sleeping positions??

Options
lizzy100
lizzy100 Member Posts: 235
edited 24. Feb 2013, 08:16 in Living with Arthritis archive
i know this sounds weird, but was wondering if anyone has any ideas about sleeping positions. I find that my hips hurt in bed, and i feel like i need a block or something to put my feet up on and that maybe that would take the pressure of my hips abit. but i do tend to move about alot in my sleep. does anyone do anything different?

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I no longer move in my sleep, if I need to change position I have to wake so I can move. I use a pillow under my knees or between them if I am lying on my side. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    Yup, I'm with DD a pillow between the knees, I also find a memory foam mattress topper helps me.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Sprung mattress with memory foam top. I naturally sleep on my side with my top leg bent and one side or other of the bottom leg but when hips have been bad I ensure the bad hip is always behind the other leg if it's on top. I can easily do this as, like DD, I can't remember what it feels like to turn over in my sleep. It just doesn't happen.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    I have 2 matresses and a foam topper which makes my bed quite soft. I can only sleep on my right side but I'm never comfortable whichever way I lie so am continually moving and stretching until I fall asleep. It's usually my spine or hips that are painful. Haven't tried the pillow between my knees because I frequently turn over and feel the pillow would just get in the way. How do those of you who use one manage when turning over?
    Christine
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,425
    Options
    It varies for me, but I often start off with a pillow in bed with my husband and I :roll:

Useful for between knees to stop spine twisting if knee falls onto bed.

My Ex MIL has fibro and I got her a bodypillow like you have when you are pregnant.

Lizzie I think trial and error is the answer - good luck

Love

Toni xxx
  • stickywicket
    Options
    applerose wrote:
    I have 2 matresses and a foam topper which makes my bed quite soft. It's usually my spine or hips that are painful.

Might your bed actually be too soft to support your spine, applerose? I took some time to be convinced of the importance of mattresses but, since my sons left home and, consequently, I've spent far more time in spare beds, hotels and sofa beds, I'm now 100% convinced that the right mattress is paramount.
    Steven Wright
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    Sticky, I did think at first that it would be too soft. Last year, my son bought a new bed but wanted to keep the mattress he had bought just a few months previously so I got the mattress which came with the new bed. Having nowhere to store the mattress I had till I could get rid of it, I just put the new one on top. It feels quite luxurious getting in to bed now. I had been getting sore hips and shoulders and it felt as if my mattress was too hard. It also makes the bed a bit higher so it is easier to get out of it. I should really try the new one on it's own I suppose.
    Christine
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I think mattresses and pillows are the hardest things to advise on as we're all so different in what helps. I also think we've all, at some stage, used your method of 'mattress storage' :lol: . It might be worth a few nights on just the one though (When your son's around to do the heavy work :wink: ) to see how you get on. If it worked out better, you can always buy those little 'things' that raise the bed up higher.
    Steven Wright
  • lizzy100
    lizzy100 Member Posts: 235
    Options
    thats interesting thanks guys. i tried a pillow but it just ended up on the floor really :roll: still think i need a leg block
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I find I start on one side then when my hip starts to hurt I turn onto the other. Then when the other hip starts to hurt I turn on to my back. I end up doing that all night!
  • mixednuts
    mixednuts Member Posts: 20
    Options
    Defo a memory foam topper here - I use a 7 " one with a pillow between my knees and ankles to keep my hips and pelvis stable. The memory foam supports my back really well and having the pillow between my ankles as well as my knees stops my pelvis twisting which it's inclined to do. Sleeping like this I no longer turn in my sleep at all - mind you I think the sleeping pills I take to knock me out also help loads in this respect :lol: