Feel quite abandoned and lost by physiotherapist and just

Options
PowerOn
PowerOn Member Posts: 200
edited 24. Feb 2013, 14:16 in Living with Arthritis archive
generally because "nothing can be done for OA". << Title was too long!
OK, I know, not much can be done for OA which x rays and symptoms and exam by physio have shown I have in both knees.
Also with out x-rays but other symptoms and physio I have OA in fingers and most joints.
I had looked forward to going to physio thinking that exercises would save me from taking medication especially anti inflammatory.
The first physio appointment was great because I was given 3 easy exercises to do to prevent further muscle wastage (that appointment was the first I knew I had muscle wastage) and I thought the physio would at my next appointment give me more exercises and advice.
Instead I told him I was even more sore then usual as I had done so many of the exercises.
He said that was to be expected to continue with them then went and got wax bandages to wrap around my knees.
The heat never made much difference and I told him the pain I have in my shoulders, he said that is what happens with OA, once you have it it seems to go to all the joints and asked had I been tested for fibromyalgia.
Then he said the appointment was over and he walked me to the door where I expected to be given another appointment but he said there was nothing else he could do for OA.
Not complaining except that had I know it was the last appointment (2 appointments in total) I would have asked more questions.
The only exercise I was given for my hands is to "wring out any piece of cloth like you are wringing out a dishcloth"
My fingers are feeling even more swollen and stiff in the evenings now as well as the mornings.
I am so Fed up.
I have pain everywhere but the stiffness in my fingers worries me and I wonder if any one has any tips?
I know I keep saying I will start taking the anti inflams but now I may not have a choice. I thought the physio would give me great advice on how to prevent pain and excercises to prevent damage so I would not need anti inflams - poor physio, I think I may have expected too much.
I have been doing the exercises for 2 weeks now and my knees are killing me even though I have reduced the amount I do to give them a rest - physio says if I do not keep moving ( I walk and cycle) I will lose more muscle tone and get worse.
Antibody blood test came back normal as have all over blood tests
Best joke I ever read, "With that information and a diagnosis of spondylosis, your doctor can develop a treatment plan‏" or back in reality totally ignore you. Is ok I have a sense of humour and a boxing glove, not defeated yet.

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,443
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh Poweron

Poor you :( That must have been such a shock - only two appointments?? :shock: I would have expected the usual 6 you get.

I am thinking you might be better off trying to get referred to a pain clinic you know (see Hileen's thread for info) because you need time and the opotrunity to discuss different options of pain relief/strategise etc

I do feel for you you know - imagine that - out the door without a chance to say all you need to :(

Love and gentle ((()))

Toni xxx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    It's always unsettling when the rug is whipped from under our feet. You expected a longer course of physio and were just given the exercises needed plus a follow-up, presumably to see how you were getting on with them.

I think the idea of a Pain Clinic is a good one. You'll get more support there. Or you could see a physio privately though they probably wouldn't do much more than has already been done.

You might have to be prepared to take regular anti-inflamms. It's not so much giving in as learning how to cope.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    Poweron

I can sort of see both sides here but think your physio maybe didn't explain to you why he/she could no longer help you any further and just put it in a matter of fact manner...
    I have been to a physio too who did that, an ex army type bloke who tried taping my knee and giving me exercises but of course I needed a new knee so nothing would have helped....His manner was much the same as yours but I did ask him why he couldn;t help me further and he softened a tad....
    Maybe get back in touch with physio department and say you feel a bit short changed?

Good Luck

Elainexx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    The usual treatments for OA are pain relief and anti-inflammatories, then when things get too bad new joints can be disbursed if one fits the criteria and the right sort of joints are affected. If you don't want to go down the meds route then try supplements but, once OA has made its presence felt, it isn't going to go away. Exercise and diet won't stop its progress, neither will the pain relief, anti-inflamms or supplements but the former two (and perhaps the latter if one is lucky) do help to ease the worst of the symptoms. Phsyio is important but only to teach you the basics of exercise - and over-doing that is only going to cause more trouble rather than remediating things.

