Disastrous Walk

Options
elainebadknee
elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
edited 18. Feb 2013, 07:00 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi

It were a nice day here in Kendal and me n dad was passing the garage and saw some fresh hen eggs so we got home and decided to have a walk to get some, drink in the spring sunshine....
So off we set, passed by a raucous game of men's hockey, saw 2 good but brutal goals! Then got to garage for eggs, dad nearly dropped 6 in the box....I sat down for a bit on a wall as my new knee (16 weeks) starts of well but tires easily still...After 10 mins seat got back up but leg got stiff, then went past bit in road where they had filled in a pothole and the dust on the road went in my eye..Couldn't see for 5 mins or so was holding it and trying to walk...Then walking along met 5 couples, each time they didn't give way, me or dad gave way (what is wrong with people?) and i started limping, i could feel myself doing it, going down heavier on the new knee and dragging it...Got to end bit, home in sight was 10 mins away and guess what after laughing at a big ginger cat basking in a garden kicked something, oh yes bloody pooh!!!...Wearily trudged down the hill to our cul-de-sac with me poohey boot and eye watering a treat! Had to hold my leg up before we got in house for my dad to pull the offending boot off and in I came with one boot off...I was buggered!
I really thought my new knee would not tire so easily but obviously its still not as strong as I think it is..

Elainexx

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Elaine what a day that was..the weather here has been lovey ...I said to hubby has soon as the sun comes out so do we...its so rare.. well it was last year :roll:
    Hopefully that knee will get stronger, I suppose there is still some healing going on x
    Love
    Barbara
  • babytiger
    babytiger Member Posts: 360
    Options
    Elaine you sound like you had a very adventurous walk.You'll sit back and laugh about it very soon. Funny how we think our bodies are able and then decide otherwise .It was a gorgeous day yesterday,I kept hinting at Pete Im going for a walk round the block (wouldn't have got very far)
    Eileen x
  • barry2013
    barry2013 Member Posts: 151
    Options
    Elaine.
    That sounds like quite a walk, I am learning that my mind wants to do a lot more than my body is able to, stayed indoors yesterday but it was hard. Jim put my chair by patio doors I could sit and see garden and get fresh air, have doc's app this afternoon in village, should be fun getting into our small fiat 500. Jim will be driving.
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    Hi Elaine
    Thought you were supposed to take it steady and not try to do a mammoth walk!
    I only went to ikea on Saturday for couple of hours! Spent rest of afternoon in bed! Grrrr
    Don't think I'm ready for a trip to do the weekly shop!
    Take care
    Maria
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    Hope you feel a little better today , Elaine , You're quite an inspiration the way you've coped with your op and rehab . Jillyb
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Barbara

It is lovely to feel the spring sunshine, its so refreshing and is good to get out despite my escapades!

Elainexx
    barbara12 wrote:
    Elaine what a day that was..the weather here has been lovey ...I said to hubby has soon as the sun comes out so do we...its so rare.. well it was last year :roll:
    Hopefully that knee will get stronger, I suppose there is still some healing going on x
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Eileen

Yes I thought I was able for the walk but it was over a mile and a half (so dad reckoned) so think I did not bad really...I think I expect to have all this extra energy but I keep telling myself its still in its early months..
    I loved going for my morning round the walk as was up at 8am and by 10am was out in the cul-de-sac even though it was freezing...
    It sounds like your operation is already a success for you, long may continue..

Elainexx
    babytiger wrote:
    Elaine you sound like you had a very adventurous walk.You'll sit back and laugh about it very soon. Funny how we think our bodies are able and then decide otherwise .It was a gorgeous day yesterday,I kept hinting at Pete Im going for a walk round the block (wouldn't have got very far)
    Eileen x
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Barry

I know you do think you are more able don;t you? I remember being taken to a small shopping centre, thought I was fine at about 5 weeks and I was freezing, tired and ended up in a wheelchair...Incidentally did you and Eileen know you can hire wheelchairs from british red cross for when you want to go out and someone is willing to push you, just a thought?
    Getting in and out of the 500 should be not bad as long as the seat is shoved right back, get your bum in first and get legs in second....Sounds like you have great support, firstly from your partner and neighbours too!

Elainexx
    barry2013 wrote:
    Elaine.
    That sounds like quite a walk, I am learning that my mind wants to do a lot more than my body is able to, stayed indoors yesterday but it was hard. Jim put my chair by patio doors I could sit and see garden and get fresh air, have doc's app this afternoon in village, should be fun getting into our small fiat 500. Jim will be driving.
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Maria

I know, I did think was up to it but I seem to go far then tire instantly at a certain point!...I am now without any crutches, only when its snowy, icy or slippy. I had agreed to cook a chicken with roast mediterranean veg too yesterday so only had seat for about 10 mins when got home...TIRED!
    I hate and always have hated going to Ikea, its like being on a never-ending treadmill, you just walk aimlessly!

Elainexx
    maria09 wrote:
    Hi Elaine
    Thought you were supposed to take it steady and not try to do a mammoth walk!
    I only went to ikea on Saturday for couple of hours! Spent rest of afternoon in bed! Grrrr
    Don't think I'm ready for a trip to do the weekly shop!
    Take care
    Maria
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Jillyb1

I have walked again this morning with dad for his pension, half the walk yesterday...Did feel a twinge when went to bed last night and in shower today on medial side but its not bad so must be fitter than I reckon..
    Thanks for your kinds words, i try my best...Get a job next!

Elainexx
    jillyb1 wrote:
    Hope you feel a little better today , Elaine , You're quite an inspiration the way you've coped with your op and rehab . Jillyb