Back stiffness after injections?

Options
suzygirl
suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
edited 19. Feb 2013, 10:49 in Living with Arthritis archive
A quick question for those of you who have had facet joint injections or suffer with arthritis in spine. How bad is your stiffness? I am almost bent double for a couple of hours in the morning and it is driving me mad. It is so painful. The leg pain is worse and I am wondering why.

Is it because the injections made things worse? Or is it that the effects of the injections have worn off? I am flaring at the moment and have an emergency rheumy appt tomorrow. However my back is considered as OA and not inflammatory therefore irrelevant.

Is it just one of those things I have to get used to? I do have a pain clinic appt next month and will mention it. Just wondered how anyone else find this?

Comments

• 19smp59
    19smp59 Member Posts: 105
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi there,

I had facet joint injections a few years ago and they certainly didn't cause any stiffness and I wasn't told that could be a side effect. I was told that pain could increase for a short while after the injections, although this didn't happen to me. If your back is stiff for so long perhaps some physio would be helpful.

Suzanne
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi,
    I've not had facet injections....I've had root nerve injections in my back ...no side effects....but they didnt help :?
    I'm having more root nerve injections in a few weeks time but in a different place in my back.
    After that...if that doesnt work...its facet injections.
    My back is curved but thats because I have scoliosis as well as arthritis

Love
    Hileena
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    I've had none so can't help at all except to say you're an old hand at this, Suzygirl. You know the score. If in doubt, check it out. Having said that, I hope things might be a bit better today.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Suzy
    I have had facet joint injection and they didnt cause ant stiffness, they didnt help me much.. but I know many that have them and get great relief.
    I do have the awful pain and stiffness...so I understand what you are going through...I use my beloved wheat bags on my back and neck...the heat really helps.
    Hope you get some relief very soon xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    Thanks, I will get it checked at my next appt. Its just a nuisance really. I wonder if it is my back or my hips? I know others have this dilemma.