Acupuncture

Options
Rewter
Rewter Member Posts: 77
edited 18. Mar 2013, 10:39 in Living with Arthritis archive
Good afternoon all,

Has anyone on here had acupuncture as part of their OA treatment on the NHS? If so, what are the benefits or did you see no gains from the this experiance?

The reason I ask is that I have been concentrating more on trying to sort out my back rather than the pain in my hips working on the theory that the hips can be replaced, my spine cannot. Things like tramadol, codeine phosphate and naproxen have little effect. I have been having physio on my back for the OA, mainly cervical and lumbar spondylosis but after 3+ months of treatment, I seem to be in more pain and stiffness than I started so my Physio has started my on acupuncture.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Worth a go, Rewter. I think it's one of those things that can make a difference though not necessarily :roll: I hope it works for you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Rewter
    I was offered acupuncture by the pain clinic, but turned them down..I know our Hileena is having it ..so hopefully she will be able to help you.
    I will PM her for you x
    Love
    Barbara
  • Rewter
    Options
    Will give it a go but not 100% sure it will work. I had my first session last week and felt no different though it may take a few sessions I guess. I must admit that having to lie in one position for twenty minutes pretty much had me crawling out of the door. I lock up if I stay in same position, it's why I get about 4 hours kip each night :-(
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    "NICE recommends acupuncture as a treatment option only for lower back pain. NICE makes this recommendation on the basis of scientific evidence. Read the NICE 2009 guidelines on low back pain (PDF, 980kb).

There is some evidence that acupuncture works for a small number of other conditions, including migraine and post-operative nausea. However, there is little or no scientific evidence that acupuncture works for many of the conditions for which it is often used. More scientific research is needed to establish whether acupuncture is effective against these and other conditions."

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Some find it beneficial, if you have the chance to try it then do so because you never know. It won't alleviate everything for ever but it may give some temporary relief. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    I have had acupuncture on neck, shoulder, back SIs...I find it magnificent at removing muscle spasms which means I can then work more easily to free the joint and move it. I do know others who have had no benefit and others who have passed out. I think it depends on the practitioner, the length of needles and where they get put. Give it a go, it can't make things worse!
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    I had acupuncture for my cervical spondylosis. It took a few sessions, but it did work and really helped for a while. It helped to free the movement up a lot. Worth a go!!
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Options
    I have to admit that I have tryed it. And I felt it didn't really do anything for me. But, on saying that I have heard of quite a few people that it has worked for. so, give it s try if offered. Anythings worrth a try.
    Karen xx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    Give it a go.
    Is it your physiotherapist that does it?
    I'm just finishing a course now. Its my physio that does it but he is trained in acupuncture.
    I find that it helps {not a miracle} but helps.
    I dont know how your authority work but mine seem to give you 6 weeks {1 a week} then a short break and another 6 weeks {or poss 3 weeks...2 a week} and thats it.
    I had a couple of courses last year.....June july time. Then he said that he would keep doing it if it was up to him but the "powers that be" said thats all they could do.{funding} Better than nothing I suppose.
    At the beginning of this year he suggested I give it another try. So next Fri is the end of my first 6 weeks.
    He had me on my front with my head turned to the side and when I got up after half an hr I could hardly move my neck. I talked to him about it. There is a hole at one end of the couch so you can be on your front with your face in that but didnt fancy that. :shock: So I just lie on my side with a pillow under one knee and its not bad.....a little bit stiff when I first try to get up but it soon goes.
    Keep trying.
    Love
    Hileena
  • AndyMaz
    AndyMaz Member Posts: 64
    Options
    I had 3 sessions with the Physio based at my GP's office, and I can categorically state it did absolutely nothing for me.

Lying down for half an hour was nice though.
  • Rewter
    Options
    Thanks for the responses all.

I will give it a go but based on my initial treatment, I felt nothing but aches and pains due to having to stay still for 20 minutes.

Oh well, lets see how the next month goes. :)
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    Are you only getting acupuncturet once a month.......I found that by the time i had reached my 6th day {going to my next appt on 7th day} I was starting to get really sore.

Love
    Hileena
  • Rewter
    Options
    I have it every other week. Due to work commitments, I can only attend every other Friday. Also, they want me in doing Hydro so I go every other Thursday for that. It leaves me going to the hospital every week so I can't rock the boat with my employer to go twice a week. :(
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Options
    I have heard on here that Hydro is very good. Maybe along with the acupunture it will work for you. Mine kept stcking the needles into the nerves, and I really didn't like the pain and when finished I was ok until I got home. Then all the pain was back with me.
    Karen xx
  • Rewter
    Options
    Just a quick update everyone. Unfortunatley, the Acupuncture does not appear to be working and with Physiotherapy doing nothing other than give me more pain, my Physio has decided to not venture down these avenues any more.

I will continue with Hydro but as have only had a few sessions, we have yet to determine if it will actually do me any good. :?

She has asked what the consultant has advised me to do since my last visit to which I told her he just past me on to Physio and had no further contact. It is looking most probable that she will send me back to the GP with the advice that I am sent to a pain clinic and a spinal consultant. The latter I am keen to do as they have only looked at my lower spine on Xrays and believe my OA is pretty much the majority of my neck and spine so at least I will know what is going on. They have also suggested some other therapy to which I will set up a new thread.