I am taking less Co-Codamel

Options
PollySid
PollySid Member Posts: 343
edited 23. Feb 2013, 07:02 in Living with Arthritis archive
So far so good :)
I have tried previously to cut down on my medication as I am fed up with being spaced out and tired all the time.
I have read from some of you how you manage some of your pain without popping loads of pill, and that is what I want to be able to do.
I am not on a really high dose and have not been abusing the medication.
I have been taking daily -1x8/500 and 1x30/500 four times a day plus 4x Gabapentin 300mg (1 am, 2 lunchtime, and 1 pm).
2days ago I stopped the 8/500s except for the bedtime one. This seems to be working ok, no specfic withdrawal effects or extra pain (I was still getting pain on the higher dose anyway).
I did feel a bit odd last night when I went to bed, but once the nightime dose kicked in I managed to sleep right through to 6.30am which is really unusual for me.
This is my third day and so far no problems - my neck aches and I have noticed a bit more pain in my leg, but nothing I can't cope with.
I am also going to try to up my exercise, by going somewhere everyday, even just a trip to the butchers or a wander round a couple of shops, just to take my mind off anything that my body may thow at me.
I have been very reclusive the last year, not going out unless with my husband or daughter. That has got to stop and I have to take charge of my own life.
I don't know whether this has suddenly come to me because I am officially an OAP in 10 days time or that I couldn't cope with being on benefits and hid myself away.
Next step - get rid of some of this 14 stone that I now weigh :shock:

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    You sound very determined to become a fitter OAP, PollySid :lol: and that must be good. Take the med reduction slowly though so that your body doesn't realise what you're up to :wink: Same with the walking - don't get carried away and do too much too soon. Build up gradually for more lasting results. That should also help with the weight loss. Please keep us informed too as we all love success stories.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    That sounds to me as though are are regaining some control over matters which is a good thing. I think it reasonable to say that none of us on here have the lives we would like (mind you, there are those who are on the right path to getting back to what they are used to, lucky devils!) but there are measures we can put in place to ensure we make the best of what we have. I have long thought that learning to live with (and through) pain is part of the secret because if you are 'spaced out' all the time then you cannot get out there and do stuff. As Sticky said, reduce gently and I hope that things improve for you. A short walk each day is ideal, I must get back into that habit although I fear given the current state of too many joints I will be worsening matters rather than improving them. :lol: Good luck and keep up your good work. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben