Knee SOS

Options
Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 22. Feb 2013, 12:02 in Living with Arthritis archive
Evening all!

I'm in a little bit of a pickle healthwise at the moment with eye problems and thyroid problems causing a menace.

I have a rather large swollen lump on my knee. I ignored it in the hope it would go away. Now, I have pain....lots of pain! I've increased the pain dullers and I'm icing it regularly. The whole knee is swollen and the pesky lump is still there.

I have a GP appt next week but my surgery's policy is one problem at a time and this GP (as fantastic as he is) very much sticks to this rule. I have a more pressing issue that needs addressing now - optician thinks my Sjogren's Syndrome has led to cornea damage. :( But the knee pain is making me feel sick. I feel silly making a fuss because I have RA, so joints could be expected to swell but this is quite sudden.

Any tips for a miserable Sophie please?

Comments

• gilly1957
    gilly1957 Member Posts: 212
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Sophie

Sorry I have OA but have painful knees!! Also eye problems since I was a child and under active thyroid. So can understand where you are coming from.

Have you got a walk in health center near you, that you could go to? Or maybe A&E if it is really painful.

GP's all seem to be the same, one ailment one problem, not a lot of help if you need advice on several problems.

Sorry I haven't been much help.

Gill x
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Options
    Sorry I cant help either, I have OA. Knees just starting to give pain now and then. But I think I am lucky with my doctor. Whatever problems you have, you can go and let it all out with them. It doesn't matter how many problems you have, they will listen to all.
    Karen xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,444
    Options
    Gosh Sophie

taht is a bit of a pickle. Any chance of ringing GPs to see if you can have a double apt??

Otherwise I think I would brave mentioning both (V quickly :wink: ) because they are connected aren't they indirectly. I am guessing you need a referral to an eye dept too?? That should take 2 mins to tell him about and the knee another 3 giving him 5 mins to tell you what to do :?

maybe????

Oh or maybe you could try rheumatology nurses about knee??? maybe they could do you a jab?

Love and (())

Toni xxx
  • barry2013
    barry2013 Member Posts: 151
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    Gosh Sophie

taht is a bit of a pickle. Any chance of ringing GPs to see if you can have a double apt??

Otherwise I think I would brave mentioning both (V quickly :wink: ) because they are connected aren't they indirectly. I am guessing you need a referral to an eye dept too?? That should take 2 mins to tell him about and the knee another 3 giving him 5 mins to tell you what to do :?

maybe????

Oh or maybe you could try rheumatology nurses about knee??? maybe they could do you a jab?

Love and (())

Toni xxx

Hi Sophie.
    Really sorry to hear your sad tale, it makes me feel so glad my GP doesn't have this policy, you can asked as many questions as you like as they do not rush you out. I hope you feel better soon.
    Best wishes.
    Barry.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    I am sorry to read your posting. If it was me, I would address the eye and thyroid problems first . Then I would point to my huge swollen knee and large lump on on it which will be perfectly visible I presume and say the pain is so immense it is making me feel sick. Do I have to make a separate appointment or can you please take a look now.

Surely the gp will not tell you to limp away and make another appointment...... if he does I would suggest changing gps. I appreciate the policy of one appointment and one question but rules can be broken in some circumstances.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Is there anyway you could get a double appointment? Where is the lump, front or back? Above the kneecap or below it? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    I'd try the rheumatology helpline for your knee, Sophie. If they suggest you see your GP you can then ring and ask for a double appt.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    I knew I could rely on you! I don't know why but I hadn't thought of speaking to one of the rheumy nurses. They're usually pretty good, so I'll see if they can fit me in. I did check and my GP can't fit me in for a double appt but I'm sure if I smile nicely, he might peek at my knee. :lol: All I really need is for him to read optician's letter and make a referral as she (optician) can't do it directly. I would prefer to see rheumy nurse if possible though as this is their area!

DD - lump is sort of on/to the side of the knee cap.

Sooooo glad it's the weekend, I can rest!
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Awe Sophie just seen your post, hope you get things sorted out soon, thats good you will be able to rest over the weekend.........tc...........Mariexx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles