I have just been diagnosed with RA

Options
Teapot
Teapot Member Posts: 272
edited 25. Feb 2013, 07:28 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello All
I have just joined this forum as I have today been diagnosed with RA. I have had very painful shoulder and top of arm together with swollen and painful index finger for the last 7 weeks. I have had Xrays and blood tests which revealed RA. Doctor advised anti inflammentry tabs and to keep a diary for a month and then return. Any advice would be welcome regarding exercise and sleeping as I am waking at least 3 times in the night in pain. I am just looking for advice to help myself through these flare ups. Thank you in advance for any help.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello valde, it's very nice to meet you and I am pleased you have found us. I don't have RA (I have another auto-immune sort, psoriatic arthritis (PsA) and osteo) but the meds for the PsA are the same as the ones used for RA.

Hopefully the anti-inflammatory tablets will help - I take diclofenac (plus a stomach protector but that's because I am on them long-term) and I hope you also have some pain relief to hand. I honestly cannot remember the last time I slept through the night but I am much further along my arthritic road than you. Who has diagnosed you, your GP? If so has he mentioned a referral to a rheumatologist? They are the ones who deal with auto-immune arthritis but keeping a diary is for sure a good idea. Note what helps, what hinders, what aggravates or eases pain, tiredness levels and the like because that will give whoever you see next a better picture of you and your arthritis.

As for exercise that is a tricky issue. I suggest keeping it simple and low-impact, regular walks might be a good thing but given your shoulder and arm are troublesome swimming may not be helpful. Do you have a cycle? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Mormodook
    Mormodook Member Posts: 130
    Options
    Hi - I was diagnosed with RA 15 years ago when I was in my twenties . The first piece of advice I'd give you is to make sure your GP has referred you to see a rheumatologist at the hospital as the waiting list can be very long and it's important to be seen( even if only for peace of mind ) - depends where in the country you live but it can take months. Over the years I've had mostly settled periods with intermittent very sore flare ups ( like just now ) . I'm also finding I'm waking up with pain through the night ..... I put a pillow between my knees and kind of "cuddle" a pillow to support my shoulders if they are sore . Take care
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Hello Valde and welcome from me, too. I also have RA and I agree with the others. You need to see a rheumatologist. The anti-inflammatories will help but only the rheumatologist can prescribe the disease modifying meds which you really need.

Meanwhile you could ask your GP for some pain relief for night time. He could also refer you to a physio for an exercise programme but, if you look under 'Publications & Resources' at the top of this page, you'll see Arthritis Care have a booklet on 'Exercise'. Take it very gently and carefully at first.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dragonman
    dragonman Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi all

Like valde, I have only just come across and joined this forum, which does look as though it will be of great help. I was diagnosed back in October last year with OA of the neck (moderate to severe...whatever that actually means?!), but was not actually given any advice by my GP, other than being prescribed Voltarol Emugel, and being told to take pain killers if needed! The gel doesn't seem to do much, and I now probably take more painkillers (usually Solpadeine as it also seems to trigger headaches and exacerbate the migraines that I also get!) than is possibly good for me!

Having read a few threads here, it seems as though I should go back and get referred to a rheumatolgist? From others experience, is there anything else I should be doing? Also, could someone explain what is meant by 'acceptance'...at the moment I am just ploughing on with life and trying to forget the discomfort!

Thanks in advance for. any advice etc!

Take care all
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Hi dragonman and welcome to the forum.

I do think going back to your GP would be a good idea as he can advise on pain relief. It's never good to overdo it. Sometimes, different types can be combined but this isn't a job for DIY :wink:

However, I don't think a rheumatologist would be of much use to you. They deal with the auto-immune forms of arthritis, not - usually - OA. (I have a wobbly foot in both camps :) )
    Steven Wright
  • Teapot
    Options
    Thank you all so much for replying so quickly and I will certainly heed all advice. I must admit I feel a bit of a fraud because I am 67 and there are a lot of young people out there with this, my daughters friend included. I will definitely asked to be referred to reumatologist when I go back to doctor in a month. I also have psiorisis on my hands and feet which I have had for around 9 years now and am being treated for this. My doctor said there is a link between that and RA has anyone else heard of this. She also gave me a stomach protector pill with the anti imfammentry tabs. Thanks also for the advice re the pillows I will certainly try that tonight. I will also send for the exercise booklet. Thanks again for all your advice and I will keep using this site as it has really helped me in this short time since yesterday. Regards Valde
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Please, do not 'feel a fraud', valde. You are as much entitled to treatment as anyone and I say that as someone almost your own age who has had RA since I was 15.

If you have psoriasis you are more likely to have Psoriatic Arthritis than RA. They're very similar and the meds are the same but you do need to see the rheumatologist for a proper diagnosis and meds.

If you're still in so much pain you should see your GP before the month is up. He might be able to tweak the meds a bit or add something to them. But the main thing is to get that referral.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,487
    Options
    Does PsA give a positive R factor though sticky?

Lovely to meet you Valde and also Dragonman :) I am very glad you ahve found us. The forums are a fabulous support.

