Feeling Rather Worried

Options
shandy4greenday
shandy4greenday Member Posts: 344
edited 21. Feb 2013, 10:17 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have just got back from the hospital and have now been given my first lot of Meth and folic acid to be taken 2 days after the Meth my hydroxy will start next time in 4 weeks.I am now really worried about starting all this new medication as the side effects worry me, I know everyone is different and react differently I think it's just the shock of it all now setting in how serious this really is, I will be getting my eye test and I will be getting bloods done every 2 weeks lucky I don't have a needle phobia, my consultant is quite concerned about my shoulder and neck as I have lack of movement there also now. Can anyone advise me on when is the best time to take Meth as I see some people have recommended before bed some morning.Thank You

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    It's not the scary monster that its bad press would have us believe. OK, it can be tough for some to adjust but there are ways and means around that. I do my meth injection in the morning simply because that's when the hospital did it but my humira I do at night so I can go straight to bed - not because I need to but because that's the habit I've established for suiting me. I take 5mg FA once a week, two days after my meth injection and if I remember. :wink: I expect you have the tablet form? How much is your initial dose? I think I began at 10mg then it was gradually increased, I didn't suffer from nausea but I did get tired every now and again. I used to take the tablets after breakfast.

I've had very little trouble from the meth over the years and the same goes for a fair few of us on here. I sincerely hope you'll be in that number too. Be conscientious about your bloods, they are very important for the monitoring. Have you been given a booklet for the figures to be recorded? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    I take meth and hydroxy and have done for years. Some people will get side-effects and they are the ones most likely to post on here. The vast majority of 'meth-takers' are just out there living their lives with no problems.

I've always taken mine in the morning with breakfast. I've never had any problems with that. Those who do feel nauseous seem to find it helps to take it at night time but I haven't needed that route.

Be conscientious about your blood tests and try not to worry. Chances are, you'll be fine.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • shandy4greenday
    Options
    I have been given tablet form 6 to be taken for the first 2 weeks and then increased to 8 after the 2 weeks taken once a week followed by FA 2 days later and yes dream I have been given a booklet to record my bloods this is new to me so what should I be looking out for in my bloods I need to try not to look out for the side effects or it will make it worse am I right in thinking these also have to be taken with food I think I will take in evening as I am due every Mon but she wants me to take first dose today for this week so I will take my folic on Thursday to as it needs 48 hours.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I don't know how things will pan out for you re the meth booklet but this is what happens with me.

I am now on two-monthly bloods, I get these done at the hospital and then my booklet is filled in by the nurse at the hospital when I collect my meth. The monitoring is essential - things went haywire with me once and I hadn't a clue 'cos I felt OK. I've never worried about the results, I wait for them to contact me (as they did when things went wrong, I was on holiday and had to fanny about getting emergency bloods done!) my reasoning being they're the experts and I have other things to be gettting on with.

With all my meds I read the leaflet once then put it away. The mind is a powerful thing, whether one could 'talk' oneself into side effects I don't know but I've always presumed I won't get any. I've had a lifetime of swallowing and injecting nasty things and don't think twice about any of it. If you're coming at this from a healthy background it must be so difficult to grasp the changes that are happening - I've never had that worry. :lol: The humira has given me high blood pressure (so more tablets) and it does carry a risk of cancer but my attitude is I could get that anyway - and that can be cured. Arthritis can't. It's all about what quality of life can be achieved in the here-and-now. I would like mine to be better but I do accept it would be a great deal worse without the medication. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Just for the record, as my meth booklet procedure is different, maybe because I’m on tablet meth and DD is on injections:

