Morphine withdrawal - can anyone help please?

Options
tillytop
tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
edited 13. Apr 2013, 11:23 in Living with Arthritis archive
Please is anyone able to share experiences of reducing/coming off morphine?

For the past year I have been on large doses of Oromorph and on the advice of a gastroenterology consultant I am trying to wean myself off (or at least get the dose down) to see if that improves my stomach pain and nausea. I have managed to bring the daily dose down by almost half over the past few weeks and was feeling pleased with myself but it is now getting really hard to reduce further and I keep hitting a "barrier" below which I don't seem to be able to go. Every time I manage it I end up going back up again. Part of the problem is that I find the restless legs syndrome (for which it was originally prescribed) are not manageable at a lower dose, and part of it is that I get cravings and start to get the "heebie jeebies" (to put it mildly) anytime I try to reduce it still further. It's not a case of willpower because I have successfully weaned myself off (irresponsibly prescribed) Diazepam, Temazepam and Codeine in the past few years. I'm just really stuck and wonder if anyone has experience they can share to give me some encouragement.

Many thanks,

Tillyxxx

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh honey, this doesn't sound good. Firstly I send these ((((())))) and secondly these xxxxx

I can only draw on my experience of coming off the oral steroids. As you recall I took nearly a year in reducing the dose, it was a slow and steady process but I got there in the end. How much are reducing are you doing and how often? You've been on big doses for some time now so anything too sudden won't be too helpful - I know, I know, you know your stuff and probably are aware of this but when we're in the middle of things we can lose our focus and forget the basics. All I can suggest is that you reduce very small amounts at a time, maybe at ten days intervals? This should help your body adjust and hopefully reduce (if not eradicate?) the cravings and heebies. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • rockchick
    rockchick Member Posts: 58
    Options
    I'm sorry I have no personal experience of this, but I am very concerned that you appear to be attempting this on your own. I am astounded that your gastro consultant suggested you do this without appropriate help. Coming off steroids has it's own dangers as you know, but the withdrawal effects of morphine present a different challenge.

I appreciate that you would want to share experiences with fellow members here. Would ringing the helplines here be of any use in this situation?

My best wishes, but please, don't try and cope with this without professional advice.
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Hi Tilly sorry I can't help as I have never taken any of these meds but what DD says seems very sensible to me .I will be thinking of you and willing you through this,sending hugs (((((()))))) Mig
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Hello Tilly. It’s lovely to see you here again albeit for all the wrong reasons :( I’m sure you know my theory of ‘meds begetting more meds’ and I’m sure the advice to get off, or reduce, the oromorph is good. My own stomach, having had a – pardon the pun – bellyful of anti-inflamms in my early arthritic years, is now very suspicious of most pharmaceutical products despite generous daily helpings of omeprazole. Pain relief, of any kind, tends to produce the most pain :roll:

Oromorph is a powerful med and you’ve done very well to halve your dose but I do hope, as rockchick has said, that you’re doing it under proper medical supervision and so the best person to advise on how to proceed from here would be your supervising doc, whether GP or consultant.

If I were to give any, very cautious, advice it would be to keep focused on what you’re wanting to achieve which you say is zero oromorph or at least as little as possible. It’s not a race so, if your doc feels the way to achieve your aim is by treading water for a while (to completely mix the metaphors :) ) then why not do just that? Just hang about on the lowest dose you can get away with for a time and give your body chance to readjust. You can always circle a date on the calendar for re-assessing.

I understand that RLS is a very common, though temporary, symptom of morphine withdrawal (though I hadn’t heard of morphine being prescribed for RLS). Holding the fort on the same dose for a while would, I guess, also help the cravings and heebie jeebies though I have to say I really think you need to consult the doc about this sort of thing. With the best will in the world, I don’t think it’s something for us amateurs to dabble with. What we can do is cheer you on and, believe me, no-one will be cheering louder than me, especially if it does result in fewer stomach problems.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,487
    Options
    Tilly :D

It's so so lovely to see your name here :D

Blimey you have done well to get down to half your usual dose - I am totally impressed.

I haven't had to do this as I have only ever been on it for short periods, BUT my sis has had to come off her anti-depressants several times in the past and has found it very very hard. She had to 'stay' on her dose several times for quite a while before being able to drop lower. (weeks I think)

I remember how slowly our own Dreamdaisy had to come off her steroids too :?

It's lovely to see you posting and hope you will let us lot support your reduction.

