Are mood swings common?

Options
babyg
babyg Member Posts: 17
edited 25. Feb 2013, 14:33 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All, it's me again. I'm just wondering if after spending half of my evening laid on my bed crying my eyes out, and generally feeling sorry for myself if this is common. I'm normally quite happy but this last week or so been increasingly moody, upset and not nice to live with. My pain has been quite bad this week as well. Are the two connected, or is there something else?

Baby xxx

Comments

• frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I have spells like that too. I think it must be common - we deal with constant pain and an inability to do everything we used to. I think we would be wierd if we didn't have mood swings! Having said that I have talked to my GP about mine when the bad mood lasts a long time - maybe you could talk to yours? Help may be available and not necesarily more tablets. You sound like you need a hug so ((()))
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I think it stands to reason that, if we are in a lot of pain, we are none too happy about it :roll: Over time, we learn to cope with what becomes a 'normal' level of pain for us but, chuck in a bit extra, or worries of another kind, and it can all become too much. I wouldn't call that 'mood swings' though, simply normal emotional reactions to life.

Mood swings, as I understand the term, are more unpredictable. They occur for no obvious reason.

If you've been in extra pain, babyg, then you clearly do have a reason and you're struggling to handle it. Be kind to yourself. Don't try to be heroic and struggle on when stuff's really bad. It might just be a blip that you can ride out or it might be a slight turn for the worse. If the latter, maybe your meds need adjusting.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • babyg
    Options
    Thanks for your support, just got back from drs where as soon as he asked me how I was promptly burst in to tears :oops: ( mortified) he seems to think it's just all the stress of the recent weeks events with seeing my consultant and him telling me there was nothing else that can be done, and to come back n see him if I was still feeling like this in a week's time.
    Thanks for the hug. Gonna look after myself today. XxxxxX
  • barry2013
    barry2013 Member Posts: 151
    Options
    babyg wrote:
    Thanks for your support, just got back from drs where as soon as he asked me how I was promptly burst in to tears :oops: ( mortified) he seems to think it's just all the stress of the recent weeks events with seeing my consultant and him telling me there was nothing else that can be done, and to come back n see him if I was still feeling like this in a week's time.
    Thanks for the hug. Gonna look after myself today. XxxxxX

Sounds like you are really having a tough time, there has been a couple of times where I felt I wasn't making progess and had a good cry. I wish I could help more, hope today is a better day.
    Big Hug on way from the wolds.
    Barry. xx.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It's par for the course. You are dealing with a deal of stress at the moment so no wonder your mood is varying. It is necessary to be gentle with yourself from time to time and you will learn when those times are. Take care. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    If it's possible go and get your self pampered a nice facial, massage or get your nails done a new hairstyle, I know this helps me when I am feeling low, it helps a bit to make you feel a bit better within yourself, sending some ((((())))...........tc.............Mariexx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi
    You will find that lots on here, have up and downs including me..I did think I had come through all that but now and then it returns...but you will get there...like you say have some me time..(((((())))) xx I always say it wish I could help more but you know we are here.
    Love
    Barbara
  • babyg
    Options
    I've done nothing today really apart from apply for ESA, and watch tv with my feet up. Feel a little less stressed. Hopefully I will sleep tonight, thank you all for your kind messages. I suppose I kinda expected miracles from consultant, then I would be going back to work. No such look! I was a carer 6months ago and was used to looking after others now I'm the one being looked after. Finding it hard to adjust. I'm sure with the support from my family, friends and of course everyone on here I'll get through.

Thanks again babyg XxxxxxX
  • kentishlady
    kentishlady Member Posts: 809
    Options
    Hi Babyg. I don't think it is unusual for these 'mood swings' to happen. I get them (far too frequently for my liking) and as some of the others have said, they do too. I suppose it's all 'part and parcel' of these varying forms of arthritis and not to be wondered at really when you think of what we all have to contend with on a daily basis. I'm having a bad time at present and it helps, just a little, to know that I'm not the only one feeling like that. The incessant tiredness gets to me too but I guess that is as a result of the constant pain that we all contend with.

Do take care of yourself. Yes, it does help to 'spoil/treat' yourself when you are feeling like this. Sending lots of gentle ((())). Beryl
  • babyg
    Options
    Thanks for ALL the support guys :D . I'm feeling a lot better now, taken it easy today, even though I'm still in pain. Hopefully I'll be able to sleep tonight. Hugs ((())) to you all xxxxxxxx :)
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Options
    I dont think I have spoken to you before have I. But I just wanted to say that I too have my funny times. Looking after a family and a husband who disabled. I'll just keep going and then suddenly I just seem to break.

I was away from here for a while but I am so glad to have come back. They are such lovely people who have the knack of giving you a boost when needed.

Glad you had an easy day today.
    Karen xx