2 weeks since my op

Options
babytiger
babytiger Member Posts: 360
edited 28. Feb 2013, 11:24 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well its been 2 weeks today since my op and god do I feel tired,(either that or Pete's putting sleeping pills in my food lol)
Never really done much apart from exercises which seem to be going well,even managing to lift knee up a stair at a time without hip taking over,hard work and slow but manage about 5 stairs now.
Had a proper bath last night and really enjoyed it although my dressing and plaster came off but got Pete to put one of my spare dressings on .That's when I found I have stiches but the district nurse is supposed to be coming out on Thursday to take them out. Seem to be pretty well pain free papart from the odd niggle which is a bonus.
Still never heard from physio, they've never bothered phoning so I'll just carry on on my own .
Mollie,jack Russell would love to go for a long walk but don't feel confident enough yet although she ran around the block when I let her out the other day, me shouting her name and people looking but she eventually came back, little madam lol
Eileen

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    You are doing well, Eileen. Tiredness is part of the post op recovery. It is only 2 weeks ;) Your body need to heal and sleep is the best thing. Doing the exercises is great and a necessity too. Bet you would love to go out but you have to feel pretty confident. You should start with a very short walk always remembering that you have to get back too. ;) I did it very gradually. It was the best way for me. When I felt like going for a longer walk hubby accompanied me so I felt more confident and knew he could always get the car if necesary but all went well.

Keep up the good work. :)
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Eileen I am so pleased for you..you had such a battle to get here.
    Could you not ring the physios you know what the communication are like on the NHS..you just keep doing what you are doing but dont forget the rest bit..xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    Eileen

Sounds like all is going well for you at two weeks. I remember with mine at 2 weeks I was still getting up early and not sleeping well but eating like a horse!...The stairs sounds good, living in a bungalow we only have one in and out the house and as a result I'm still not great with steps....I also admire you having a bath.....The district nurse is coming thursday to take out your stitches, that will be interesting to see the wound in its bare state eh? Re the walk I used to just go round the cul-de-sac and my dad always accompanied me for the first 3 weeks then I went further and by myself....You should do the same start small and work up? Your Jack Russell sounds like a little rascal.....
    Sorry the physio have not been in touch, guess you get fed up of chasing people up...

Well done!

Elainexx
    babytiger wrote:
    Well its been 2 weeks today since my op and god do I feel tired,(either that or Pete's putting sleeping pills in my food lol)
    Never really done much apart from exercises which seem to be going well,even managing to lift knee up a stair at a time without hip taking over,hard work and slow but manage about 5 stairs now.
    Had a proper bath last night and really enjoyed it although my dressing and plaster came off but got Pete to put one of my spare dressings on .That's when I found I have stiches but the district nurse is supposed to be coming out on Thursday to take them out. Seem to be pretty well pain free papart from the odd niggle which is a bonus.
    Still never heard from physio, they've never bothered phoning so I'll just carry on on my own .
    Mollie,jack Russell would love to go for a long walk but don't feel confident enough yet although she ran around the block when I let her out the other day, me shouting her name and people looking but she eventually came back, little madam lol
    Eileen
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    Not doing much apart from exercises sounds about right to me. The last thing you need is to be pulled off your feet by dogs. That's your other half's job for a while yet.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barry2013
    barry2013 Member Posts: 151
    Options
    Afternoon Eileen.
    Sounds to me like you are doing great, it really is a crying shame your physio isn't helping. I find mine really helpful in keeping me on track. I went for a 30 min walk with Jim around our Park Home site, really enjoyed it. I have been told not to have a bath for 6 weeks, so just having a shower with cling film covering up scar. You take care and before long we will look back on this and have a good laugh.
    Barry.
  • babytiger
    Options
    Well I seem to have hit a brick wall today.I haven't got any strength at all today and so tired,have slept most of the day. Even my knee hurt this morning for the first time,maybe I'm trying too hard at exercises.I have tried phoning physio but can't get through to them yet.
    Mollie has just lain on the bed with me most of the day.
    Pete's on holiday next week so maybe go for a wee walk around the block
  • barry2013
    Options
    Hi Eileen.
    I like the thought of mollie looking after you, it will be good having Pete home next week, Keep on at that bloody physio, it really is appalling.
    Best wishes as always.
    Barry.
  • babytiger
    Options
    Barry it will be nice to have some company apart from the dog, she good company but her conversation is much to be desired altIhough she's a good listener lol . Will try them again tomorrow. My friend that was in hospital same time as me has never heard from physio either and she is further down road in Lincolnshire
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Eileen

Some days you will as you say hit that brick wall...It is a major operation your body has been through and its only 2 weeks...I remember too getting pain and ringing up the arthroplasty practioner at Wrightington, got an appointment and it turned out to be my ligaments still healing....These days will happen, sure things will continue to go well for you...
    Pets are a great comfort aren't they?

