Physio appointment wedensday

Options
MUM1
MUM1 Member Posts: 79
edited 21. Feb 2013, 11:41 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have been attending pyhsio since december when I had a flare up of OA in my hip but also have carpal tunnel flare from 15 years ago which both gp and physio have said is a combination of hysterectomy last august, work and OA. I had first been prescribed 50mg of diclofenac 3 x daily and 8mg/500mg co-codamol which barely even touched the pain as even trying to manage meds to last night time would still be in pain and if i even managed to fall over asleep was awake within a couple of hours. Went back to gp and was presribed stronger co-codamol 30mg/500mg 4x2 daily(declined tramadol as have had before and was wary about effects at work ie lots of stairs). Things are a bit better with my hip now at least not limping at work but still gets sore as well as the knees lower and upper back. Physio gave me wrist splints 4 weeks ago for the carpal tunnel I had this previuosly 15 years ago when pregnant son and wore the wrist splints and they helped a lot however this time around I am seeing very little difference if at all any. Still getting tingling numbnes in my thumb middle and index finger in each hand as well as pain going from base of my thumb to wrist and pain in middle parts of these finger joints. She had advised wearing splints at night to enable me to have undisturbed sleep although have had to resort to wearing them on one occassion at work ( I work as a cleaner) as was getting same numbness and pain while vaccuming and mopping. Even while I am sitting at rest I get numbness and pain in joints. Will she advise me to continue with splints or will there be something else? thanks

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    You are asking us to second guess your physio, Mum1, and we don't, alas, have the gift of second sight :) She is certainly the best person to advise you. My guess is she might suggest more splints or might refer you for an op of the carpal tunnel. If you explain things to her as well as you have to us I'm sure she'll come up with something. Good luck for Wed.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • MUM1
    Options
    Thanks for replying stickywicket. She did have a problem trying to get the splints sized properly so that could be the problem. Surgery would be the last resort as I only returned to work in the middle of november after having my hysterectomy at the end of august.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I had a double carpal tunnel op in November and needed to take two months off work. (I'm self-employed so that was a financial hit). I was getting tinglling and numbness throughout my fingers, it would wake me at night but since the op it's been blissful - it's just the arthritis that wakes me now. :wink: I also wore the splints at night but, when I saw the orthopaedic surgeon he said that surgery was the only and best option. The splints won't stop everything but they will help your hands. My carpal tunnel was caused by the arthritis in my hands and wrists - your first bout was probably due to your pregnancy (that is a common cause) but this time round I doubt it will cease let alone ease - an op may be on the cards but your people are best placed to advise you on that. Good luck. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,487
    Options
    Hi Mum1

I hope she will have some futher ideas for you :( It does sound painful. Is it one hand or both (sorry if you already said and my brain hasn't absorbed it :oops: ).

Sometimes they give you two types of splints 'workin' ones and night time 'resting' splints.

I can see totally why you would rather 'keep going' a while having been off a while so recently, but if it has to be done......

Let us know how you get on

Love

Toni xxx
  • MUM1
    Options
    Hi frogmorton thanks for replying it's in both hands and the pain can be worse in each intermittently. I think the keep going thing is more financial as I was signed of for 3 months because I work as a cleaner fortunately I had a nice little prezzie from the taxman shortly after my op so it helped tide us over a bit otherwise I would have felt under a lot of pressure to return to work at about 6 weeks. As it was one of the female gp's was a bit iffy about me asking to return to work at 12 weeks. Sick pay is no where near what you get paid each month and we still had full rent and council tax to pay during that time.
  • MUM1
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    I had a double carpal tunnel op in November and needed to take two months off work. (I'm self-employed so that was a financial hit). I was getting tinglling and numbness throughout my fingers, it would wake me at night but since the op it's been blissful - it's just the arthritis that wakes me now. :wink: I also wore the splints at night but, when I saw the orthopaedic surgeon he said that surgery was the only and best option. The splints won't stop everything but they will help your hands. My carpal tunnel was caused by the arthritis in my hands and wrists - your first bout was probably due to your pregnancy (that is a common cause) but this time round I doubt it will cease let alone ease - an op may be on the cards but your people are best placed to advise you on that. Good luck. DD
    Hi dreamdaisy I also meant to say that I get spasms in my hands and fingers(feeling almost like an electric shock is the best way I can describe it) when for example doing up my zip on my jacket, washing akward to reach places in the shower etc. Did you ever experience that?
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,958
    Options
    Hello Mum.
    good luck for wednesday.i have not had that problem.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • MUM1
    Options
    Just back from my appointment with physio and as the wrist splints are not helping she said to go back and see gp for possible referal to hand doctor she seemed pleased that I seem to be managing my meds ok for OA and coping (although it sometimes doesn't feel like it) with work. She did ask if I had any neck pain in reference to the carpal tunnel and I told her it gets creaky but only very occassional stiffness she examined the joints in my fingers and said they apeared to be a bit swollen and my fingers were numb as well so she asked me to pull my body upright to see if it made a difference and it started to ease off a bit to which she said "that's interesting" but nothing more just to go back and see gp.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Ah Mum1, that's where you have to leap in and ask "What's interesting?" before the moment passes :) Ask the doc when you see him - if you want to know. Not everyone does.

It sounds like a good appointment. I'm pleased.
    Steven Wright
  • MUM1
    Options
    Hi stickywicket I didn't want to ask as she might not have said. She did mention that most likley I will have surgery seeing as the splints aren't working but I suppose that will depend on the hand doctor she said he will test nerves in my wrist but before that still need to go back and see gp. Does physio put notes etc in your records? where I live you don't tend to be alocated a particullar gp although I do try and stick to asking for one out of 2 that I see most often.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I'm not sure. It's so long since I saw a physio. I'd assume they'd report back to whoever referred you ie GP or consultant (though consultants do report back to GPs). I'm sure someone on here will know. It might be worth starting a new thread.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,487
    Options
    Hi Mum1

Sounds like she knows what she's doing. You tried her idea and she suspects it needs more than just physio.

Like you I stick to the doc I like best, but am unsure whether they feed back to GPs. I am sure your word ought to be enough though.

Love

Toni xx
  • MUM1
    Options
    I also mentioned to physio that I had had psoriasis when I was younger although no physical signs of it now. I explained to her how it came about as in an earlier post I made (confused). She had asked if I had any blood test done and I had said yes about 2 years ago gp at the time was the one who refered me this time for physio, when she had bloods done she had said something about fluid levels . I have to go back to see gp begining of march about carpal tunnel so will say to her about the psoriasis as well, as you said dreamdaisy although I have no physical evidence ie any scaly patches (on knees, ears elbows etc) it could still be dormant in my body.