Love and ((()))

Toni xxx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Tilly
    Its good to see you....I had to administer aromorph to my father, and then because of others meds they wanted him off it....he wasnt to bad in the day but at night he was awful so we went and got something off the GP to ease the night pain...sorry I have forgotten what they gave him but think it was..diazapan....just to get him through it..
    You see your GP they should be helping you with this...(((((()))) xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    Hi Tilly, I can't really help, but I do think you should ask your doctor for advice. I wish you well with it. (((())))
    Numpty
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Evening Tilly, I just wanted to say that although you are facing this on your own you're not alone. We're here. Use us so we can add our various strengths to yours. DD
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    Hi Tilly, it is difficult to come off morphine. I do wonder if you explain to the gp the withdrawal difficulties, they may prescribe something to help temporarily.

Restless legs are horrible, and others meds are often prescribed, maybe that could be a way forward? That is the trouble, one med often begets another.

I send you (((hugs))) and wish you well. It is so nice to hear from you.
  • mig
    Options
    I second what DD says I'm with you all the way.love and hugs. Mig
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Morning Tilly. How are things today?
    Steven Wright
  • mig
    Options
    Hi Tilly hope you had a good night,am thinking of you.Mig
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    ((((())))) xxxxx DD
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Morning Tilly..
    Hope you get that help...(((((()))) xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Hi Tilly

Lovely to see you, I can only reiterate what some of the rest has said you may have to do this a lot slower, I take morphine but only when I have to take the climbing gear out so would be able to stop anytime, you know we are all here for you anytime........tc............Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Tilly,
    Who started you on the oromorph in the first place?
    Would they not help you wean yourself off them?
    I've only had it for a short period {fractured pelvis and SI joint} firstly that then onto slow release stuff.
    My GP made me keep a note of how much I was taking every day and eventually she cut it down bit by bit. {but that was only a short period of having it}
    You should really have support {apart from us} when you are doing this. It must be so difficult. I can remember DD a while back when she was doing a similar thing.
    Sending ((((((()))))))
    Love
    Hileena
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,958
    Options
    Hello Tilly
    it is nice seeing you on here i wish you all the best with the morphine withdrawal. ((((((((tilly))))))))
    i take morphine every day but only when my pain get's to much.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Tilly, I'm still thinking of you. I do hope you've managed to sort something out about the oromorph and today's been a bit better. I'd been wondering, before you posted, how you were getting on. I'm sure the reduction can be managed, just that it needs a doc to manage it. We can definitely do the encouragement bit though and, as you see, are all very willing :P
    villier wrote:
    I take morphine but only when I have to take the climbing gear out

:shock: OK, come on, Marie. You can't leave it at that. Is it Ben Nevis? Or have you been bagging a few Monroes?
    Steven Wright
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    Hi Tilly, I'm thinking of you, (((())))
    Numpty
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Tilly, I'm still thinking of you. I do hope you've managed to sort something out about the oromorph and today's been a bit better. I'd been wondering, before you posted, how you were getting on. I'm sure the reduction can be managed, just that it needs a doc to manage it. We can definitely do the encouragement bit though and, as you see, are all very willing :P
    villier wrote:
    I take morphine but only when I have to take the climbing gear out

:shock: OK, come on, Marie. You can't leave it at that. Is it Ben Nevis? Or have you been bagging a few Monroes?

Nothing as exciting Sticky just the sitting room/bedroom walls :lol: xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I've just received a text from her. She's very miserable, on top of all this it would seem that she might have a viral infection, she had a temperature of 103 last night, it then went back to normal this morning but has risen again. Her husband rang the doctor and that was his conclusion. Our poor, poorly tillytop. :( DD
  • mig
    Options
    Tilly sorry to read you are not well hope you feel better soon,mega hugs Mig(((((())))))
  • lizzy100
    lizzy100 Member Posts: 235
    Options
    i was on morphine and i found that i had to decrease it really slowly or i would get weird withdrawal symptoms. Id say dont be taking any diazepam or stuff like that, thatl just make it worse and swap one bad thing for another. if you can decrease it by 1/2mls every couple of days or something? Can your doc give you some advice on how to cut back?
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I'm so sorry you have a virus, Tilly. The one good thing is that your GP will now be dealing with the oromorph withdrawl and I think that's the best solution. I hope the temperature stays down now. (())
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    A little update to say I haven't heard from her today. :( DD