Hello all

Options
jarvis483
jarvis483 Member Posts: 7
edited 21. Feb 2013, 15:35 in Say Hello Archive
Hello everybody on this forum.

My name is Martin Jarvis an i am 22 years old from Oldham near Manchester.

I have has inflammatory arthritis since the age of 17/18.
leading to Osteoarthritis.

Unfortunately it settled in my right hip joint at around 19. with medication and steroid injections etc it was kept under control to begin with. But with me being a young lad, i didnt take the disease seriously and had a major flare up resulting in me being off work for 3 months.

At this time i was a Prison Officer and so had to give up my job because i was unable to carry out my duties. this lead to a boring office job that i hated.

I then applied to university and began my degree. My condition was controlled until recently. i have had another flare up.

The arthritis has now attacked my left hip joint as well as my right hip joint. (brilliant) Ive been told to expect a double hip replacement within the next 10 years.

so thats my story. quite long winded but i dont think ive missed any essential details.

I have previously applied for DLA and a blue badge and was rejected at the first hurdle for both.
I am considering re-applying for both again as my condition has become alot worse now. if i am rejected, should i appeal or ask for a medical assessment etc?

i think my age may have played a part in being rejected but could never be sure of this.

so hello everybody.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello back! It's nice to meet you and I hope we can help with information and support. I have psoriatic arthritis in many joints and that has led to OA in my ankles, knees and now my right hip. :( I have a BB and you should apply again because things are deteriorating for you. At the time I got mine my GP was happy to support my application and I was using crutches but this was years ago and I know the rules and regulations have changed. I don't think you have anything to lose, surely it's worth a shot.

You are very young to be in this predicament and I am saddened by this. No-one is too young for OA (no matter what the ignoramuses tell us) and this must be so tough for you. It's bad enough for me and I'm over twice your age. Ye gods, suddenly I feel ancient! :lol: I wish you well and look forward to seeing your name here and there. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • jarvis483
    Options
    Thanks for your advice DD,

I will certainly be re-applying for DLA and a BB soon. I know im young to be facing this, but all you can do is roll with the punches with this illness i suppose, nothings going to stop it and will only ease up then get worse over and over.....
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    The BB is independant of DLA so go ahead. DLA is harder to get nowadays but I reckon your case is a good one - don't be surprised if you're turned down though, it's worth taking to appeal but the system will soon be changing to something called PIP - Personal Independance Payment (I think). DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • jarvis483
    Options
    Okay thankyou DD i will definitely look into all the benefits etc i can apply for.
    I work on the doors as a 'bouncer' at the weekends to earn some cash to help me through college and run my car. Obviously since the recent flare up i havnt been doing this.
    I may take it up once again once my current flare up has worn off and i am more able. but if i do give it up forever i will be out of pocket and unable to fund myself and my car through university. so would need some financial help.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    Hello Jarvis and welcome to the forums from me :D

I need a bouncer for my kids' joint 18th next month :wink:

Serioulsy in your shoes i would reapply for those benefits and engage the support of CAB too

Love

Toni xxx