I have OA in both ankles, both knees, now my right hip and my hands too. It's also creeping into my neck because this is what it does. The meds I take for my other arthritis don't touch the OA and why would they? OA has a different 'source' to the auto-immune types. All arthritics have a choice - don't take the meds and endure or take the meds and endure with a little more ease. It's the latter for me every time but that is my choice.

If you do go the anti-inflammatory route please ensure you are also given a stomach protector too, that is essential. Good luck with whatever you decide. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • kentishlady
    kentishlady Member Posts: 809
    Options
    Am sorry to hear you are having a rough time. I'm an OA sufferer too, have got it in my back and now being referred for x-ray (on Thursday) to confirm that my knee has now come out in sympathy. Have also done a 'self-referral' for physio but seems the wait is likely to be 8 weeks before I can see anyone. Have had physio in the past for my back and normally get 6 sessions each time. Do think your physio was a little harsh with you and could maybe have explained things a little better to you. No wonder you are feeling fed up.

Do hope you feel a little better soon. ((())) Beryl.
  • lizzy100
    lizzy100 Member Posts: 235
    Options
    steroid injections can sometimes help. my phsyio offered me accupuncture. maybe speak to your gp about things?
  • chookgate
    chookgate Member Posts: 146
    Options
    Oh how I sympathise. I had OA in both knees, and could barely stand let alone walk. My GP refused to refer me to a consultant saying, "you need replacement knees, you can't have them, the NHS has strict guidelines regarding age and weight". In other words I was too young and too fat. What he did do was refer me to physio.

The first physio appointment - pretty much like yours - was hopeful and encouraging. The physio said he could get me to maybe 6-7 out 10 (where as I was currently a 0) physically. He didn't really explain how he would do this, but he gave me a set of exercises to do and told me to do them 4 times a day and come back in two weeks, and try a heat pack instead of an ice pack. I did the exercises, went back in the two weeks feeling that I hadn't made much progress because the exercises HURT, and the heat pack made it more sore. He said that's odd to the heat, and that's to be expected to the exercise, here's a couple of additional exercises, come back in 2 weeks. So at the third appointment, he then says "this is the last appointment, you're only allowed three, we can try acupuncture if you like, but it doesn't work for everyone". The acupuncture did absolutely nothing. "So," he said " the next step is back to the GP who will recommend steroid injections".

So what happened to getting me from 0/10 to 6-7/10? After three appointments I was in more pain than before, and had no extra mobility.

At this point, hubby stepped in, and said "what's the point of steroids if the knees don't bend and straighten due to bone growths? Pain killers won't change the physicality of the problem!" He took me along to a private clinic, and said "I don't care how much it costs - fix her!" (well along those lines anyway). I was in tears when I got home being told I definitely needed two total knee replacements - but 6 weeks later I had one new knee, and I couldn't believe the difference. I hadn't realised how bad it was until one knee was fixed. 3 1/2 months after that I got my second new knee. It is the best investment I've ever made. 3 months after the second knee, I can't believe how much difference it has made to my life. I enjoy standing up (couldn't do it for more than seconds without pain before), I enjoy going upstairs (going down still hurts a bit!), and I enjoy just being able to move around as I wish! I'm a bit poorer financially, and a bit bitter towards the NHS, but I love my new knees!
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Oh poweron I have been there , I have only had one physio and that was enough..I am convinced she didnt have a clue...really I should have complained and asked for another one, but I have a very good friend that is a physio so she gives me exercises to do, but she also says they dont always work depending on the damaged done...must say my neck and shoulder ones are the most helpful.
    Could you not ask for another referral..I remember the days where you would wish that a physio would sign you off.. now I think there is a limit on the amount of treatment we can have. x
    Love
    Barbara