Elainexx
    babytiger wrote:
    Well I seem to have hit a brick wall today.I haven't got any strength at all today and so tired,have slept most of the day. Even my knee hurt this morning for the first time,maybe I'm trying too hard at exercises.I have tried phoning physio but can't get through to them yet.
    Mollie has just lain on the bed with me most of the day.
    Pete's on holiday next week so maybe go for a wee walk around the block
  • Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    Options
    I had to chase the local physios too, and for the first couple of weeks the ones from Derby, 20 miles away, dropped in since the local ones couldn't get it together...and I insisted almost to the point of hysteria (slight exaggeration!) that I had to have someone to check what I was doing. But to be honest it wasn't worth the hassle. All they did was check I was doing the exercises and tell me I was doing just fine. That's all the local ones did too when I eventually saw them. Excuse me, but I'm not a five year old to need sweet encouragement; I wanted facts, and no matter what I asked, I rarely got any, and when I did they contradicted each other. So my advice would be take responsibility for your own recovery, do your exercises regularly no matter how you feel, and don't bother with the physios. I'm sure some are great, but all the ones I met were, with hindsight, pretty useless.
  • elnafinn
    Options
    I had a good physio and we worked together as a team. she knew when I was ok to start the exercise bike and use the balancing ball. She gave me loads of tips on how and what exercises to do. I liked to be told by someone else that I was doing things right or to carry on with one exercise more than the other. She persevered with my knee bend in the early stages and I found her really great. She helped me immensely.

I would persevere Eileen with getting a physio appointment.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • babytiger
    Options
    I would love a physio ,even if its just to say everything is going ok. Also I would like to go on a exercise bike as I would love to get back to cycling if I could .I am going to give them another call today to see if they can get me in
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Eileen

I would say its maybe a bit too early for you to be on an exercise bike...I have only just started going on them again at 14 weeks, now at 17 weeks but its not easy to get back on them and I find it painful to say the least!....Good luck with the physio..

Elainexx
    babytiger wrote:
    I would love a physio ,even if its just to say everything is going ok. Also I would like to go on a exercise bike as I would love to get back to cycling if I could .I am going to give them another call today to see if they can get me in
  • barry2013
    Options
    Hi Eileen.
    Have just got back from latest physio app, and have to say I am finding the app's really useful. She is building up the excerise's I can do, adding in more, getting Jim to work with me at home, advised on coming off my tablets, am also now down to using just one stick. Off course we should all listern to our own bodies, but I feel really lucky to have a physio who is working with me. I would say it's to early to get on a excerise bike, I don't think I could yet turn the pedals.
    Keep on at your physio, it's so sad that our treament depends on where we live.
    Hope you are having a better day and isn't the sunshine lovely.
    Barry.
  • babytiger
    Options
    Wahaaaaa, success at last, finally got through to physio. they said they didn't have the right paperwork for me and can I come in the morning at 8.40am, well tomorrow I can't as I'm getting stitches out so I'll have to wait for the nurse to come. So she has booked me in for next Tuesday 8.4oam. My knee is starting to get sore when I bend it but there again I've stopped most of my painkillers.
    Since it is a gorgeous day today I took myself and mollie and toddled from the back of house around to the front .I seem to be a bit lopsided and was pulling to the edge of my left foot when I was walking ,really enjoyed the fresh air though and mollie behaved
    Eileen
  • Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    Options
    If you want an exercise bike, Amazon has nice mini-bikes, ie without handlebars; you sit on a normal chair or the bed or similar. I got a good one for about £30. Actually, I might be willing to sell it on if anyone wants to collect it; I don't use it any more.
  • babytiger
    Options
    Thanks Helen might have a wee look but I'll wait and see how physio goes
  • barry2013
    Options
    That's great news about the physio, let us know how you get on, isn't it a bit early to stop all your painkillers, I have stopped taking the Codeine today, but am still on 2 paracetamol and 1 ibuprofen every 8 hours. Good luck with the stiches tomorrow.
    Barry.
  • babytiger
    Options
    I think your right Barry, gonna start up paracetamol again because my knee is starting to play up
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Aw, our lovely Eileen, I am SO relieved that you persevered with getting in touch with a physio. Let's hope this one is a good one for you and you get on together because that makes all the difference. I did not give up my painkillers/anti inflams for a goodly while post op. I gradually lessened them which suited me well as I did have a lot of post op pain for many months but mobility was good. It worked for me.

After I had been on the exercise bike at the physio I got one FREE from Freecycle. I have used it every day since (a good 4 years) and wore it out! :lol: I am now the proud owner of another one courtesy of Freecycle and it is practically brand new. Check out your local Freecycle if you would like one of your own and have room to house it. People buy them and then get bored with them and of course they do take up room so they are only too pleased to get rid of them! I have had no problem in obtaining 2 freebies now very quickly. I am all for recycling! ;):)

Elna x

• babytiger
    Options
    Thanks Elna I will let you know how I get on. I will also have a look on freecycle for a bike,we have a spare room so can put it in there.
    Eileen
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Good morning Eileen, :D

Great you have the extra space. I hope you are able to take an exercise bike off someone's hands for them. :wink::)

Here's hoping your day goes well :)

Love
    Elna x

• babytiger
    Options
    Hello Elna, Well got stitches out this morning, they came out easily and the wound is looking quite good. Pete went upstairs because he thought there would be blood, (he doesn't do blood or needles) came down and said was there much blood ? none at all
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Hi Eileen,

Grand news re the stitches out and the wound is fine. Ian is like Pete and does not "do blood and needles" well either!

Gentle hugs
    Elna x

• barry2013
    Options
    Hi Eileen.
    Great new that the stiches are out and scar looking good, hopefully it's full steam ahead now.
    Best wishes.
    Barry.