Trying to get RA under control

Options
mld
mld Member Posts: 45
edited 22. Feb 2013, 08:42 in Living with Arthritis archive
I keep on reading the forums and making the odd post here and there, but I think it only dawned on me last night that I don't need to be in pain the whole time!

I was taking Naproxen, but gave up when I had the depo-medrone (steroid) injection. Why did I give it up? Perhaps, despite the terrible mental side effects that I had, perhaps I felt better. I also was told that I could have a heart attack if I took them long term - I think I'm more at risk of a heart attack now as I can't walk anywhere, or do anything due to the pain.

I started on the sulfasalasine, but have had to stop it twice to go onto antibiotics. I suppose I was hoping to get a good effect from the sulfa, but none came, as I haven't been able to take it for long enough.

So this morning I'm back on the naproxen.

All I want to do is to be able to sleep without undue pain, and get up out of a chair without someone else helping and hurting me.

Oh, and I do want to increase my hours at work so I am full-time. Currently I only teach three days a week, but find this stressful - having to always be aware of what my stand-in is teaching at the same time.

I hope to be back on the Sulfa next Tuesday, when the antibiotics have finished (again, two weeks worth this time).

Oh, and I would love to get some form of exercise back - so I might go to the gym this Thursday pm, with a lovely group of people.

That's my New Year's Resolution - Just 1 month and 20 days late!!

Margaret :D

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Whoa there, Margaret :o I’m always advocating the value of exercise but how can you contemplate going to the gym tomorrow when you ‘can't walk anywhere, or do anything due to the pain’ and ‘can’t even get out of a chair unaided’? First things first.

The sulph should help once you are able to stay on it. In the meantime, you could probably have another steroid jab to tide you over.

I was on naproxen for years. Heart attacks were never mentioned but that might represent new research. However, if you had ‘terrible side effects’ why contemplate going on them again? There are other anti-inflammatories. Plus, for a better night’s sleep, I tend to go for pain dullers rather than anti-inflamms.

My advice re work would be to hold fire on full time until the sulph has kicked in. I get the stress about your stand-in but working with very painful joints brings its own stress.

As for the exercise – read up on AC’s booklet on exercise, get your muscles stronger and your joints well-supported then, when the sulph is working properly, think about starting very gently in the gym and slowly building up. Oh and either get an extra cushion for your chair or get some of those little cup things that'll raise it up.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • lizzy100
    lizzy100 Member Posts: 235
    Options
    can relate to being in pain all the time, and no we shouldnt have to be. hope the sulfasalazine works for you, i couldnt take it. if it doesnt, make them do something else. good luck.
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    Options
    hi Margaret

Naproxen is a good NSAIDs but there are several others you can try , would not worry about the side effects to much .

with RA you need a good Disease-modifying antirheumatic drug to stop the joint damage , myself been on Sulfasalazine since 1996 & never had any trouble with it , also take Methotrexate since 1998 which is a better drug but with a lot more side effects , they should be able to get your RA under control & you should not be left with the joint damage like those of us that been had RA a long time
  • mld
    Options
    Don't worry about the gym, I only do exercises designed especially for me and my creaky bones, especially the ones from the Arthritis Care site. I just like to be there with other people doing similar stuff, it encourages me and it gets me out of our flat.

Yes, I need to allow the sulfa to kick in. I will do. Going back to work full-time will be at least a few months away, but my contract comes to an end in August, and I need another job for September.

Thanks for your comments, I will keep on the Naproxen (it's even made a difference already today, in that I could get up from my "office" chair without help!).

Margaret
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Drugs such as Naproxen work better if they're taken regularly and that can also help the body adjust to them. I hope you have a stomach protector too. I am on sulph, I have been for over ten years now and it keeps my psoriasis under control. I also take methotrexate and humira for the arthritis but pain? It's constant, the dullers ease it a little but they don't take it all away. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    I do get the thing about exercising with others. Good luck with it :)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,444
    Options
    Hi MLD

I am so glad you are back on your prescribed medication and that you are already noticing results!!

I hope that you are able to get back on your supha very soon and that it helps you a lot.

I do appreciate the need to work and hope that the two, combined with your A/C exercise will get life back on the right path for you

Love

Toni xxx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Margaret
    Sorry I am late seeing this, like you I do worry about the side effects of the meds we take...especially the antiinflams...
    You do sound positive and that will help you to go forward, any exercise is better than none...so you carry on what you are doing..and I do wish you well with everything xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • mld
    Options
    Well, day three of taking my Naproxen and I feel like a new woman! I actually slept all the way through last night without having to think how I should turn over.

I spoke with a good friend at the gym and she thinks that the antibiotics I am on always helps her arthritis. So perhaps I am also gaining help from them as well at the moment.

I enjoyed the gym yesterday. I didn't do too much, just worked a few joints that aren't dodgy.

But as soon as Tuesday comes and I stop the antibiotics I will start the Sulfa again, giving it its third chance to work.

Thank you, I appreciate your comments,

Margaret
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I always feel better when I'm on anti-biotics, probably because I stop the humira and meth (I always feel better in myself if I miss a dose of either of them even though I grind to a halt). I thnk I'm right in saying that there is a train of thought (prevalent in America) that anti-bios could be a valid treatment for inflammatory arthritis. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben