Puzzled

Options
Maemae
Maemae Member Posts: 8
edited 23. Feb 2013, 06:56 in Living with Arthritis archive
HI. Ive been diagnosed with both Osteoarthritis and Rheumatoid arthritis, but don't know which I'm getting in the middle fingers of both hands,which i cant bend, and haven't been able to since the beginning of December, i wondered if anyone else has, or has had problems like this, and if it is rheumatoid, or osteoarthritis. I take methotrexate 6x2.5mg once a week, and have had to come off salazopyrin as it made me itch really badly, I phoned for advice from the rheumatoid nurse, and to ask if my next appointment could be brought forward, but i have to wait until May, i have made an appointment with my GP, but i have to wait a week for this, I'm worried that my fingers might stay like this.I would appreciate any information,help or advice anyone could give me.

Comments

• PowerOn
    PowerOn Member Posts: 200
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Maemae you really have my sympathy.
    When things go wrong with fingers it is really worrying.
    I have OA in most joints and my fingers feel, but do not look, swollen and they will not bend in the morning or evenings.
    That is all fingers on both hands so I do not know if yours is different as it is the middle fingers.
    I went to physiotherapist who told me to hold any piece of cloth or cushion and "wring it out like a dishcloth" and to get the fingers moving as much as possible to prevent loss of muscle tone.
    My fingers do improve and bend in the daytime, I don't know if that is different for people with R.A.
    I hope the GP is able to help as waiting since Dec until May seems very bad service.
    Do you go to physiotherapy even one private appointment may be worth while if you are able.
    Did you speak to your nurse or to a receptionist?
    If not to the nurse ask to leave a message with her to get back to you or ask to speak to her over the phone.
    Best joke I ever read, "With that information and a diagnosis of spondylosis, your doctor can develop a treatment plan‏" or back in reality totally ignore you. Is ok I have a sense of humour and a boxing glove, not defeated yet.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,444
    Options
    Hi Maemae

Glad you made it over here. I just responded to your thread on Hello :)

Love

Toni xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    I agree with PowerOn that physio might help. I'd go easy on the dischcloth-wringing though unless told it's be good for you. One of my earliest physio memories is being shown how to wring a dishcloth without further hurting my hands. (Wrap it round the base of the tap then twist.)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hi, I too have two forms of arthritis, PsA (psoriatic) and OA. I think I have both sorts in my hands but the OA is prevalent at the moment. First thing I cannot make a fist and in fact things don't ease until I've either had a shower or soaked my hands in warm water. I bought some hand therapy balls from my local disablity aids shop (I had a double carpal tunnel op last November and I need to regain some strength) and I find gently squeezing, rolling and flattening those has helped my fingers regain some dexterity and strength. I have to watch out for my wrists though, if I overdo the balls they start to hurt. Sometimes one just cannot win. :lol: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben