Hip Osteoarthritis

Options
19smp59
19smp59 Member Posts: 105
edited 22. Feb 2013, 08:54 in Living with Arthritis archive
I am new to this forum and it does seem a good place to gain some knowledge and advice. I have Osteoarthritis in my cervical spine which has caused spinal canal and foramen stenosis and I am at the moment waiting for an appointment with a Neurosurgeon.

I also also have more generalised Osteoarthritis which includes both hips which showed as 'moderate' on x-ray just over four years ago. At the time of the x-ray I was not really having many problems with my hips. I now find the pain manageable during the day, I just have problems with stiffness and dressing etc. My main problem is at night - I can't lie on my back and my hips are becoming really painful and stiff at night when I lie on them, sometimes I find it almost impossible to turn over in bed.

I have returned to my GP who has just advised me to take Paracetamol along with the 800mg of Tramadol I take each day and she has given me a prescription for Amitriptyline. She did not examine my hips and my right hip now has very little movement in it. I mentioned to her that I was having problems with my ankle and was unsure if this was due to the way I was walking etc, but she just said to me "well you have generalised Osteoarthritis and it is cold"! She didn't examine my ankle either.

Does anyone have similar problems with lying on their painful hips? Or any other advice?

Many thanks
Suzanne

Comments

• hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Suzanne
    I dont know if I have any suggestions.....just sympathy.
    I'm in much the same position. I have Osteo in ankle, both hips, lower spine and neck.
    I've got kypho scoliosis and spinal stenosis.
    I've had one THR....the other one was to be done about 4 moths after the first.....that was 3 years ago :roll: and it still hasnt been done.
    I cant sleep on my back because of the scoliosis and its getting more difficult to sleep on my hip because its so sore. The one that was replaced is also sore to lie on.
    Just sending you loads of hugs ((((((((((()))))))))))
    Hope someone else can come up with advice
    Love
    Hileena
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Hello from me, too, Suzanne and welcome to the forum. Mine is essentially RA though OA has joined in over the years.

The treatment for OA is really just pain relief and physio. In my experience GPs rarely examine for anything these days so no surprise there. I do think you might asked to be referred for physio, though, as that will keep the supporting muscles strong. Also many have got benefits from Pain Clinics which give tips and techniques for dealing with pain. An ankle support might help (You can buy them from the chemist's) but only wear it for short periods otherwise your supporting muscles will decide to fall asleep :roll: Juggling with when and how you take the meds might help too. I hope so :)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Suzanne
    And a warm welcome form me
    I have OA in my hips and a few others places...I still have quite a bit of movement in my hips..but the xrays show more or less...bone on bone...so that is how complex it can be
    I have stenosies of the spine ....so they are thinking a lot of pain is coming from there....but THRs are on the cards
    I take the Amitriptyline at night to help me sleep..I take it at 6.30 and go to bed around ten...I did feel slightly drowsy in a morning at first but nothing now...and I don't sleep to bad.
    Must say my left ankle has started to ache but to honest I dont want any more X rays...so I will just hobble on
    You will get lots of info off this forum and support so I do hope you stay with us x
    Love
    Barbara
  • elsa56
    elsa56 Member Posts: 98
    Options
    So sorry to hear about your problems. I suffer very much the same and sadly not alot we can do about it. One thing I do find helps is laying on my side and putting a pillow in between my legs and slightly raising my leg so they are at a different angle.If that makes sense.
    I use a v pillow as well that I put part of it down my back, my head on the v part and cuddle the other part, that stops me from twisting my spine.
    I started phsyio last week and she gave me exercises to do and they are painful. I should have gone this week but have got a bad cold or flu.
    She did tell me that I ticked all the boxes for Hip replacement but am still fighting with pain relief.
    Keep your chin up
    Take Care
    Elsa
    xx
  • newbygran
    newbygran Member Posts: 96
    Options
    I too have O A in the hips, I had a bad flare up last week, got some advice and comfort from this site, ( their a good bunch here ) it's calmed down a bit; now my foot is painfull; :cry:
  • 19smp59
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the really helpful replies, it's at least nice to know that lots of other people are having similar problems and able to offer such good advice. I have taken the first Amitriptyline tonight. Last time I took one of these, some years ago, it just really knocked me out! Luckily on that occasion I didn't have work the following day. I have told my colleague that if I am not in work by 9.30am she needs to ring my mobile! I am at least hoping for some improved sleep as I am determined to get my quality of life back on track. If I can get the sleep sorted I intend to try walking at night and weekends. I used to have a dog, which was brilliant for making me walk. I need to get used to the idea of going for a walk on my own without a dog.
    I shall keep reading the site for lots of good tips and information and thanks for all your friendliness - I am new to this sort of thing and it is a little frightening posting for the first time on a forum.

Suzanne xxx
  • kentishlady
    kentishlady Member Posts: 809
    Options
    Hi Suzanne. Welcome from me too. You will find everyone on the forum friendly, helpful and supportive, so just join in whenever you want to. Do hope you can get your meds sorted out soon and they will help. I've got OA with my back affected and it now seems (am currently waiting for x-ray next week) that my knee has decided to come out in sympathy!!

Hope your day is as good as possible.

Beryl ((()))

p.s. whereabouts in Lancashire are you? Although I was born and live in Kent, I have Lancastrian connections as my Father came from there and I used to visit my Gran when I was small. Also have some friends up your way too. x
  • 19smp59
    Options
    Hi Beryl

I live in a village called Ainsworth, which is between Bury and Bolton. I work in Bury.

I tried the Amitriptyline for the first time last night, felt like I slept a bit better, so I hope there will be some improvement. Have tried to change my hours a little at work and have to admit that this week has been the best in ages - have managed to get home from work without feeling like crawling into bed. I hope it continues.

Thanks for your friendly reply.

Suzanne
  • ThisOne
    ThisOne Member Posts: 1
    Options
    For a few weeks I have been taking three tablespoons of olive oil daily.
    I cannot believe how much range of movement and ease of movement have improved. I never was in great pain before but even the pain I felt has almost gone. Sometimes I almost forget I have a problem.(osteo in one hip).
    I am also taking vinegar and gelatin three times a day but to me it seems that it is the olive oil that has done the trick.
    I am still astonished by it.
    (I started on this convinced nothing at all would make any difference).
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello 19smp59, I have OA in both ankles and both knees (thanks to the joint damage caused by my other auto-immune arthritis)n and now my right hip has decided to join in the fun. :roll: It all kicked off when my husband was admitted to hospital, despite being used to constant pain thanks to 38 rubbish joints, this new pain rendered me unable to do more than just moo with disomfort. :lol: On reflection I'm not surprised it's happened, I've had many years of walking badly (even with my aids) because my other leg joints are a mess but this has taken my breath away - and not in a nice way. :wink:

When my masseur came in to give me a good going over I found, much to surprise, that lying on my front was reasonably comfortable but that's no good for sleeping because I also have the onset of OA in my neck. All I can recommend in a pillow under your knees so that some weight is taken from the hips, the amytryp should help (people on here tend to take it somewhere between 7 and 8pm so they don't wake up with a sludgy head). I think your ankle trouble could be due to the OA in your hip but I am not a doctor. How soon could you be considered for a hip replacement? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben