Shoes after THR ?

Options
lazicat
lazicat Member Posts: 177
edited 23. Feb 2013, 09:49 in Living with Arthritis archive
Just wondering if its safe to wear heels again after THR , been in flats ever since my operation.
How do other people manage with "heels" ?

Comments

• barry2013
    barry2013 Member Posts: 151
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    lazicat wrote:
    Just wondering if its safe to wear heels again after THR , been in flats ever since my operation.
    How do other people manage with "heels" ?

Don't have that problem :P
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,443
    Options
    Now why is that Barry?? :lol:

Lazicat

You know I have no personal experience, but wonder if you could try a little round the house 10 mins or so carefully???

Unless of course anyone thinks it's a proper no-no. It's not the thing a person thinks of when having surgery or at their 6 week follow up is it?

Just a thought....you can get wedge type ones which give you the height WITH greater floor covering - maybe safer??

Love

Toni xxx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    Possibly I'm being over-cautious here. Mine is RA, everywhere, so high heels weren't an option for many years before my THRs and TKRs. However, I'd just be worried about 'angles' and what pressure they'd put on a new joint. If you no longer see your orthopaedic surgeon, I think I'd be inclined to ask our helplines if they could point you in the right direction.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Options
    To be honest, ever since arthritis was diagnosed I have not worn high heels. And especially since my THR. But on saying that I have become a lot more accident prone. As Toni said, maybe try around the house and see how you feel.
    Karen xx
  • Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    Options
    I rarely wear heels, but I do now and then, and my favourite pair of warm long winter boots have smallish wedge heels. I couldn't wear them before my TKR; it was too painful. However, this winter I've worn them lots with no problems at all. I never asked about this after the op, but I can't believe no-one would have mentioned it - after all, I'm a woman, and obviously one who cares about how she looks; the skirt I wore in hospital straight after the TKR was ethnic and colourful, and I think I even mentioned that I was looking forward to wearing pretty shoes again. So I can't say for certain, but I've never read or heard different, and if they don't cause pain, I can't imagine it being an issue.