Dinner party nightmare any budding chefs need advise

WoodyEngland
WoodyEngland Member Posts: 40
edited 15. Feb 2013, 15:55 in Community Chit-chat archive
Having a nightmare I'm holding a dinner party this Saturday for ten guests I've already bought everything for the starters as its a 5 course meal however I've had to change my main course due to a very annoying guest (has to be changed) my other half has panicked and bought 10 chicken breasts so my main course now has to be chicken breast based, I've been thinking about a stuffed chicken main but cannot put cheese in it as my starter is onion and goats cheese tart then tomato and parmizan soup so I can't put more cheese into the main as there's also cheese and biscuits at the end I can't afford to change my starter or main chicken breast choice so I'm now stuck with what I have has anyone got any ideas for a good quality well presented tasty main for a dinner party it can't have cheese or mushrooms as two of my guests also hate mushrooms please help me tearing my hair out!!!!!

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    DOH!!!

My first thought was mushrooms :roll:

What about pesto??

Or lattice chicken???

Toni xx
  • WoodyEngland
    Pesto can be too strong for some people pallets and I'm trying to please ten people haha and yes two of my guests hate mushrooms typical its also got to be a good standard restaurant quality I'm quite a good cook just having a nightmare with the change of main course, and I've got quite important people in my life attending one of my Sgts from my regiment and warrant officer so I can't let the side down!
  • WoodyEngland
    Mmmmm lattice chicken I think it might be abit too bland it needs the X factor haha
  • NinaKKang
    NinaKKang Member Posts: 663
    Fry some onions, ginger and garlic in some oil or butter, chop the chicken into small pieces and fry until golden. Add a jar of creamy tomato sauce (aldi do an excellent one), simmer until cooked, stir in cooked pasta of your choice. Job's a good in un :D

Serve with garlic bread and salad. Should take all of about half an hour from start to finish.

Nxx
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Woody

Why dont you just do a simple white sauce with tarragon..Or make up a few sauces to put on the table that they can put on for their liking or not? A white one, a tomato based on and one with a few more spices?

Elainexx
    Having a nightmare I'm holding a dinner party this Saturday for ten guests I've already bought everything for the starters as its a 5 course meal however I've had to change my main course due to a very annoying guest (has to be changed) my other half has panicked and bought 10 chicken breasts so my main course now has to be chicken breast based, I've been thinking about a stuffed chicken main but cannot put cheese in it as my starter is onion and goats cheese tart then tomato and parmizan soup so I can't put more cheese into the main as there's also cheese and biscuits at the end I can't afford to change my starter or main chicken breast choice so I'm now stuck with what I have has anyone got any ideas for a good quality well presented tasty main for a dinner party it can't have cheese or mushrooms as two of my guests also hate mushrooms please help me tearing my hair out!!!!!
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi woody
    Sorry I'm rubbish at dinner parties.....I do make a mean stick toffee pud though... always goes down a treat :D ....hope everything goes to plan for you x
    Love
    Barbara
  • WoodyEngland
    The source could be an idea but I'm wanting to have the dish served with everything on it presented elegantly not a fan of having loads of sources bought out

I've been thinking something on the lines of a stuffed chicken breast maybe with spinach and garlic mushrooms inside it on a bed of asparagus served with a somthing like roasted peppers and somthing else maybe with a drizzle of a white wine and mushroom source

And for the two non mushroom eaters chicken stuffed spinach with somthing else in

How it looks is just as important as how it tastes and I think if I put loads of side dishes out with help your self options the presentation is lost there's a gordan Ramsey recepie chicken in morel source which looks great and is presented on a bed of asparagus brilliantly I'm want to looosly base my idea on his layout
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Hi
    What about chicken stuffed with haggis and served with a whisky cream peppercorn sauce.............Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • elainebadknee
    Woody

Seems to me everyone is offering alternatives as you requested and your'e buffering them back....If you have fussy guests you will need to cook according to their varying tastes..Why the heck worry about the appearance so much aren't dinner parties supposed to be fun??

Elainex
    The source could be an idea but I'm wanting to have the dish served with everything on it presented elegantly not a fan of having loads of sources bought out

I've been thinking something on the lines of a stuffed chicken breast maybe with spinach and garlic mushrooms inside it on a bed of asparagus served with a somthing like roasted peppers and somthing else maybe with a drizzle of a white wine and mushroom source

And for the two non mushroom eaters chicken stuffed spinach with somthing else in

How it looks is just as important as how it tastes and I think if I put loads of side dishes out with help your self options the presentation is lost there's a gordan Ramsey recepie chicken in morel source which looks great and is presented on a bed of asparagus brilliantly I'm want to looosly base my idea on his layout
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Marie, when can I come to yours for dinner? That sounds divine! I want some now. What a perfect combo, I might have to get a haggis, you've just reminded me how damn tasty that peppery goodness is.

Woody, what about a garlic spinach kinda filling and wrap in pancetta/bacon? Misses the mushrooms out and you could always use butter in the filling. A garlic, olive, sundried tomato mix would work well in a butter, Mr LV makes something like that with steak, it's divine.

Good luck, LV
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • ruby2
    ruby2 Member Posts: 423
    Hammer out the chick breasts between some cling film..
    blend a small amount of salmon...single cream, 1 egg and some prawns or shrimps until a mousse consistency....
    put a dessert spoon of the mixture into each breast....
    fold and wrap 2 pieces of streaky bacon aroun d each (parcel style) and secure with a cocktail stick...
    allow to chill for an hour....
    fryin a little butter to brown a little and r
    transfer to the oven for around 20-25 mins
    with the juices add some white wine cream more prawns and season for the sauce.

adapt as you like e.g. add or omit mushrooms , onions, whisky...as your dish allows.

bon apetite!
    Ruby
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    LV you and the munchkins can come to dinner any time, a wee tip if you want, buy Grants haggis in a tin, when I worked in catering thats all we used as it was the best xx

Woody forgot to add you could serve the chicken breasts on a bed of steamed leeks and for the sauce use pink peppercorns if you are into presentation..........Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Keep it simple. It is a 5 course meal you are offering your guests, for goodness sake ;):)

This can all be done well in advance. Two or 2.5 x the ingredients to make it enough for 10.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2451650/family-meals-chicken-and-veg-casserole

Serve with rice/jacket potatoes/new potatoes.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • WoodyEngland
    Thanks for all the great tips and advise got a good idea now of my plan thanks to your help :0)
  • frogmorton
    Well-done Woody

Hope it goes down a treat with your guests :D

Toni xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    It sounds as if you have things all under control now, Woody. Some great ideas in there too, even if not for this weekend. Thanks, everyone. I have made some notes :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • elainebadknee
    Ps...Can't help but correct this, its the typist in me..

Advice - You ask for advice, eg citizens advice.

Advise - As in financial advisor. Inform someone..

Elainex
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    fingers on the keys please........ Oh Mr. Pitman what things you had us do!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I was never a typist but I was a schoolgirl :lol:

Advice = noun
    Advise = verb

Simples.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • elainebadknee
    I know! Grammar mistakes are easy but spelling ones to me stand out like a sore thumb..Sorry!

Elainexx
  • frogmorton
    Airwave! wrote:
    fingers on the keys please........ Oh Mr. Pitman what things you had us do!

:lol::lol::lol:
  • frogmorton
    Hey Woody!!

Happy BIRTHDAY

h110.gif

love

Toni xx