You will gain a lot from them not least of which the confidance to sk for what you need.

Dragonman if you are giving yourself extra migraines with the painkillers I would go back - the GP may have soething else to suggest without paracetamol in it? You can ask to be referred to physio if you think it might help?

Valde I do think if you have positive RFactor you ought to ask to see a rheumy too.

Love

Toni xxx
  • Teapot
    Options
    Thanks Stickywicket for your encouragement. I will certainly ask for referral, top priority now I have been on this forum. Thanks again and have a comfortable night.
  • Teapot
    Options
    Thanks Frogmorton, nice to meet you. I am definitely going get referral to Rheumy when I go to doctor for my next appointment in a month as this definitely seems the way forward. Thank you.
    Hello Dragonman - Doctor gave me co-codomol but they were obviously too strong as they made me feel absolutely terrible and did not touch the pain. I went back to Ibroprophen backed up by paracetemol if needed which the doctor gave me and I think these are helping to take the inflamation down. Go back to doctor and say they are not agreeing with you which is what I did with co-codamol. Good luck Hope you have a restful night
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    Hi valde, and dragonman, I just wanted to take this opportunity to welcome you both to this brilliant forum.
    All the best,
    Numpty
  • stickywicket
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    Does PsA give a positive R factor though sticky?

:oops: I...er....don't think so :lol: She's right, valde. She usually is :) Thanks, frog.
    Steven Wright
  • Teapot
    Options
    Thank you all for the welcome and I agree it is a brilliant forum and so glad I found it. Not sure what you mean frogmorton about the PsA positive . My RA was confirmed via a blood test do you mean there is another test if associated with psiorisis (sorry can never spell that). This is something I may be able to discuss with Rheumy. Also has anyone found a good heat rub to put on at night and also heat patch that stays on for during the day, preferable straight on to skin as I can't walk around with hot water bottle on my shoulder during the day they would certainly take me away !! Has anyone tried the Solapas patch which they are advertising on TV at the moment ?
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Inflammatory arthritis comes in two sorts, sero-positive (where rheumatoid factor is peresent in the blood) and sero-negative (where it isn't). My PsA is a sero-negative type. My inflammation markers were always high but I was only given the PsA diagnosis when my skin obliged with a bout os psoriasis. It changed nothing on the meds front, however.

Heat patches, Valde? I bought some of the V*ltar*l ones, they're certainly warming but after a while they don't stay on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • DebraKelly
    DebraKelly Member Posts: 398
    Options
    Welcome to the club.

I have both RA and psoarsis.

I am currently on Meth by injection with a folic acid the day after. I also get steriod injections into the knee every 6 months or so. I use a special shampoo for the psoarsis.

Please speak to a RA consultant. Its also important for you to keep a medical diary.

Also keep an eye on what you are eatting, different types of food also affect Meth and RA (example oranges), where as others can help (example ginger).
  • Teapot
    Options
    Hello DebraKelly
    Thanks for your welcome and advice - I am adding to my shopping list the ginger, thought I would try the tea. I am also going to get a wheat bag to warm up, another suggestions found on this forum. I have not seen rheumatologist yet as have to keep a diary for the next month and then go back to doctor when I will ask for referral. Any other tips from anyone would be welcome. Thanks again
  • Teapot
    Options
    Hello just thought I would let you know I bought a wheat heat pad and it has eased my shoulder today. Can anyone suggest anything I can do of a night as the RA is in my left shoulder. I sleep on my right side and can't seem to get the pain/ache eased in the shoulder. Has anyone tried a memory foam mattress topper or the pillows or someone has suggested the V shape pillow. At the moment I will try anything to get a good nights sleep but don't want to throw money away. Many thanks for all your help and suggestions.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    As I've just said on another thread, I use a sprung mattress with the top 2"(?) memory foam. I also use a memory foam pillow but that's for my neck. Have you tried sleeping on your bad shoulder? I know it sounds odd but I find you know where it is then :roll: whereas, when it's on top, the arm strays into positions that make it ache badly.
    Steven Wright
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Hi there,
    If you go to your pharmacist they may be able to help you with some of your questions re heat pads etc. You have to be careful with some of the gels etc as you are already on anti-inflammatory tablets. There are quite a few on hear who swear by the v-shaped pillows but I don’t know it they use them at night or just if they are sitting watching telly for extra support.
    Oh and welcome to the forum from me too. :)
  • Teapot
    Options
    Thanks for advice - I have found the wheat heat pad which is put in microwave for 1 min excellent and it has really helped during the day. Decided against the stick of patches and now use gel/rub but have taken your advice and I checked with chemist, I put this on morning and night. As a newbie I am interested to hear from anyone who has tried these things. I am not due to see doc re RA until end of month and then hopefully won't have to wait too long to see rheumy. I am seeing a doctor this afternoon as I now have an eye infection which came up over weekend so think I may be run down as well. Thanks also for advice re sleeping I am now looking at memory foam toppers and pillows. Unfortunately I can't sleep on my left side but have tried. I daresay I will be back again soon with more questions. Take care all x