Dressing came off today.

Options
barry2013
barry2013 Member Posts: 151
edited 25. Feb 2013, 05:24 in Living with Arthritis archive
Took my waterproof dressing off today, seen scar for first time, looks ok altough it is weeping blood a bit at the bottom, bit scared as to weather or not I should exercise today for fear of making it worse.
Barry.

Comments

• babytiger
    babytiger Member Posts: 360
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Did the district nurse not come round to take dressing and stitch out ? I can't help with wound weeping blood (can't remember if mine did last time)
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    Barry

When my dressing came off and my staples came out the district nurse was concerned about the last few staples towards the bottom, but not overly concerned...These did weep a wee bit of blood but nothing to make me call the out of hours medical number she left me...I think the blood may be quite normal but as I've said the district nurse should leave you a number to contact if you are concerned....Think you will be okay doing rehab exercises but if in doubt get proper advice..

Elainexx
    barry2013 wrote:
    Took my waterproof dressing off today, seen scar for first time, looks ok altough it is weeping blood a bit at the bottom, bit scared as to weather or not I should exercise today for fear of making it worse.
    Barry.
  • barry2013
    Options
    Barry

When my dressing came off and my staples came out the district nurse was concerned about the last few staples towards the bottom, but not overly concerned...These did weep a wee bit of blood but nothing to make me call the out of hours medical number she left me...I think the blood may be quite normal but as I've said the district nurse should leave you a number to contact if you are concerned....Think you will be okay doing rehab exercises but if in doubt get proper advice..

Elainexx
    barry2013 wrote:
    Barry.

I never had a nurse come round, when I left hosp last week, was told to take dressing off myself today. I have numbers for the hosp if I need to use them, wrapped scar in cling film and had shower today, lovely.
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Barry

Well they must do it different in different areas...Of course you have dissolvable but I remember my dad had them and still had a nurse for the first two weeks coming once a week...Sounds like its safe and sterile that's the main thing..

Elainexx

I never had a nurse come round, when I left hosp last week, was told to take dressing off myself today. I have numbers for the hosp if I need to use them, wrapped scar in cling film and had shower today, lovely.[/quote]
  • Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    Options
    I would imagine it's just superficial bleeding and nothing to worry about, but what do I know. Phone and check before exercising!
  • barry2013
    Options
    Weeping blood has stopped, scar looks pretty neat to me, so hopefully at some time I may well be able to bend. Didn't have a good night as knee was giving jip. Going to try trip to supermarket today with Jim (keep an eye on what he buys) :)
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,444
    Options
    Very wise Barry - who knows what he's been getting up to while you been out of action :lol:h017.gif

careful you don't overdo it.

Love

Toni xx
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Barry

You keep him in check...I went to supermarket with me dad yesterday and it consisted of 4 bottles of wine, 1 bottle of whisky, some humous and grapes for me and then we had to go elsewhere for sherry for me mum! AA eh?

Elainexx
    barry2013 wrote:
    Weeping blood has stopped, scar looks pretty neat to me, so hopefully at some time I may well be able to bend. Didn't have a good night as knee was giving jip. Going to try trip to supermarket today with Jim (keep an eye on what he buys) :)
  • Helenbothknees
    Options
    Hope you enjoyed that supermarket trip, Barry. My first trip to the supermarket with my partner after my TKR did wonders for me mentally, even though it wore me out physically - I can't remember how long after the op it was, but not very long. It showed me there was still a world outside and that I might someday join it; raised my morale no end. I'm convinced such things are good for you, even if received wisdom might have been that I should stay at home.
  • barry2013
    Options
    Did two good walks yesterday and another one this moring, so good to be able to breath fresh air chat to neighbours, see the snowdrops, wonderful. Have very little pain in knee, is this a good time to cut down on painkillers or keep taking them until I see physio again on Wed.
  • Helenbothknees
    Options
    AFAIK you can cut down on painkillers when you don't need them, but make sure you can still do all your exercises without pain stopping you. I never had to ask that; I was on painkillers for ages, and still have aching and stiffness in both knees, particularly when cold and/or early in the morning. I've been told it could last a year or more. This is one of those things - like many others - that seems to vary a lot between individuals.
  • babytiger
    babytiger Member Posts: 360
    Options
    My waterproof plaster with dressing came off in bath last night. OOPS !
    good job I had a couple of dressings in bag,so Pete put a clean one on. I have found out I have stitches in my knee and not dissolvable ones