Hello

Options
Maemae
Maemae Member Posts: 8
edited 24. Feb 2013, 03:50 in Say Hello Archive
Hi I just wanted to say hello, I am a 59year old young woman, and have been diagnosed with osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis in the last 18 months. I wish i know which arthritis was giving me the most pain, when i ask they tell me not to worry which one it is, as the treatment is the same. At my last visit to my consultant at the beginning of December last year, i told him i was unable to bend the middle finger, of both hands,Its now Feb and i still cant bend these fingers, i just wondered if anyone else has had this, and if they can tell me how long it lasted ,and which arthritis it might be.Sorry to start off with a moan, but i don't know what to do. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello maemae. It’s good to meet you. I have RA and OA too but my OA is the result of years of RA. It must be tough, and confusing, to have been diagnosed with both together.

It’s not often I contradict the medics but whoever told you that the treatment is the same is wrong. The treatment for RA has to be organised by a rheumatologist and will take the form of disease modifying meds (DMARDS), usually methotrexate or sulphasalazine at first. GPs deal with OA. The treatment for that is pain relief and exercise though other pain-relieving techniques can help. What medication are you taking and how long have you been on it?

Not being able to bend – or straighten – fingers can happen. How long it lasts is an individual thing. Have you had x-rays taken or any other treatment?

If you post on the Living With Arthritis forum I’m sure you’ll get more replies.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • krisbe
    krisbe Member Posts: 95
    Options
    Pleased to meet you maemae, and welcome to the forum.

I didnt know you could get both RA and OA, you learn something everday. Is it just in your hands?
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options
    Hi Maemae

Lovely to meet you and welcome you :) .

I am guessing the doc meant that the treatment wouldn't change whichever type was worse rather than the treatment being the same for both as it isn't.

I think it's quite commmon to have both OA and RA and lots of us on here have both. Whatever age we might be :( I have both and can feel the difference between the two in myself

My question would be - when are you due to see the rheumatologist/nurse because I would ask them to properly look at your fingers for you.

Love

Toni xxx
  • Maemae
    Maemae Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Hi, wow this forum is great,its the 1st time I've used a forum, but my son suggested i try as he says" No one knows more about the problems than others with the same problems."Thanks for the replies and help I've had,they have really helped, i feel like someone understands how i feel,Its taken me a while to work out how to reply so apologizes if i get something wrong. xxxx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello maemae, I too have an auto-immne arthriits and the joint damage from that has led to OA. For the auto-immune (PsA, psoriatic arthritis) I take humira, methotrexate and sulphasalazine but they don't touch the OA and no wonder as that has a different cause. For that I take an anti-inflammatory and pain relief (although I prefer the term pain dullers 'cos that's all they do).

I had an operation for double carpal tunnel syndrome last November and I am still struggling with its after-effects but the benefit outweighs that. First thing I cannot make a fist but soaking my hands in warm water (or having a shower) helps. I have also bought some hand therapy balls (of differing resistance levels) and the exercises I do with them are also helping me to regain some strength and flexibilty in my fingers. In the past people on here have extolled the virtues of hot wax treatment - I haven't tried that but after some mishaps last night in tryng to remove candle wax from a glass holder I can see why it's beneficial. :wink: A good manicurist may be able to do that for you so you can feel if it helps or kits can be bought for home-treatments but I think it's best for you to try first.

Right, I am drooping with tiredness so am off to bed. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options
    Maemae wrote:
    Hi, wow this forum is great,its the 1st time I've used a forum, but my son suggested i try as he says" No one knows more about the problems than others with the same problems."Thanks for the replies and help I've had,they have really helped, i feel like someone understands how i feel,Its taken me a while to work out how to reply so apologizes if i get something wrong. xxxx

No need to apologise Maemae we all make mistakes. Sensible son you have there :wink:

I am so glad you are benefitting form the forums already....my first post/thread I bawled my eyes out at all the lovely lovely replies I got :)

You take care and I look forward to seeing more of your posts - please do coem and join us on the chit chat forums (for conversation/a laugh etc) ot LWA for arthritis issues

Love

Toni xxx