Do you skimp on your boiler services ?

alanthemanc
alanthemanc Bots Posts: 512
edited 20. Feb 2013, 14:13 in Community Chit-chat archive
My mothers boiler went kaput..... So I called in a few favours off a mate of mine. He fitted a new Printed Circuit Board, and a couple of other new parts.
He told me if it had been a call out from a major gas firm, it would have been £380 plus vat ,obviously he did it for half that for me. Here endeth the lesson, like cars, people will skimp on things in the recession, and if your skint, boilers are the last thing money goes on.
Beware if your boiler starts making funny noises, start saving up. By the way, it was only a 10 minute job.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    We have a contract but we recently almost changed to a cheaper one. After realising much skullduggery was going on, we kept with the original people.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    We have ours serviced annually each October by a local plumber, it costs about £65 which leaves us enough for the gas bill. :wink: What I can't afford is a regular service for Daisy. :( DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    It doesn't matter how skint I am I pay my service provider each month for a heating plan as my boiler is so old I wouldn't be able to pay the bills if it broke down and they service it every year as well xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    My hubby services ours ...its his job...and yes DD that is enough to pay...he charges a bit more if its not been cleaned or serviced...dont think that contracts are the best deals.. least said....
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Having a contract depends on one's circumstances. They can give you great peace of mind as long as the provider is up to the mark - that's the tricky bit to assess and you only find out when things go wrong. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    One of my neighbours used to be a plumber. He's retired now but told me it wasn't worth getting one of those plans. Much cheaper just to pay as and when anything goes wrong. Something I read about the plans was that they only cover boilers until they reach a certain age. The company will continue to take the premiums though without telling you they won't repair old boilers.
    Christine
  • Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
    I have a contract for my central heating and have mine serviced each year but then again I worked for a major gas company and worked in the spare parts department know how much a engineer call out and parts can cost even for the smallest part. I now have electrical cover, kitchen appliance cover and plumbing and drainaged cover all from the same company so am well covered and In pay about £60 a month for the lot .
    Stay positive always👍xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    I have cover Alan, but haven't been able to in the past finance-wise.

It's not cheap.

Love

Toni xxx