new ache

Options
scozzie
scozzie Member Posts: 333
edited 28. Feb 2013, 17:58 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All

Hope things aren't too bad for your all.

I've been shoved on 12 hour night shifts for the week and now this one and although the work isn't hard I am feeling it, probably the lack of sleep during the day doesn't help.

I've been getting really sore legs, lower back and shoulders ... now the strange thing about my feet and legs I am still very mobile and intend to keep it that way for as long as I can. The last two Mondays I've been off and have managed to get out for 10 miles of walking (that's each day) in the cold, but beautiful sunshine we've had up here in Glasgow, yet it's the walking and standing at work that hurts.

Anyway this post is meant to be about a new ache which has appeared above my left wrist, to go along with all the other aches in my fingers. This new ache is on my lower forearm about where my watch sits in the centre of my arm. Now it doesn't hurt to touch nor does it burn so I'm discounting muscle and tendonitis, from what I can gather it appears to be possibly where the two forearm bones come together before joining the wrist proper.

Has anyone else been diagnosed with arthur in this area? Does it sound like arthur or am I just jumping to conclusions?

Here's hoping you all have a pain free week, or longer.

Cheers
Scozzie

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hi you mentioned aching fingers is it that you use hand different to how you were this could account for problem in this area you might need some suport to help . feet and legs hurting while at work but not on long walks you might find it either the foot wear or floor surface causeing pain if i walk about at meadow hell it makes feet anf legs hurt far more thsan if a do same walking in sheffield or around pond good luck val
    val
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I can't comment on the walking as I don't walk at length any more but it could be that you've lifted something awkwardly hence the hurt. I would try some D**p H**t (or something similar) to see if that eases things, rest the hand / arm as much as possible and hopefully things will get better. If not then yes, it could be attributable to the arthritis- it's a slippery slope for all of us, it's so easy to blame that for things that are just 'one of those things'. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    The arm pain doesn't sound familiar to me either, scozzie, and I have arthritis in fingers, wrists, elbow and shoulders. I, too, wonder if you've pulled or twisted something.

As for the sore legs - it might be that the floor at work is very unforgiving. If your walks are in the countryside, on grass or paths, that will be kinder on the joints.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • scozzie
    Options
    Thanks ladies, I think the difference between the walking out and about compared to at work is the walking at work is more stop/start, up and down, twisting and turning, while the countryside walks are at my own pace (still relatively quick) and in a meandering line with very few sudden changes of direction ... oh, and are far more pleasant!!! Plus there can be a lot of standing still at work on a concrete floor.

Fortunately the arm soreness has disappeared (for now), although I did feel the tendon on the other arm today.

Scozzie
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Good that the arm has improved. Not so good about the concrete floors at work. I don't suppose you could stand on a mat? It might help.
    Steven Wright
  • scozzie
    Options
    Thanks Sticky, I'm afraid I'll just have to put up with the concrete floor ... I'm clumsy enough without adding another trip hazard ... lol. I'm so bad they're talking about getting me my own accident book ... lol.

Scozzie
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I did wonder about that as I wrote it. It would be a concern for me if I were in your place but I thought if you'd to stand in the same place for a long time it was worth a shot.
    Steven Wright
  • scozzie
    Options
    I have done this before and it does help, it's just I stand still in about three or four different places on any given day ... so it would be a bit hard to keep a mat in each place without either anyone else or myself tripping on it (most likely me ... lol!)