed for me by my gp when I had similar to you that went on and on and I was also referred to a gastroenterologist.

This week for a couple of days, when I began to feel marginally better, I only ate toast and banana.

I do hope you feel better soon, Joan.

Love
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    The BRATTY diet

The most common set of foods prescribed to someone suffering from diarrhea is the BRATTY diet. BRAT stands for bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast. Later medics added another T and a Y to the end, which stands for tea and yogurt. Together these foods can help firm up bowel movements while supplying you with important vitamins, minerals, and easy to absorb carbohydrates, which provide the body with energy.

The foods should be served with the minimum of spices and sugar, which can prolong diarrhea. You should not begin to eat the yogurt until the stomach has begin to calm, as taking in dairy too early can worsen diarrhea. However, the yogurt is very important as it contains live cultures that help the stomach to replace good bacteria that has been lost during the illness.
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,419
    Options
    Oh Joan :(

You poor thing!!

When I worked at a residetial special school we were told to give the kids grated apple (no peel).

and the poor things had to drink that dioraly*e stuff. Yuk but good

Has Sue caught it out of interest? and have they (dare I say it......), sent a sample off?

Love

Toni xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    ((((())))) Joan, that sounds horrible. I think you're doing the right thing with the water and crackers but, after so long, maybe you should get back to the doc for more advice tomorrow. It's a long time to go without basic nutrients.

Elna's diet sounds good but do beware of the rice. Rice has to be very carefully stored after cooking and, in your present situation, I'd just chuck out what isn't used at first.

Take care, Joan. And Sue. (((())))
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    Joan

Surely if you have had it for a fortnight then you need to be given anti sickness medication? Maybe you have asked and its not appropriate I dont know?
    Whenever any of us have sickness and diarrhoea bugs (which isnt often thank god) we just eat plain food such as a few boiled potatoes, or mash can be tasty and stay down..

Hope you feel better soon, sounds wretched..

Elainexx
    dachshund wrote:
    sickness and diarrhoea.
    i hope every is as well as can be. i have had it for a fortnight or more with pinckey sharp tummy pains i have had antibiotics
    but they made it worse i have a nother lot but have to wait for
    the diarrhoea to stop first.
    sorry to go on all i'm having is dry crackers and water. i just wondered if any of the helpfull people on here can give me any advice. thank you.
    take care everyone
    joan xx
  • dachshund
    Options
    Thank you Ironic Barbara Elna Toni Stickywicket Elaine.
    thank you it all stopped yesterday i still have the aching tummy.
    today i had boiled potatoes and veg.i drink water all the time.
    the doc phoned yesterday he wants a sample but the diarrhoea
    as stopped after he phoned he said i'm sorry you are feeling like this i thought that was nice of him.
    thank you everyone for answring.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • barbara12
    Options
    Joan I am so glad it has stopped for you....must say I do hate having the runs...maybe you should take a sample in anyway just in case....I hope it stays away.
    Now you look after yourself....((((((())))) xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Oh Joan, I'm so glad it seems to be settling. You are being very sensible and patient, as ever. No wonder your poor tum is still sore, though. It's taken a battering. I hope tomorrow will be better. Please let us know. ((()))
    Steven Wright
  • dachshund
    Options
    Thank you Sticky Barbara.
    i'm still all right i have to take a sample to the surgery it will be a few days i have the bottle ready.
    thank you for your help.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,419
    Options
    So glad you are feeling so much better Joan - I bet your tummy will be sore - it's had a battering hasn't it? :(

You take care

love

Toni xxx

Ps nice Doctor :D
  • barbara12
    Options
    Joan I am so pleased your are feeling a little better..just watch what you eat...then it doesn't start things off again...sorry I'm beginning to sound like your mother....you take care (((((())))xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • dachshund
    Options
    Thank you everyone
    i hope you are all having a good day.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Hello Joan. I hope things are a bit better for you. ((()))
    Steven Wright