Incapacity Benefit Medical?????

Options
mixednuts
mixednuts Member Posts: 20
edited 5. Mar 2013, 17:08 in Living with Arthritis archive
I've just had a letter through requesting I go to a medical to make sure I should still get incapacity benefit. I'm really wondering what to expect - does anyone know?
Thanks

Comments

• elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Mixednuts

It sounds like you will be going to a medical centre run by ATOS who do the medicals for the government...They will basically question you to see if what you have filled out in your last claim form matches what you say at the medical...You will be advised to take medication and take any aids of you ise them for waliking etc....Also if you have lower joint problems ask for a seat with 2 arms (it is easier to get in and out of and they note if you don't ask as they see that as you being fitter in one respect).....If you cannot do any of the exercises that they request you to do just decline politely and say you are unable to do that...Do not hurt yourself or push yourself for them....
    I wish you all the very best, please do not go alone, take someone with you and claim travelling expenses also if applicable..

Elainexx
  • mixednuts
    Options
    Thanks Elaine, your response is very much appreciated :)
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Mixednuts

There should be things on government website to read too? There are varying opinion on here about ATOS...I am afraid they fail too many people who need the benefits they are awarded but I don't want to say too much really....

Elainexx
    mixednuts wrote:
    Thanks Elaine, your response is very much appreciated :)
  • blueknees
    blueknees Member Posts: 90
    Options
    The walking test is now down to 20 metres. If you can't walk that far without severe discomfort make sure you tell them.

If you use a stick or other walking aid take it and use it.

Elaine's advice about the chair is excellent, don't forget it.

If you can't stand up unaided make sure you ask for help to stand up.

Good luck.
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Hi

Apparanlty you can also get the assessment recorded if you let them know before the time, I only found this out AFTER mine, if it is recorded they then cannot twist or lie about what you have said, also they can mis-hear when they are so harassed trying to catch up time, the discrepancies that were in my report were ubeleivable, this will not be the full face to face report, you will have to get in touch with the DWP for that, I suggest by telephoning as I wrote and never got an answer, good luck and keep us posted how you go ........................Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • toady
    toady Member Posts: 2,144
    Options
    20m walking is for PIP, is that right? not being able to 'mobilise' 50m is one of the ESA criteria that will get you into Support Group. I'm presuming that you will be moving over from Incapacity Benefit onto ESA (dwp link to the process here) http://www.dwp.gov.uk/adviser/updates/ib-reassessing-claims/ib-reassessment-process/

"1. Mobilising unaided by another person with or without a walking stick, manual wheelchair or other aid if such aid can reasonably be used.
    Cannot either
    (i) mobilise more than 50 metres on level ground without stopping in order to avoid significant discomfort or exhaustion
    or
    (ii) repeatedly mobilise 50 metres within a reasonable timescale because of significant discomfort or exhaustion."

There are points to be had for 100m and 200m in the WCA, but adding up to 15 points & over is only enough to get you entitlement for ESA, it's the 50m that you need for Support Group.

The criteria are listed here http://thefullfacts.com/esa/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1309 (I found this a very useful site).

One of the things to bear in mind is the repeatedly factor. From the DWP's own WCA training & development handbook;

"2.3.1 Support Group Criteria – Severe Functional Limitation
    The following criteria are used to consider whether a person may be eligible for entry into the Support Group. These are set out in terms of descriptors. Many of these descriptors equate to the highest descriptor within the relevant LCW descriptors.
    These descriptors are set out in the legislation and relate to the person’s ability to perform that activity.
    In considering each of these activities the concept of repeatedly, reliably and safely must be taken into account.
    If a person can perform a task but is unable to repeat it within a reasonable timescale the person should be considered unable to perform the task. For example, the HCP should consider what would be expected of an individual who did not have an impairment of their ability to mobilise. That is, a ‘normal’ individual would be able to perform this activity within a given time period and repeat that activity again after a reasonable rest period. The duration of the reasonable rest period can then serve as a basis for comparison to gauge the range of what is 'reasonable'.
    The safety of the person must also be considered in each of the activities. If a person is at risk when performing a task, they must be considered incapable of the task."

In other words, being able to walk a quarter of a mile one day but not again for weeks, you count as being able to answer 'no' to the question can you mobilise 50m.

Good luck & excuse long post, just trying to think of things that might help. :)
  • mixednuts
    Options
    WOW they really make it easy don't they!!!! :lol:

I rang to request the recording last week which the very nice man said he would arrange. The very nice man then gave me the phone number of the centre I have to go to (just under an hours drive - xxx..... I won't even be able to get out the car!!!) for me to check on the availability of a ground floor room. When I rang the centre, the VERY rude man there said there were rooms on the ground floor but it may mean that I have to wait extra time to be seen if I want one. The VERY rude man also told me they didn't have raised chairs or chairs with arms...... I asked how they can assess disabled people if they can't even provide disabled facilities???? I was told to bring my own LMAO...... I was gobsmacked!!!! Maybe I should just take my bed as goodness knows how long I'll be there. Thankfully my husband is coming with me - well he has to really as there's no way I'd make it on my own.

