How do people here feel on methotrexate

Options
2»

Comments

• Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    knitter, the side effects for me were pretty rough at first but they've hugely eased up. :) I do get more tired the day after MTX dose and I do get mouth ulcers but both are bearable. I increased the dose very slowly and this seemed to help. It meant I took a longer time to feel the benefits but I think it helped me tolerate the drug.

[Text Deleted] If you do struggle with gastrointestinal side effects, injected MTX is a good option if you feel you can cope with self injecting but fingers crossed you won't get to that point.

Hang in there!

This message did not comply with the forum terms and conditions of use....
    3. "What works for you may not work for others, so please don't give other people direct advice" Moderator AC
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Starburst wrote:
    I tell people always take 5mg folic acid 6 days a week.

But not on a DIY basis :wink: Get the rheumatologist, or rheumatology nurse to give it the OK.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • knitter
    knitter Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Starburst wrote:

But not on a DIY basis :wink: Get the rheumatologist, or rheumatology nurse to give it the OK.

I'm prescribed 5mg/day by my rheumatologist so will continue with this, and the planned regime to increase mtx slowly. I'm feeling ok just now - the bowel issues passed (no pun intended!) by monday morning, but am tired so shall see how it goes. It's nothing like the overwhelming fatigue I felt prior to my first steroid injection. I'm trying to remain optimistic as am aware if I worry too much it can be self defeating.

Thanks, Knitter
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    knitter wrote:
    I'm trying to remain optimistic as am aware if I worry too much it can be self defeating.

I think that's a good attitude, knitter. Like Starburst, I can sometimes get an 'exhausted' day the day after my meth. I'm glad the bowel thing has stopped and I hope it all gets better for you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Starburst wrote:

Yes yes, do not do it without one of the above knowing! Should have mentioned that. :D

Glad things are improving for you, knitter.