Not again!

Options
katekelly
katekelly Member Posts: 975
edited 13. Feb 2013, 16:52 in Community Chit-chat archive
Well Folks,

As some of you may knowI'm having a flare at the moment -quite honestly the worst one since I was diagnosed 18 years ago and it's been going on for months. Well both my Rheumy and I think it was because I had 2 teeth out in October and because of NICE guidelines I wasn't given anti-biotic cover and got an infection and it all went pear shaped from then on.

Well on Monday I broke a tooth and the filling fell out. So I've just been to Dentist and guess what?-it's got to come out! Ad because of my history she is referring me to the hospital as before. I could cry! I'm so fed up as it seems as if there is no end to it.

I've got an appointment with my rheumy next month so if that is before the dental appt I'm going to ask him for a prescription for anti-b's to cover me just in case it happens again.

I did ask my dentist why my teeth are starting to almost 'crumble' at the slightest amount of pressure as I've always had very strong teeth -although non-committal when pushed she did agree that it is more than likely due to all the various meds I've taken over the years and I was wondering if any of you have found this also?

Love a very p....d off Kate xx

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    They grind you down, these long flares, don’t they? I can see that, particularly in view of your last dental experience, this new one must seem very daunting. I don’t think it’s usual to give antibios after a routine extraction (We’re all becoming resistant to them, hence the reluctance to prescribe them unless absolutely necessary) but, in view of your last experience, I’d make sure they knew all about it in advance this time. Also I’d be asking for guidance on how to avoid getting an infection afterwards ie are there certain foods that might help or hinder.

I don’t know which meds you think may have caused your teeth to crumble. Steroids do it to bones so it makes sense that they’d also do it to teeth. If you had any prolonged courses of them they might be the culprit. I was on penicillamine for a long time and my then dentist said that wasn’t brilliant for them either.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Options
    No wonder you are feeling so p**ed off. One long flare and then teeth out and infection. You do need to make sure you have antis for after the extraction.

I do hope that you get over this recent bad flare soon. And good luck with the tooth coming out to.
    Karen xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Oh Kate....you really are going through it..and now the teeth..hopefully they can prescribe something to slow this down....do you get free treatment because of this....I do hope you get some relief very soon (((((())))) xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    Oh Kate

I am so so sorry

I didn't believe it coudl happen again :shock:

you need antibiotics before you have them out for certain a good long dose If they'll let you.

My teeth arent what they used to be either, but you are sufferring toooooo bl**min much :x grrr

love

Toni xxx