This really is the dumbest system going :roll:

Please note: I changed the initials in the post due reference to bad language. Moderator J
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi mixednuts
    Its disgraceful how they are allowed to treat people like this, you must report any one that is rude....we have had lots on here that have been treated like this, I see the others have given you some good advice...
    Good Luck with it all..and please let us know how it goes x
    Love
    Barbara
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    Hi
    It's a must you get it recorded they don't tell you about it but its been available for about 4 years you can refuse to go to medical if say no recording machine is available they never are but you are entitled to it!
    Take someone with you
    They ask questions to catch you out
    One thing I noticed when I had my ESA medical the person who assesses you is not the one working out the point system! I scored 6 for mobility but was told I scored zero! Was also told I was fit for work straight away but on receiving copy of medical he said I would be fit for work in 3 months!
    Not only that the same group Atos did my ill health retirement stated I had. Been accepted for ill health retirement
    I don't want to scare you but they are a devious bunch and in DWPs interest to fail us and say we are fit for work
    Tell them when you are at your worst
    I was told as I could hold a thin note file then I was able to use a keyboard and mouse which is not true due to all my pain and joint stiffness!
    Quite a lot of us on here have scored zero points and a lot if us are appealing against the results
    It's worth looking through our posts on horrible atos and any others related to medicals
    Good luck in your medical and hope the results are good for you
    Take care
    Maria
  • lululu
    lululu Member Posts: 486
    Options
    Mixednuts, if you refuse any of the things they ask of you then you will not get any points for that task, they will not bother to ask why as there is no box on their form for your reply so therefore they do not care what your reason may be, and they will not waste their time with discussion so if you do not want to score any points just refuse to do something. If you want to do well with your medical it would not be a good idea to listen to anyone who was awarded nill points.
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Mixednuts

I am sure the advice below is not meant to be unhelpful as it has come across...Nobody on here I believe just plain outright refuses tasks, they say they are unable to do them, there is a huge difference....Do not do things that you are unable to do, do not hurt yourself trying to do so, they wouldn't give a hoot either way....
    As for not listening to anyone on here who has been awarded 0 points, what a terrible thing to say? Many have had 0 points overturned so why generalise and make such statements.I sometimes wonder why people come on here being so unhelpful and negative but its one aspect of human nature....

Elainexx
    lululu wrote:
    Mixednuts, if you refuse any of the things they ask of you then you will not get any points for that task, they will not bother to ask why as there is no box on their form for your reply so therefore they do not care what your reason may be, and they will not waste their time with discussion so if you do not want to score any points just refuse to do something. If you want to do well with your medical it would not be a good idea to listen to anyone who was awarded nill points.
  • toady
    toady Member Posts: 2,144
    Options
    Re having your assessment recorded, it can indeed delay proceedings while they rustle up the equipment (though this can vary from case to case), this can be a good thing if you want to buy time - but do also keep in mind that the changes to the appeal system come in from April & you probably don't want to run into this if you can help it.

http://www.dpac.uk.net/2012/09/changes-to-appealing-esa-and-dla-decisions-from-april-2013/
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    Hi
    I agree with Elaine most of us have received nil points as I said before I was awarded 6points at assessment but none when it came back from DWP!
    Here are some facts I've found out since sending off appeal
    The option for the medical to be recorded has been around since Nov 2011 but DWP do not offer it!
    44,000 GPs have called for Atos assessment to be scrapped
    BMAs GP chairman has stated that 40% of appeals are successful
    A GP in Hampshire states " the computer based assessments are carried out by health care professionals but not one necessarily trained in field of a persons disability
    Also the cost of the appeals is 120 million a year and not the 50 million the government states
    It is worth hearing the opinion of us who have failed as we do know what we are talking about
    There have also been reports that people have died of serious illness but were told fit for work!
    At the end of the day it's up to you to decide which information or advice is beneficial to you
    There are a few forums out there specifically to help you regarding Atos assessment so just google Atos and see what comes up
    Keep strong
    Maria
  • deedeeitsme
    deedeeitsme Member Posts: 321
    Options
    I wish everyone who is going throught his farce luck in their claims/appeals. I am appealing mine (zero points) but have not heard anything from them since I started my appeal in Sept 2012. I did rufuse to get onto the examination table, not because I was being awkward but because I simply could not have got on it, it was set too high for me to get on (maybe this is part of their accessment, you struggle to get on, you fail medical because even though you struggled you did it) even with the small step underneath I physically could not get up there. My disability is more lower limbs than upper but because I couldn,t get on the examination table, meaning she could not examine my lower limbs, I was awarded 0 points. Rediculous!!

Hope all goes well. Dee x
  • mixednuts
    Options
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate the reply's and sorry Mods for the naughty initials :oops:

Any advice shared is helpful and therefore useful and that's what forums are for. Unfortunately some do forget that which is a shame but everyone is entitled to their own opinion..... except Atos of course who seem to have their own opinion but on a different planet to the rest of us!

Well, today I rang Atos to check that I was definitely having my medical recorded. They said it had been noted on my file and that my appointment on Monday still stands. They have given me the phone number for the recording dept for my area to ring to check that the recording equipment will definitely be at the medical centre..... Well I've been ringing them all morning and there's no reply!
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Mixednuts

You are right about the forum where everyone is entitled to their views and they are all taken into account...I just didn't feel lululu's reply was of any benefit to you at all and think she should have thought before posting and had to comment as it I just didn't see the point she was trying to make. However its your post and whatever you take from any comments I hope they are beneficial in some way...
    I wish you all the very best for your medical, when is the date again?

Elainexx
    mixednuts wrote:
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate the reply's and sorry Mods for the naughty initials :oops:

Any advice shared is helpful and therefore useful and that's what forums are for. Unfortunately some do forget that which is a shame but everyone is entitled to their own opinion..... except Atos of course who seem to have their own opinion but on a different planet to the rest of us!

Well, today I rang Atos to check that I was definitely having my medical recorded. They said it had been noted on my file and that my appointment on Monday still stands. They have given me the phone number for the recording dept for my area to ring to check that the recording equipment will definitely be at the medical centre..... Well I've been ringing them all morning and there's no reply!