I get my bloods done at the GP’s surgery. Every time I need a prescription for meth I hand in the booklet. When I pick up the prescription the booklet is returned and, if I’ve had a blood test recently, updated. Figures at the back tell you what is normal for each thing they test for. If there’s ever been a problem my GP has contacted me.
    Steven Wright
  • shandy4greenday
    Options
    I was given the choice of having my bloods done at the hospital or my GP so as I'm only 10 min walk to my GP and don't drive I decided to have them done at my GP's I was supposed to have my first one done at the hospital but had so much paperwork and didn't know what they were all for and realized she forgot to give me the form to give the department so as I had to collect my prescription at the hospital and there was an hour and half wait I forgot all about going back as I went to get some lunch so I rang my doc to have my first one done at my GP instead which is on Monday nothing was said to me about my medication but I'm back for my next appointment in 4 weeks so I assume I will be given them then if not I'll find out where I will collect them in future.Up until 3 years ago when I gave up smoking I rarely visited my GP ever since then I feel my health has just gone downhill even though I know it wasn't the cause of getting Arthritis or that I regret it as giving up smoking was the best thing I did and would never change that.It is hard adjusting to my new lifestyle and very scary 6 months ago I was enjoying a family holiday in Spain which I saved so hard for I would never of thought a month later I had the onset of Arthritis let alone all the complications that come with it and I am only just 41.it has opened up my eyes in a big way as believe it or not before I would of been one of those that just assumed it was associated with older people how wrong I was.Now I am taking lots of different medication all I had before was inhalers gathering dust as since I gave up smoking improved 99%.So here I am now and I will get through it like most of us.
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    Yes, you will get through this, hopefully you won't have any side effects from the meth, and it will help you. I wish you well with it.
    All the best,
    Numpty
  • Thelaststarfighter
    Thelaststarfighter Member Posts: 34
    Options
    Hello to all,

I am a newly diagnosed seronegative sufferer and have some worries about having to start sulfasasalinze tomorrow. My GP is waiting on the bloods coming back to start me on the correct dosage.
    I am 31 and a joiner, the consultant has already told me to change jobs and well that's easier said than done!

Needless to say I am some what concerned for the future and after what the consultant followed by the GP told me about the possible sulf side affects which my family are horrified at least of all my wife, I just don't know what to think or do.

Any thoughts or help?
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Hello thelaststarfighter. It's good to meet you. I've not taken sulphasalazine myself but I've been on a combination of methotrexate and hydroxychloroquine for years. These meds all sound scary at first but you will be well-monitored with regular blood tests while taking sulph. Yes, it's a powerful med but, unchecked, your sero-neg arthritis would be even more scary. Possible side effects are just that - possible. They're not something that everyone gets. I'd strongly urge you to just do as the docs suggest.
    Steven Wright
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    Hi
    I've just started mtx 3wks ago and have blood tests every two weeks then go on to monthly
    Did you have to have flu and pneumonia jabs before you started it?
    They need to make sure are blood levels are ok in my book it states what the normal should be but it's really up to the docs and rheumy nurse as the blood results help in prescribing mtx and see if its ok for you and not making you poorly
    At the min I don't seem to have any benefits yet and all my joints are really sore but I do know it can take awhile before its starts to improve
    My next stage is injections if tablets are not effective
    As usual it's a waiting game
    Hope it helps you
    Maria
  • shandy4greenday
    Options
    Thankyou I have had a flu jab I always had that anyway cause of my asthma even though I rarely get any problems with that anymore except just recently cause I was really late having my flu jab.I. Have taken my first dose and so far no side effects bearing in mind it's only the first day.I was informed it can take up to 12 weeks for and benefit.My consultant did want me to take steroid tablets as the Jab never helped that much but I am trying to lose some weight so we decided to see how it goes as I do have a tens machine and would like to avoid unless I really need them. So this is the start of much more to come now so I best start learning to adjust to my new life least I have a holiday in August to look forward to after all this I think I am gonna need it. :D
  • Thelaststarfighter
    Options
    Nice to meet you too stickywicket!

Thanks for the advice and I will listen to the doc with an intentive ear. The doc did not ring today so the bloods must not be back yet so still haven't started the sulf yet.
    While I am worried about the possible side effects, I am just so happy that the drugs exist.

How long have you been a sufferer?
  • shandy4greenday
    Options
    2 days in and so far I'm feeling fine with no side effects fingers crossed it stays that way too :D
  • stickywicket
    Options
    shandy4greenday - I see no reason why not. I'd just forget about side-effects and look forward to some relief :)

thelaststarfighter - Over 50 years but I only realised when I read your question that I never tell people I suffer from arthritis, just that I have it. Suffering is too passive. I fight the b*gg*r :lol:
    Steven Wright
  • Thelaststarfighter
    Options
    Stickywicket,

Fight it! That's just what I'll do too!

Gonna start and be just as awkward with it as it is with me!

Thanks for the urging stickywicket, needed that!